• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

This should start some discussion... Outboard vs Sterndrive vs Jet

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The layout, high freeboard, and price / size ratio is what initially attracted us to the Yamaha. The jets allow a much better interior layout than I saw on any sterndrive or outboard.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the only reason I would ever be in a situation where I would not by a jet boat would be if it was going to sit in a slip or if I wanted a larger boat (>24 ft.) that was not available. I grew up with an outboard and as a kid and the propeller was something that you always thought about.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife and I just had this discussion on Sunday when we took the boat out for the firs time. Our four-year-old loves the boat, loves to go fast, and is all over the boat while we're underway. Nancy is concerned we'll hit a wave and he'll get thrown overboard from his favorite spot in the bow. I told her my biggest concern is him falling down in the boat and bumping his head. My position is if he fell overboard he might hit his head but perhaps not, but for certain he wouldn't be chopped up by a prop. I'd shut down the boat and jump in to get him. He might have a few bruises but he'd be fine.

Of course we have no concerns about people around the stern of the boat while swimming or getting back on the boat from water sports.

From the first moment we decided to buy a boat back in 2009 there was only one choice - a Yamaha jet boat. It turns out to have been a very good decision.
You didn't mention it, but I'm sure your son is wearing a life jacket. So if he did fall in he might be scared but would at least stay at the surface.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the only reason I would ever be in a situation where I would not by a jet boat would be if it was going to sit in a slip or if I wanted a larger boat (>24 ft.) that was not available. I grew up with an outboard and as a kid and the propeller was something that you always thought about.
We keep our 242 in our slip from April through September. I do usually pull it out once a month to clean the hull, scrub the insides, gas her up, and charge up the batteries. Due to a power line right-of-way I can't run power to my dock. I am starting to research solar solutions, but for a couple of grand our current process works just fine.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd take a jet up to one engine (20')

Any longer I wouldn't want 2 engines so i'd go with an inboard. Would prob have to settle on I/o.

Now for fishing I want an outboard but would certainly entertain a jet platform. Not a jet foot though.

If I'm gonna have two engines I want 35'+ Cruiser.

I really couldn't imagine my boat without 2 motors. I have twice the input that a single engine boat does and I have the ability to put one motor forward and one in reverse to allow the boat to spin on itself. Plus if one motor goes down all I have to do is hit my shut off valve and I can cruise back to the dock or beach to fix the issue or get home. With one motor I am stuck or wait along for a friendly boater to come along. Have you ever drove a boat with 2 jets @Gthunter5 ? I think if you did your mind might be changed. Don't get me wrong I love the 190 series boats that Yamaha puts out and was even thinking about buying an Ar192 but I came across my boat and one of my main buying points for my Yamaha was that it had to have 2 motors for safety/security.

Gthunter5

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never driven one with two motors so I'm not speaking from experience just opinion.

I'm sure it's a blast to drive. And I know it's much more manueravable than any inboard.

Just preference for me.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think, in general, the one or two engine question is better solved by where you boat and what you do with your boat. As for me, I boat in the ocean so from a family and safety perspective there is no question that two is better than one. I have towed two boats in three seasons. Both were single engine.

If you're heavy into the water sports or have a large family, therefore need a larger boat, a twin is also probably the best option. But to get back to the O.P's original question I think most of us here believe that jet power offers a lot of advantages over the other technologies. Otherwise we wouldn't be here as a jet driven community.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We keep our 242 in our slip from April through September. I do usually pull it out once a month to clean the hull, scrub the insides, gas her up, and charge up the batteries. Due to a power line right-of-way I can't run power to my dock. I am starting to research solar solutions, but for a couple of grand our current process works just fine.
I should have said "if I was keeping this in a salt water slip". That is just my opinion

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You didn't mention it, but I'm sure your son is wearing a life jacket. So if he did fall in he might be scared but would at least stay at the surface.
Yes the law in CA is kids up to age 13 have to wear life jackets. Fortunately the unobtrusive Puddle Jumper is legal for him.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or if you boated in an area in which you had to deal with a lot of surface weeds that could clog the pump intakes.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was pretty easy for us....

#1 Primarily it was the safety issue, we knew we were gonna have a lot of kids around the boat and didn't want to risk injury.
#2 We knew there were a lot of areas out here where only very shallow draft boats could get to....Privacy!!
#3 Maintenance issues.... well, the lack of maintenance issues to be exact....
#4 Resale of the Yamaha brand. Our boat is still worth 2/3 of its purchase price....
#5 "Camp-ability" for the boy and I to spend long weekends and breaks on in relative comfort....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We pull up to our favorite sandbar every weekend. Usually there is anywhere from 20-30 boats on that small piece of real estate. There is NEVER a weekend when I don't hear parents yelling at their children about playing around their props. There are several other reasons, but that's the only one I need.

Last edited:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Safety, best value, low maintenance costs, high resale value and knowing at any question you have about your boat will be answered on this forum in minutes by an expert. Couldn't be happier.

rick johnston

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
when you experience first hands the problems of props and lower units, you really appreciate the jet drive.
cheaper to maintain
safer to board and swim around
the worries go away when you drive between anchored boats looking for an ideal spot to make your own.
the list of pros go on and on.

the big rigs are nice but they come with a steep price to pay.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This topic annoyed me on another site cause people seemed to use safety as a reason to justify the purchase. It was not a factor in my decision. Until last year I had been propping since the 90s and had No issues. Do the math and compare how many props are in the water as apposed to jets, then factor the accident rate and its not even worth talking about.
I like the jet cause I primarily boat in a shallow river. Its surly not more efficient than my 4.3 gxi was on fuel.

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed the Yamaha was not in the comparison test. If you're gonna do a comparison, then use the best selling jetboat for that comparison, just sayin'. I can't say for sure the Yamaha is the BEST boat......but I got the boat I want, and I'm keeping it for now, cause it's the BEST for me and my family!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The point was three power plants similar hulls, same manufacturer, about the most apples to apples test you can do. I thought it was interesting that the Glastron has similar noise issues. Now don't get me wrong, I wish my 242 was quieter, but apparently the sound concentrates at the helm because no one else ever complains about it.