• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The only way to fly....

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahhh, I remember the arena football days working in the old War Memorial Arena at the Johnstown Riverhawks games...it was a dead town years ago, what the heck you got going on in that neck of the woods??? Must be health care they do have a nice hospital. Isn't this the town they filmed "All the Right Moves" in? Nice jet; I still prefer first class commercial.
I was wondering the same thing. My wife's family moved to Texas from Johnstown in 1980 and never looked back. There was no work and no money in the town after the steal mills closed.

@OCMD that is where "All the Right Moves" was filmed as well as "Slap Shots". My wife's aunt and grandmother were shown in the stands in one of the scenes in the hockey arena.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahhh, I remember the arena football days working in the old War Memorial Arena at the Johnstown Riverhawks games...it was a dead town years ago, what the heck you got going on in that neck of the woods??? Must be health care they do have a nice hospital. Isn't this the town they filmed "All the Right Moves" in? Nice jet; I still prefer first class commercial.
No, not health care.

They haven't closed ALL of the steel mills in Johnstown. There's small place out there yet that we do business with.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use to work for a Holdings company that was mainly land development but operated a carrier that flew part 121 (sub service for scheduled and some Adhoc for government) and also had part 135 (charter) operation. Our holding company had companies and locations throughout the Midwest and was always acquiring more companies. I ran IT and was also on the team that vetted companies for acquisition. Our 135 flew 2 G2's, 3 Hawkers, 1 MD-80 (nicely outfitted) and a King Air. I was on the short list of people that could schedule the planes, but knew better. Our owners were nuts and changed their disposition like grass in the wind. I always waited for them to suggest that I take a plane instead of flying commercial and they always did. Driving 1 hour to O'hare, waiting 1 hour for a flight and repeating the same the other direction was a waste of time in their eyes and I could be more productive if I drove 5 minutes to the hanger and in the air in 10. I usually flew the King Air for obvious reasons. The others were to expensive to fly and maintain, especially the G2's. The owners always took the G2's until they got the MD-80-7 (which, btw, was cheaper to maintain than the G2's). If I was going somewhere with the owners then I flew in the G2's. If it was a larger group of us without the owners (6 or so) we would take a hawker.

I say all of that to say, I really got spoiled. Being 6'4" does have its disadvantages that flying private overcomes. Then there is something to say about convenience. No airport drive, no TSA, no delays (usually), no short people reclining their seats and killing my knees. Those were the good old days. Then 2008 happened....... All of a sudden, the owners were saying, "why don't you fly commercial? You're not saving that much time." Everything changed. As the economy fell, so did our businesses. I left that company in 2011 and soon after both the 121 and the 135 filed for bankruptcy and later folded. God's timing was miraculous. I had not seen the owners since I left that company. Ironically, 2 weeks ago when I was headed to Dallas, the were on a commercial flight with me and we sat next to each other while waiting for the flight. Talk about awkward. I figure they were checking on their developments in Euless and Grapevine, TX (the only businesses of theirs that is still flourishing).

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sweet! I wish I could afford to do that over commercial. I got a taste of it once on a short hop from Napa to Fresno but it was awesome. The Sovereign has awesome performance.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I spent 10 years with the electric leash on my hip and a gentleman's gentleman so to speak as a corporate pilot before making the switch to the airline. Truth be told, I am one of the lucky ones to have had the opportunity to fly for the airline. But the "show" the airlines put on may have many disadvantages to corporate aviation travel, but it also offers way more than corporate travel does...affordability being the first. Now sitting in the back of the airplane and letting the crew whisk you to your meeting and back, or to the golf course...sure, you bet, nice gig if you can get it. Better yet, own the plane and fly yourself! Note to @jawsf16 ... zero cost to you, plenty of cost to me! I will let you know what my tax bill is via PM later this next year! :arghh: The actual flying is the fun part...the sitting and waiting SUCKS, whether commercial or corporate. When we did customer appreciation, I actually got to plan those hunting and fishing trips, and participate! Great fun were the corporate days, but the money, time off, schedule, and retirement sucked back then...but things change. No offense taken at all @biglar155 , enjoy the company plane!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Although I'd love to fly on a private jet there have been two occasions while flying with South West Airlines that the CEO was on the same flight as I. They made it a point announce that they had a special guest on board at the beginning of the flight. Something to do with company policies of not wasting resources and making customers more confident in the airline. I have to say it worked for me. That is, I felt more at ease knowing that airline's CEO was onboard (the same dinky old plane I was on, so if it goes down we go down).

As for flying a jet fighter, who wouldn't love to do that, all the latest tech and firepower available. Imagine speed dating with that occupation, "What do you do for a living?" "Fighter pilot." , but there are only so many seats available. I have to believe it would suck to go through all that training, committing additional years of your life to the military than somehow ending up flying a C130, flying gas station or Guppy transport plane instead of the F-XX like your some of your class-mates.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As for flying a jet fighter, who wouldn't love to do that, all the latest tech and firepower available. Imagine speed dating with that occupation, "What do you do for a living?" "Fighter pilot." , but there are only so many seats available. I have to believe it would suck to go through all that training, committing additional years of your life to the military than somehow ending up flying a C130, flying gas station or Guppy transport plane instead of the F-XX like your some of your class-mates.
Interesting you would bring that up (and since it's my own thread, a slight highjack is perfectly legal ;)): A classmate of mine at Michigan Technological University was headed into the Air Force to become an F-16 Driver. He went through all of their hoops, go his letter from the Governor, the whole nine yards. They had verbally guaranteed him that he would be an F-16 pilot. On the day he went to sign the final paperwork, he told them he needed the guarantee in writing. They wouldn't do it so he walked away.

