• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

The MR1 Fuel Injection System Function

Konnie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ask:
Explanation of the MR1 Fuel Injection system, including the purpose of the bypass valve and its motor and how the pressure is regulated.

Background:
As I strongly suspect that something is wrong with my 2006 Yamaha AR 230 Fuel Injection System I plan to diagnose it by adding fuel pressure gauge(s) and use the YDS app.
But before I attempt performing the diagnose I want to make sure I completely understand how the MR1 fuel injection system works.
I've done a bunch of on-line reading, searched this site and watched YouTube videos regarding the principals of fuel injection (mostly conventional) but I still don't have a good understanding of the MR1 fuel injection system.
How is the fuel pressure controlled? With the bypass valve?
There is no return line to the tank!
Here is a link to my thread that leads me to believe that I have an issue with the fuel injection.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

the bypass valve has nothing to do with Fuel Pressure it is more like an Idle Air Control valve as it allows air to bypass the throttle plates which on an MR1 are not servo controlled but mechanical. The ECU uses the bypass servo to add more air and it adds more fuel when the ECU is commanded into either no wake mode or off throttle steering system to raise RPM's to a preset value and maintain. The fuel pressure is a deadheaded rail at ~47 PSI that is provided via the in tank fuel pump regulator assembly. what fools everyone is that the return is in the tank. the ECU turns on the fuel pump relay at key switch on and if it doesn't detect a running engine it turns it off until the engine is running.

@Robb235 has some great posts from his MR1 XR1800 build and I have some of this documented in 2004 AR210 repower with MR-1 HO's

This is a great help! Truly appreciate the explanations!

Oreilly or AutoZone will loan you a gauge with a T and some clamps that you can add in line to test pressure.

Mine was dead on at 50psi.

Is it one engine or both? With a barb and a length of hose you can swap the fuel engine inlets and test if the problem migrates with the pump swap.

Thanks!
The only issue is with the port engine.

I haven't had time to get to it... I have a couple spare gear reduction units.. Its on the list

Back