• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

The stock HU replaced with what? Read on...

Sell the Yamaha credit on Ebay or Craigslist and get a head unit that you want.

They can actually order an HU from another supplier if I want. But it would be at more of a retail price, I think they are attempting to "fix" my issue without topping the credit. It is a credit at the dealer in my name and VIN. I doubt I could sell that, but don't know for sure.

Mel, easily adjusting zone volume seems to be an important feature for you. On the Fusion head units you simply press the volume button to choose which zone you adjust or all of them. When you adjust all volumes at the same time they adjust proportionally based on their prior settings. My zone 1 is my swim deck speakers and only controls two speakers (for now) so I keep it a little lower than zone 2 which has four speakers.

Here are a couple of pictures

FusionZones.jpg

FusionZones2.jpg

If I had to choose between the Clarion and the Fusion - I'd lean towards the Fusion.

I like that mex. It has the features I was looking for, which are three zone outputs, usb that charges and interfaces with iPod, and has mp3 disc capability(I leave one in the player on the off chance I forget my phone or ipod). I have the digital remote and love it. It has quite a bit of functionality, but the other remote might be fine too. Really if a remote will scroll songs, do,volume and mute, change sources and power on and off, I like it.

The one thing I can't speak to on that model is ease of zone volumes. Mine is super easy to fade between front back and adjust sub. I love this to,control tower speakers or,in your case swim deck,perhaps.

It seems PD is keeping you in a single din unit to make the install easier, just an observation...

The new CMD8 Clarion is a 2 din unit @jawsf16 . They only sell what they sell. But if I want them to go get what I want, they will...but I will be subject to retail at that point plus their markup. I will lose much of my ability to just replace what I have. If I were going to do that, I should keep the Yamaha credit with them, purchase the HU outright, and use the credit on something else. At that point, I am spending instead of having my warranty replace a broken component...and I am using the credit for something I really don't want or need. I think I can get either of the Sony's or the Clarion with remotes installed at no cost to me. Not being cheap here, but have other things I want and getting the warden to open the purse is tough! lol I have a call into Odin, I want his opinion on all of this too. @David Analog , what say you?

I can see this headed down a road I hate...a road of indecision. And I have zero music in my boat. I need to drop the boat at PD TODAY, or I won't have music the rest of the month. Going with some other line just not only adds $ to it, it adds time, waiting for PD to get the unit, and have to keep my boat longer. Yes, I could get the unit and install it...but that too takes time. This month is crazy, just two days off between trips. Unlike some of you guys, when you get off work, you can do a few projects or things around the house. I am not home after work, only after the trip, and days off only. So planning and "getting it done" is paramount right in the middle of the season. Haven't had an answer yet, may be the boat show, not sure.

I have a CMD8 that replaced my CMD7 under warranty when I took it in for the speaker popping issue. I was one of the lucky ones to get an amp in the very beginning.

I will say that I do have issues connecting my iphone to the unit. Sometimes I have to reboot the phone/unit to get it to read. There seems to be no difference between the CMD7 and CMD8 to me. I have yet to have any luck connecting an Android phone...

You are correct, the headunit does not have a separate sub out only a rear/sub combo that is selectable in the menu. I do like the EQ on it though....

I think with the rear 4 speakers amped, it sounds pretty good even when turned up. I am commonly the "music" boat. But I dont have a sub...

Do you have the full 5 year warranty on your boat? You could maybe negotiate giving you the extended warranty at their cost, and apply the credit towards that. Then just put the HU in of your choice, or tell them to replace the JBL with yet another of the same model and deal with it at the end of the year if it breaks again.

Thanks @RobA , yes, I have the 5 year YES already, and bought it at cost, so I did well in some of my negotiations. And since the yamaha support on the HU is a basic credit, I can take it on anything really as you suspected. And I am told that the sony or the clarion, including remote and labor, should fall under the $400 allowance. A Fusion wouldn't, but it may be that I could somehow get the Fusion, should that be what I wanted, but my fear is that it would be mark up on top of retail, and would end up costing me more than it would be worth. I think the better option is just like you mention, just letting them replace it with either the sony or the clarion and get on down the road, that way, I have sound, and can move forward on my amp choice and speaker upgrade. If I spend more on the HU, then getting the wife onboard with upgrading speakers at this time is harder. And I need speakers as bad as anything! Those Seaworthy paper speakers really suck big time!

No problem. I would just do the Clarion then. That way if you have an issue yet again, you would have OEM equipment and it could be easier for PD to get Yamaha on board for another warranty fix. I also like the clarion remote. It has an LCD and has been reliable with both my yamaha and my previous boat.

Sorry to hear about your speakers! I actually really like my stock Polks and would recommend them. I also had the Infinity ones in my previous boat and they were excellent as well.

Good luck whatever decision you make!

Yes, the seaworthy speakers were replaced with the polks in following years, but the 2012 still has seaworthy. I think I am going with the Sony, it is stock for PD and I think on the Yamaha as upgrades and even in one of the boats stock? Not sure on that one but was in years past I think. It has a higher pre out voltage, BT, and will work with my phone and pod. I do like the lcd screen on the Clarion and there is one made for Sony, but I am guessing PD has issues with it, so they go with the non digital remote for the Sony...not to PD yet, time to change mind! Again! lol

Are all the remotes the same size, and will fill the existing hole in the transom?

heck, I'd take that there 400 smackers and get me a Justin Bieber singing toothbrush and a bag of caramel corn.

bieber.jpg I only like two songs anyway :wacky:

Okay I'm blaming all of you guys! Especially you @Bruce . PD stocks and sells the fusion I ip 700 for their regal line of boats. That's what I got. Will cost me an additional $137, plus labor and tax. It's all y'all's fault!

Great Mel! Can't wait to see and hear that bad boy at BB!

I just put a Fusion in my boat along with four 7" Fusion speakers . It works great. I think you will decide that it's money well spent.

I can't imagine you regretting that decision and it is a great deal at $537 installed! Does that include the remote ?

Less 400 Yamaha Credit, plus tax and install labor.

Includes remote.

Could cost me big in labor...$95/hr.

Back