• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The the middle of oil change - need some help

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in the middle of pumping out my oil and far there’s only about 2.7 qts that pumped out. Now I’m just manually pumping and barely anything is coming out now. I checked the dipstick beforehand and it was about 3/4 to full. Manual says 3.9 quarts with oil filter total for the boat. I have tried fiddling with the tube down the dipstick hole and it’s stopped and it can’t go any further in. Can someone chime in and let me know if this is right or how i can get the rest of the oil out?

Attachments

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I've only done it once but had no problem. Was the engine warm? That helps quite a bit. Is the boat level? I wonder what the 3.9 quarts actually equates to on the dipstick. If you say it was 3/4s full that would make the 2.7 close. Some oil obviously stays in the filter so that eats up a bit.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw a video on YouTube and the guy pulled almost 3L as well. I know some of it is in the filter but not a whole to make a whole quart difference. Is the rest of the oil in the engine and I’m just not going to be get all of it out?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw a video on YouTube and the guy pulled almost 3L as well. I know some of it is in the filter but not a whole to make a whole quart difference. Is the rest of the oil in the engine and I’m just not going to be get all of it out?
I think I got just under 3L when I did it last season. I'm sure I posted about it (I post about everything). Let me go see what I can find.

Looks like I pulled just over 4L.

Did you warm the engine prior? How long did you wait for it to pull it out. I warmed mine up for a bit, then started the suction, then went and had a sammich/beer if I remember right.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ran the engine for about 7 minutes prior to starting - maybe I should have ran it longer but even so, the pump isn't pulling out much oil now no matter how much I pump it. In your link, are the line markers on your pump in increments of 2 liters each? The pic in that thread shows it only above the 2nd line marker.

In this video 190 Oil change, the guy only pulled out about 3 liters so I'm not sure what the correct amount is.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nevermind, I’m a dumbass. I was going by the ribbed lines on the oil reservoir but there are actual measurement markers on the side, lol. I pulled about 3.7L out which is about right

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nevermind, I’m a dumbass. I was going by the ribbed lines on the oil reservoir but there are actual measurement markers on the side, lol. I pulled about 3.7L out which is about right
Glad you got that figured out.

Also, feel free to join the "HELP" group. You can tag them by putting the @ symbol in front of the word help.....Like this @HELP It sends a notification to a very BROAD user group and you can typically get answers in minutes. I've used it on the water before and had answers EXCEPTIONALLY fast.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What extractor did you use? Is the manual pumping a lot or are they pretty efficient?
I need to get one and I can’t decide between a pneumatic and manual, although some have both.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What extractor did you use? Is the manual pumping a lot or are they pretty efficient?
I need to get one and I can’t decide between a pneumatic and manual, although some have both.

My extractor has both features. I used the pneumatic feature the 1st time and have used the manual pump ever since. Something like 15-20 pumps to get it going from what I recall and then a few more mid extraction when you hear it start to hiss... the one I picked up is by EWK on Amazon. The particular model I purchased is no longer listed.

I was surprised at how effective they are. As you are waiting the 10 mins or so for it to extract the oil, change the plugs. :)

Similar to this...

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My extractor has both features. I used the pneumatic feature the 1st time and have used the manual pump ever since. Something like 15-20 pumps to get it going from what I recall and then a few more mid extraction when you hear it start to hiss... the one I picked up is by EWK on Amazon. The particular model I purchased is no longer listed.

I was surprised at how effective they are. As you are waiting the 10 mins or so for it to extract the oil, change the plugs. :)

Similar to this...
Why’d you stop using the pneumatic? Just not needed?

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why’d you stop using the pneumatic? Just not needed?
Yep, Took longer to fill the air compressor tank and run the air hose to the boat, with little gain (if any) during the extraction process.

The EWK also has a cap so you can close the extractor and transport the old oil for recycling at the auto parts store.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i got this manual model..

pretty easy to use..seems like 7-10 pumps and it goes..maybe a couple more pumps mid way
my gripe is it doesn't hold enough for both engines, so i have to dump it in between.

i may pick up a cheap 12v model where i can run tubing into a 5 gallon bucket and do both engines....

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven’t seen those. Looks like an air pump. You just pump it into a bucket or something?
Yes. Clip it to your battery in the boat and pump it into whatever you wish. The nice thing about it as the oil gets low you can fish it around without losing suction and get a few more pockets of oil. If you want, like I did, I got a super long hose from hardware and now pump it into container outside boat on ground, mine has measurements on the container that are easy to read. Fairly rapid as well.

Someone here uses it and I bought it on their review. Also my dealer uses these and they also carry them when they are out on the Jet Ski Racing trail to change their oil. Seemed like a good choice.

FYI I have and use clear hoses on both ends so I can see exactly what is going on.

OBXjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Th
This one works fantastic

[/QUOT
Just bought this pump on aleko s website and it was $17
This one works fantastic

Just bought this same pump on Alekos website for $17.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the EWK pump (EWK on Amazon) and it worked just fine manuel. It does have the option of attaching a compressor as well.

So after finishing up my oil change, I realized that the oil filter I purchased ended up being part# 69J-13440-04. I was looking online and realized that the oil filter part number should be 69J-13440-03. Did I install the wrong oil filter????

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this the correct oil to use in an AR190?
CA7DBE19-FFA5-4691-A51E-7837BFE80D42.jpeg
I know i sound stupid as hell right now but I’m looking at the oil change kits for an ar190 and the oil filter part number i used doesn’t doesn’t match and the oil i ordered and used doesn’t look like the bottle that shows on the oil change kit. The oil change kit shows a different picture on it than my bottle and it says “four stroke” on it and mine doesn’t. I hope i didn’t use all the wrong stuff. I was so preoccupied with doing it right on my first time that i didn’t even confirm i had all the right stuff. Do i need to buy the correct kit with the right oil and filter and do this whole oil change again??

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oil is correct..yamalube 10w-40 4w
guessing the oil filter should be ok...this site shows that filter (-04) cross-referencing with

YAMAHA MARINE
  • 69J-13440-00-00
  • 69J-13440-01-00
  • 69J-13440-02-00
  • 69J-13440-03-00

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fact that the oil change kit shows “four stroke” on their bottle doesn’t make a difference?

After seeing that i didn’t have the exact same stuff as the oil change kit gave me that “oh shit” moment and I’m crapping my pants thinking i put in all the wrong stuff.