• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

The stock HU replaced with what? Read on...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have had a time with the stock JBL MR18.5 HU in my boat. Phil Dill ended up changing both the transom remote and the wiring harness between the remote and the HU...before they found out that Yamaha did not want to cover the claim on a new boat. I just got a call back from the Yamaha Mothership, and Brad tells me that they will issue a $400 credit for me to spend on the HU. I don't yet know the pricing on the HU and remote, but I am wondering how well you guys are liking the new Clarion on the boats since they changed from the JBL line. I am also wondering if any of you have had issues with it, and what is the model number of the stock unit? Also, any info on the other Yamaha upgrade HU and remotes would be very helpful! Thanks in advance. To use this credit, I have to go to a Yamaha dealer, of course, PHIL DILL! But, what choices will I have there?

Mel, this probably wont help because of your situation 'cause it looks like Yamaha dropped Sony equipment... but I went with Sony when my JBL blew up and never looked back.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sony--dsx-ms60-stereo-w-ipod-tray--12100020

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sony--rm-x60-marine-remote-commander--10257806

I bought the two year extended warranty at West and have replaced the radio once with it for $25. Now I am having a small issue with the display on the second, but for another $25 I get a new radio and another two years warranty. I know that sounds bad for the Sony unit, but my JBL hardly made it the whole first season... the Sony remote has been rock solid on the swim platform and it lives in salt. I hated the stock JBL remote that came with the boat... not sure what the newer boats have for audio equipment.

I do love my JBL speakers though! Every speaker I own, everywhere is a JBL... there may be a Harman Kardon or two in the house...

As I said not much help... unless the warranty aspect makes it more worthwhile.

Ed

Thanks for the input Ed, @cwoav8r , every bit of intel is helpful! I am going to get stuck with whatever Yamaha sells. Otherwise, I might go with the Fusion that everyone claims is a great unit. It will just be a source unit for me, but it must work for volume control, on/off, fade, and source...the iPod can do the rest, and once this is fixed, I can get on with updating the speakers and add the amp and sub. Thanks again, I think @jawsf16 has a Sony HU he loves too. If I had that choice, I would take that route I think.

@txav8r , I really wish I had a sub :(... but I get really nice bass from the 6.5 JBL's and don't miss it that much. I'm saving my audio upgrade money for the retirement cruiser, if that ever manages to materialize.

I did score four free JL audio speakers / enclosures for the tower but never put them on... really need to get to that, so I need advice on whether to put them on a switch and switch the rear speakers from the floor to the tower, or just add an amp. I planned on only installing two 'cause one of the speakers was badly water damaged.

My previous SX210 had the junk JBL. always causing me problems. With my 212SS I now have the clarion and love it. Zero issues. Good sound with my polk speakers. I have since added a fusion bluetooth so hookup with my iphone is flawless. I do not have an amp nor do i play my music loud. I just use it to relax to when stopped for a while.

Thank you @CAM212SS , that is just the info I needed. Especially since I think this is the unit that I will end up with. I can buy anything Yamaha sells...but under accessories, they don't over HU's that I can find. They do however have access to anything that is in the boats as a stock item. Used to be they had HU upgrades, but now only speakers/amps/subs/etc...don't see HU's. The catch is always that you have to replace both the HU and remote if you change brands, so I am grateful Yamaha granted $400, as PD says they should be able to do the HU/remote/harness/labor, inside that amount. Wasn't trying to take advantage...just get what I paid for, a basic stereo system that works, including remote, in my new boat! Thank you Yamaha and of course, thank you Phil Dill Boats, Lewisville, Texas! And couldn't have done it without Toby, William, and Reed! Thanks guys! Anymore info and intel on the Clarion stock units will be much appreciated as well. I need to get the manuals and any tips in using it, for selecting source, fading, etc. Does this unit have a model number? What is its RMS power per speaker? Is this a 24DIN unit (doubt it)?

Mel I believe the current model for the Clarion head unit is the CMD8. I have CMD7 and love it. Ours sometimes gets a little picky when linking up to the iPhone via USB cable, but changing source away from the "iPod" and back seems to give a good file read of the phone.
Here's a link for the specs
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products-personal/marine/CMD8/specification/index.html#Fm-1Anchor
And a link for the manual
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products-personal/marine/CMD8/manual/index.html#Fm-1Anchor

Under audio the book is showing maximum power output as 180w (45 W x 4 ch)
Under Power Output the book is showing (10W RMS x 4 Channels at 4 and 1% THD+N)
Hope this is what you needed... I really know nothing about watts and RMS. I just like good clean sound and this radio does it for me
My Radio is the CMD7

I have the stock Clarion HU - not sure weather it's a CDM7 or CDM8.
I love it. Great unit. A superior upgrade to the previous JBL. This same Clarion came stock in lots of big money wakeboats and Cobalts.
I'm powering 6 inboats speakers with a WS HT6 and 2 tower speakers and a WS sub with a WS HT4. I also installed 3 PAC LC1's (zone controls) for inboats, tower and sub. Works awesome.
I too mostly use the iPod or my iPhone. But to keep them out of the sun (I fried an iPod once out in the sun), I just added a Rockford Fosgate Bluetooth adapter. I am very pleased with the system.
If my Yamaha came with that crap JBL, I would probably have replaced it with a Fusion. The Fusion line has a lot to offer, like built in zone controls - but I am very pleased with the Clarion.

