• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about a new tow vehicle

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Im looking into the 2015 F-150's. Does anyone know when they will be coming out? I couldn't find it online. I do like the engine options and new interior design.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
A dealer in TN is getting one Nov. 10 and the one I just bought my F150 from said they will be getting them in Dec.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The new F150 has a lot of nice features and new-tech. But whats up with the new headlights styling?!?!?!? :eek:

I don't get it. Looks very bizarre. o_O

image.jpg

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Any body shop guys that can talk about the complications of doing body work on an aluminum body panel?

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah those headlights appear when u get a certain package that extends the grill out.

QUESTION

If I order one should I get the new 2.7 Ecoboost engine or the 3.5L Ecoboost engine. I don't tow my boat anywhere and would like to save some $ on mpg's
--Looks like the 2.7 has 325 HP and 375 Torque And is (Turbo) Ive heard this turbo burns through gas real quick
--The 3.5 has 365HP and 420 Torque , NOT TURBO

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have logged over 225,000 miles on 2 Dodge Rams with no major issues. So, I will most likely get another Dodge but I'm going to look at Fords first. Ford has come a long way in the past 7 years.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf I'd say you are in the minority, not majority. Look around before your next purchase, goodluck regardless

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
All the ecoboost engines are turbo. Make sure you do some reading on the issues they have had. google "ecoboost dewpoint"

Test drive a Tundra. The 5.7 is a beast for towing and Toyota reliability/resale is awesome.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pretty small group that have the dew point issue... Never had an issue at all with mine, or several other people I know. Hauled my 6000lbs on a 3000km trip through the mountains without a hiccup. Engine would be the least of my worries there.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I read they fixed that with Re gapping the plugs. The electronic's work too good on those trucks. My next truck will be an ecoboost.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So which one would be better on gas ??? or is the 2.7 turbo and the 3.5 basically cancel each other out as far as power and mpg are concerned?? The furthest I tow my boat is around the block 2x a yr..once to drop in and once to take out at the end of the season

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf I'd say you are in the minority, not majority. Look around before your next purchase, goodluck regardless
Which "minority" are you referring to?

For total truck sales? Yes, Ram has been a minority in total sales, but its also had the highest growth in sales over the last several years.

For miles driven? Yes, Murf may be in the minority for "only" 225,000 miles on his Ram's. I've put over half a million miles on mine with nothing more than regular maintenance that I do myself.

For trucks that are used for real towing? Clearly NOT the minority. 5th-Wheel RV'ers and HotShotters choose Ram+Cummins or Ford+Scorpion far more ethan any others.

For being the ONLY truck that won Truck Of The Year two years in a row? Yes, sometimes its good to be a minority! ;)

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

maybe in California...I see more broken fords in the farms around here than anything & no, that is not because more of them are sold here, it's because they are used instead of just driven around town....

also, how is an all aluminum truck going to maintain a decent towing capacity??

to the OP, all ecoboost are turbo, so check on that 3.5L that you are looking at.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They actually do offer a 3.5 liter FFV motor for the 15's and also a 3.5 liter ecoboost. So 4 engine choices 2.7 ecoboost, 3.5 ecoboost, 3.5 FFV and a 5.0 FFV.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah I saw that...the 4 options I just don't know shit about engines. Trying to figure out which one will be the best mpg. I don't care about speed or anything like that. when I spoke with ford on the online chat they wouldn't give me #'s as far as mpg....but he did say the 2.7 will have the best mpg of any ruck in its class...I told him there are no other standard size trucks with a 2.7 so what does that really mean...he said the 2.7will have he best mpg overall...soooo hmm

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This may be old school thinking, but in a truck, I'd stay away from the smallest engine. First of all, making hp & torque requires fuel - no way around it. I'd wager that the actual mpg of either the 2.7 or 3.5 will be very close when driven the same way. The 2.7 simply has to develop more boost to be able to have enough oxygen and fuel to create the power. Driven gingerly, the 2.7 would probably get better mileage. At that point, though, I'd have to ask - why do you want a pickup truck? It would seem to me that the 2.7 will just have to work harder (i.e. use more of its potential) at any given load than the 3.5 will, which in turn will need to work harder than pretty much any big diesel. Not to say "get a diesel", cause that's not the right answer for everybody.

Myself, having now experienced the utility of a truck that has enough capacity and power to do anything I will ask of it without breaking a sweat (Dodge 2500 + Cummins), I don't think I would go back to something that needs to be worked hard to achieve the same thing. This is not at all to disparage the choice of the F150 or any other truck. It's more to suggest that if you're buying a truck anyway, get one that can meet any potential need you'll throw at it, not just today's need. If I buy another truck, I'll likely step up to a 3500 as I just don't see any downside for how I use a truck. I'd much rather have the capacity and solidity that heavier duty truck offers than the better ride the lighter truck offers.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Which "minority" are you referring to?

For total truck sales? Yes, Ram has been a minority in total sales, but its also had the highest growth in sales over the last several years.

For miles driven? Yes, Murf may be in the minority for "only" 225,000 miles on his Ram's. I've put over half a million miles on mine with nothing more than regular maintenance that I do myself.

For trucks that are used for real towing? Clearly NOT the minority. 5th-Wheel RV'ers and HotShotters choose Ram+Cummins or Ford+Scorpion far more ethan any others.

For being the ONLY truck that won Truck Of The Year two years in a row? Yes, sometimes its good to be a minority! ;)
He's referring to Ram Reliability being the minority. There was one guy driving around town with a giant lemon on the side of his for a long time.

Maybe they've gotten better recently but they haven't exactly been trouble free trucks in the past.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=dodge+ram+lemon