• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about a new tow vehicle

prorider17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have saving $$ in mind, you should look into the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon. I originally liked the '15 F150, but a crew cab is expensive. That 2.7L ecoboost is cool, but I don't think the fuel savings will be great. I'm waiting for the diesel Colorado to come out next year.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
GOOD LORD, that Dodge ecodiesel has a 75.00 oil filter? It's 150.00 just for the oil and filter to change it yourself?? WOW.

Great Videos that guy has made,

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I understand it's a bit expensive, but it is also a 10,000 mile oil change. Highway driving is 28-30 mpg. Fit and finish of the materials inside are excellent and in my humble opinion, the nav/radio touchscreen control system is the best available. Dodge just announced a few weeks ago they are changing production with the 2015 units from 5% Ecodiesels to 20%... as they just cannot keep up with demand. One out of every five Ram's that roll out of the factory will be a dodge... just do yourself a favor and remove the door decals as they really are obnoxiously large.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank god that Fiat motor runs for 10,000 miles before needing an oil change! So it really cost $50 every 3,000 miles for oil changes.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'll stick with my tundra and its 45.00 oil change every 10,000 miles. I'd love to compare repair/maintenance costs in 5 years. And driving about 7500 miles a year 90% city, I'd never recoup the premium in gas savings. Plus it's hard to drive with a bag on my head so my friends don't see me driving a dodge.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 13 Platinum Ecoboost 4x4 Max Tow. The MPG is pretty poor. I love the truck, love the turbo power, it's as close to a diesel as you can get with Gas. If I were looking for something to get better mileage, I'd probably get the Chevy / GMC with the 6.2L or the Ram with the 5.7 L both with the middle axle ratio. Reason being the cylinder deactivation I think results in better real life MPG than the smaller engines because they can operate at higher MPH speeds than the smaller engines can stay out of boost. I also had the dreaded "loss of power" due to condensation issue. Happened 2 times to me in the first month I had it. It hasn't happened since, I have 19K miles on it now (bought new).

My Max tow is in the boost constantly over 70MPH and as a result the MPG go from about 19 at 65 to 18 at 70 to 16.5 at 75. That being said, there is always power and you can tow at any insane speed you want on pretty much any incline.

The bigger V-8's with cylinder deactivation can run in 4cyl mode longer than the smaller (5.3) can due to more HP in 4 cyl mode. It's counter intuitive, and I bet the EPA doesn't agree, but I just think that's the real life result.

If I could do it again, I'd get the 3.5 L with a 3.55 Axle ratio TOPS, maybe even 3.23 or whatever ford offers in that range.

The 2015's looks very interesting! The 700lbs savings will help big time with city mileage, I just don't think Ford has the answer with the small turbos for real life mileage. They may lead with sticker MPG, but if mine is evidence, they don't match reality.

Again, love the truck! Just not the MPG.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are towing your boat at 65, 70 & 75?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Still better then my 10 mpg with a 5.4

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
M6 6.2 Yukon Denali would pull the boat and get in the 12-14 range up to 75. My boat is closer to 8K to pull though. I just bought a 2014 F250 but haven't had the chance to pull with it yet.