Thanks again for all the input. I agree with your determination @octavio3311 , I too would be heading toward that IP700 or whatever that Fusion is, if I had that choice. But I can buy a bunch of speakers/amps/sub for what that would cost me, plug all I want is a source unit to deliver my iPod signal, the amp/speakers/sub can do the rest...and the zone controls will take care of balance, if I choose that route instead of an EQ. I talked with @Cowboy Casey today about stereos, and he recommended the EQ over the line level controls, but he mentioned that he hardly ever adjusted volume in a zone, and I can see it being a routine for us. And yes, the sun and heat is not friendly with iPods/iphones/ipads.

@txav8r - I strongly considered going with an EQ, specifically the WS one. But knowing that I needed to keep everything as simple as possible, with the wife and kids constantly adjusting volumes - me and the kids turning it up, and the boss relentlessly turning it down - the PAC's are as simple as it gets. Everyone on board knows which knob does what, and they work flawlessly. 1st one is for inboats, 2nd for tower, 3rd for sub. Here's a pic of them mounted - easily visible and within easy reach. image.jpg

Agreed @octavio3311 , that seems to me to be MUCH simpler for the wife to handle. Of course, she will probably just reach for the master volume on the HU! But making it easy earns brownie points...and I like to have a good supply of brownie points!

Mel, Just buy a Fusion head unit then you can control the three zones from the HU or any of the remotes. And you won't have to replace it every few years. And you may not need a separate amp. And it is better built. And, And, And, And, And! So just do it.

It isn't just a HU @Bruce , it is an HU, a harness, and a remote. I'm not sure, but that is a smooth $1K and lose my $400 credit from Yamaha. I guess I could use it on something else, but I would be spending it on something I don't want or on something I am buying instead of what I want. As they say, life is full of choices and nothing lasts forever...not even a Fusion HU. I had my JBL MR17 for 5 years without issue...I had my JBL MR18.5 for not even 3 months and it was in the shop once, replaced remote, harness, and then the HU crapped again. I am glad Yamaha is willing to fix the problem up front. I won't have the stereo done by BB, I will go for a ride at cruise speed with you, and see if the stereo puts out what I want. I need to hear pretty identifiable lyric and music, accepting that certain db ranges will be washed out by the engines and wind, but identifiable and enjoyable music while at cruise or WOT. That is the selling point for me, the wife could care less if there is ANY music at anchor, she just wants to enjoy while running. For me, it is true reproduction while at anchor. You know what they say..."if momma ain't happy"...Now lets talk about those trim tabs;) I want a full blown report on those!

It isn't just a HU @Bruce , it is an HU, a harness, and a remote. I'm not sure, but that is a smooth $1K and lose my $400 credit from Yamaha.

I have a $600 credit with JetBlue that I need t book by the end of August. Somehow, this $600 credit is going to end up costing me $3000......you know what I mean?

Fusion's support of the lightening connector for the latest iOS devices is what turned me off from them. It's a great HU, but the price kept climbing to support my media device.

@txav8r and @Bruce, I've said it before...I don't know why trim tabs aren't more popular on jet boats.

I have a $600 credit with JetBlue that I need t book by the end of August. Somehow, this $600 credit is going to end up costing me $3000......you know what I mean?
I "liked" this @SCSTWG , but I really DON'T like it at all, I feel for you, because it is the same. That $400 credit I have may end up having me use it for partial payment on something I would rather buy elsewhere or on something I don't need/want that much!

Any head units that can act as a am/fm/cd/dvd/usb along with built in navigation...

Ok...so it appears that I have a choice between two different Sony HU's and remotes as well as the Clarion CMD8 and its remote. I am told that the Sony remotes do not have the digital face, just the buttons, but are bluetooth compatible. The Clarion remote I am waiting for the model number, actually model numbers for all of it to identify my choices. @jawsf16 , jump in here and let me know your opinion here too since you have had a couple of Sony HU's, and do you have the remote for them?

So the choices are...
Clarion CMD8 with whatever compatible remote they offer

Sony
DSX-S310BTX (4 volt pre-outs with front and rear/sub outs has internal dock) more expensive but only because it has a dock internal for phone or iPod
or
MEX-M70BT (5 volt pre-outs with front/rear/sub outs (6 pairs!) but not internal dock) looks like the specs are better, no dock but connectivity is better and more updated than the 310 at a glance

PD only uses the CPS Products SRC2 non digital remote with the Sony HU's. They don't order or recommend the digital Sony remote, not sure why, but guessing it is a problem child, like the JBL HU's and their remotes.

PD says the Clarion is a more expensive unit than both of these Sony's. But looking at the specs, I think the Clarion only has only 4 rca outs-front and rear/sub outs as well and pre-outs are 2 volt I think? Also, both Sony's have removable faceplates I think, that is a plus.

What say you guys?

Back