Smart? Dumb? I dunno. He (like me) went on to get his Electrical Engineering degree and (unlike me) has continued getting degrees and certifications. (I always tell him that he's go so many letters after his name it's like alphabet soup.) He's been very successful in life (as I would expect of anyone with the qualifications to become a Pilot in the Armed Forces) but he did miss out on that Ride of a Lifetime...

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have flown military and law enforcement helicopters my entire life... even in law enforcement I am flying surplus military equipment. For the last six years or so I have had the opportunity to fly helicopters privately for some wealthy individuals, and as @txav8r said, it is an entirely different ball game (like flying to the golf course, or to a pro basketball game on the other coast).

It is a little more stressful at times, these guys have their own aircraft because time is more important to them than money, and that can make it hard to tell them that you have to wait for weather etc. I have really been fortunate that they are down to earth type people, and really go the extra mile to make you feel like you are just as important as they are. They always respect my decision making, and never make me feel any pressure to complete a flight.

And there are definitely the perks... like having to exercise the helicopter because it has not flown in a while, or needs a maintenance test flight. The perfect opportunity (with permission of course) for the pilots and wives to run up the coast for that $1000 hamburger. Having seen both sides, if I had to choose between the two, I would definitely pick serving the public. That's just what makes me happy... :) (but I'll keep that side job as long as I can!)

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biglar155 If your buddy was going Active Duty, there are no guarantees beyond a pilot slot, just a recruiter's empty "promise." If he washed out of any phase, he would still owe the AF time in another career path. Also, fighters are awarded based on performance with one exception. That exception is if you are hired on and sponsored by a Guard or Reserve unit. As long as you meet the minimums, you go to training for the airframe that unit flies. We have had a few cases where Guard students who were destined for Vipers ended up having to find a heavy unit to take them because they were not fighter qualified.

@Ronnie I am a Southwest pilot in my other life and Herb is THE MAN! I have never had the privilege of flying him, but from several of my buddies who have, his normal operation is this: 1. Casually board just like any other passenger. 2. Be insanely nice to everyone, because that's just who he is. 3. Spend half the flight helping the flight attendants pass out peanuts and chatting with customers. 4. Spend half the flight in the jumpseat chatting with the pilots. I particularly like that he does not travel with an entourage as well. Just an assistant or two at most. Our relatively new CEO Gary is trying to uphold this same approach which is awesome. I will say the new Delta CEO uses this same model from what my Delta buddies say. He travels through the airport in khakis and a polo, doesn't draw attention, and gets a true feel for the operation.

@txav8r I pay taxes too my friend! Granted not as much as you, it is confusing that I essentially pay a portion of my own salary. But don't worry, I have paid for that free gas in other ways, more precisely - my wife has! It is not for the faint of heart.

I apologize for the thread hijack. I figure that since I chose the military path (and as a result will never have the coin to afford or an employer with, a private jet) I had to get in my two cents. I must say those fancy jets do look cool when I peek inside at the FBOs! I always offer to trade the pilots straight up pink slips but they are concerned that my "employer" may get upset... Anyway, if you corporate guys ever need a pilot, I know a good one. But fair warning, buckle in tight because I try to go upside down at least once on every sortie!!:woot: PS - Don't tell Herb that...

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I apologize for the thread hijack.....
No apologies necessary my high-flying friend. The answer you gave regarding my buddy is exactly what I suspected.

I'll tell the truth: I'm into boats because it keeps me out of planes. I always tell my wife: If we lived a little closer to Oshkosh we'd end up divorced because I'd never be home. I'd be over at the EAA volunteering to work on the airplanes with all my free time.

I want to get my license someday but with 4 kids still in the house I don't think it's right for me to take on any additional risk. Risk aside, I lack both the the money and the time to be able to fly AND raise my kids.

15 years from now when they are all out of the house? Then it will be time for me to get my wings. (Which - to be honest - is a lot of the reason I've tried to become more health-conscious. I don't want to get diabetes or anything else that might prevent me from passing my flight physical.)

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Believe me @jawsf16 , ask any airline pilots spouse, they feel they have sacrificed having their husbands (wives) gone so much. But there is no comparison to the sacrifice that you and other soldiers give and that their spouses support. But the tax thing...yeah, your not winning that one! You have Tri care for life! I just learned our health plan that costs me 4 figures annually out of my pocket, is going to hit the Obama Cadillac qualification...so it gets trimmed to be in line with Obamacare. Oops, did I go political? Sorry, its kind of borderline...but, bottom line, enjoy burning all that gas up there! I guess I get to burn mine for free too...unless we get some profit sharing sometime soon! I don't think I could go upside down anymore...doesn't it make your hair fall out?:eek:

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How is the ride compared to a commercial flight?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How is the ride compared to a commercial flight?
Not too bad. Obviously if we get into bumpy air, it can be worse - the plane is much lighter so it can be tossed easier. All the times I've flown (and I've flown in a variety of weather conditions) the pilots generally fly AROUND the bumpy stuff.