• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Things for kids to do while in the boat?

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The water temperature has gotten too cold for our kids to get in anymore but the air temp is still conducive to cruising the lake for at least another month or so. Without the ability to play in the water the kids (twin 6 year olds) are getting bored. What kinds of things do your kids do inside the boat to stay entertained while you cruise the lake?

I don't want them to start disliking going out on the boat, but I'm not ready to call it quits for the season either.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sleep. That's what our 9 year old does half the time. :p

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Sleep. That's what our 9 year old does half the time. :p
Exactly! So far, the three things they've got on their list are eat snacks, take turns driving the boat, and sleeping.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The water temperature has gotten too cold for our kids to get in anymore but the air temp is still conducive to cruising the lake for at least another month or so. Without the ability to play in the water the kids (twin 6 year olds) are getting bored. What kinds of things do your kids do inside the boat to stay entertained while you cruise the lake?

I don't want them to start disliking going out on the boat, but I'm not ready to call it quits for the season either.
When my boys were little we had a cabin cruiser. We set up a gaming system so they could play games. Fast forward 20 years, maybe a touch screen pad (iPad) to play with???

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Exactly! So far, the three things they've got on their list are eat snacks, take turns driving the boat, and sleeping.
Other ideas: let them drive, hide and go seek (LOL), get a sitter, watch a movie via tablet (get 2 so they each have their own)

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They've got Amazon Fire tablets. Thought about bringing those (and crossing my fingers that they don't get dropped overboard!).

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
They've got Amazon Fire tablets. Thought about bringing those (and crossing my fingers that they don't get dropped overboard!).
LOL, Tie a string from the tablet to them of the boat or maybe Velcro.

This hits close to home as I felt the same as you; didn't want the boating adventures to end and was desperate for a little bit more. Good luck!

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get those kids some cheap wetsuits and a snorkel to fight over.

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We don’t fish much in the summer but do more in the fall once it’s too cold to swim. Also we try to do more wildlife viewing in the fall.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
let them be bored. a skill thats being lost lol

i kid but, thats honestly my stance. My boys (13 and 17 now, but were 5 and 8 when we got into boating) just sit in the bow and look out at the river...or lake. Recently my older son brought a book-hes reading "1984" If we're sitting doing nothing, I dont mind if they have their phone or even a nintendo DS, when they were younger.

try board games...or cards.. We've played uno... cards against humanity... (dare you to do this with 6 year olds lol)

my 13yo took a nap Sunday while we drove and looked at cabins and the changing colors. then I took the opportunity of having no watersports to teach him to drive.... i believe that was our last trip. :)

enjoy the time while theyre little. :)

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
how about not complain and enjoy not being on your phone all day. We have taken up freshwater fishing after doing salt for my previous 40 years. I have found myself with a new tacklebox full of a slew of lures most of which ill likely never use. still waiting on that bass but winter is coming. I will let them drive. havent done that yet.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Careful planning and naps and other boat accessible places that aren't wet.

We did this with the 2yr old a few times this fall. Plan the boat ride to be right before lunch. Hop in teh boat, drive for a bit 30min or so. Stop for lunch. Let everyone get a full belly, and sit in the warm sun for a bit. When they get restless, pack up and start driving again. Both of my boys (2 and 9) will sit in the bow while driving. If it's a sunny day they'll both nod off and catch a nap. If you can come off plane gently, then you can just idle around while they nap. Usually get 60-90min of "nap time" for them. Wife usually naps as well, leaving me to listen to the radio and idle around the lake looking at whatever is nearby. Once they're all back awake again, we'll motor over to one marina to feed the fish. Then hop in the boat and motor over to the other marina for ice cream. Then go drive and explore that end of the lake we've never been too before, or go look for a new place to swim/hang out in the spring.

It requires a lot more "driving" time this way, and less "sitting" time. Which is OK with us. If you're a "drive to a spot and anchor all day" kind of family, then well........I have no idea :D

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for all the ideas! Today they brought some toy cars and such and did a pretty good job just playing onboard while I just cruised slowly along. Everyone was quite happy. They also spent time driving the boat, which keeps them entertained, and my daughter did very well with that this time around.

Those RC boats look sweet...we might need some of those!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The water in Canada is never warm, so these are a must....might help them get a few more weeks of play in the water?
Here in Ontario the St Lawrence area was 84f for July and August...almost hot-tub temps compared to winter weather.
:)

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Here in Ontario the St Lawrence area was 84f for July and August...almost hot-tub temps compared to winter weather.
:)
The warmest water we had this year was 70 degrees

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
By the way, things for kids to do?

Sit down, shut up and enjoy the ride!

Is that a viable option?

🙂😆🤣

JK

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am thinking of using my Gangplank float and play twister on it have someone on the boat spinning the pointer and calling out the instructions.
Would be hilarious. My grandkids will love it