• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thought I made an expensive mistake

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kind of was in the same thought process as well after I did a couple 180's between two docks....I was nervous and hating the jet boat maneuvering. Read more on here, put the fins on it and it's been so much better. I did the same as kthrash; went the the middle of the lake and ran through every scenario to get comfortable on which way to turn the wheel, how hard, etc....helped me in a huge way! Good luck!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It took me awhile as well. The second year I started to back her into my slip. I hated to see people watching and when we had company on the boat I always stressed about this. Throw in some good wind and I may just as well drive her into the dock (HA). I found that my slip (or dock) size always looked very small when I was trying to get back in! I also got two of the telescoping docking poles (West Marine) and they provided the extra assistance to get in the slip or park for gas. They were a life saver as I was learning this. We haven't used those for over two years now but I still carry them.

For me using the throttles was the best way to control the boat. One way I think about how the boat handles when either going forward or reverse is to imagine a left parenthesis "(" for the left throttle and a right parenthesis ")" for the right throttle. In reverse or forward when you move the throttle that end of the boat follows the direction of the parenthesis. There is a you-tube on this that explains a lot better than I am. When you have two engines you can amplify this effort of course and combined with steering to can put these boats anywhere. Think if you put one in reverse and one forward the boat will basically spin. Another item to think about is that there is no real neutral. It took me awhile get used to this. You have to be very aware of your speed and position using forward and reverse to control the speed until you can kill the engines. There are still times when the wind is bad and if there is a current or big waves that I still may back off and try again. To be honest I have seem people with stern drives do this was well when the weather is bad. I saw one guy come flying into his slip (the weather was rough so going slow caused the boats to go everywhere) and he hit the front of the slip hard. He just says "opps". Loud enough that I heard him. I had just pulled in as well and we had a nice smooth landing :). It was a good day for me.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will kill one engine and use a single throttle end game if I feel the need. Sometimes it helps to keep from over controlling the thrust.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always dock using one engine as well.;)

Last edited:

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After three seasons I have found it pretty easy to dock the boat, load it on the trailer and the fuel docks, all without the use of fins. I'm sure the fins help but it is really a matter of knowing and feeling the boat, anticipating the wind and pre-planning your approach. Having a good person on the bow that can lasso the cleat to allow for the back end to come around makes it better too. My biggest pain is the placement of fenders not being low enough and then scraping the side of the boat!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My biggest pain is the placement of fenders not being low enough and then scraping the side of the boat!
I changed out to the flat Hull Hugr ones with the fold in them.

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just be patient and learn how to maneuver your boat. Take the time to learn how to drive the boat like a master. It does not take long, truly. When you actually think about it, you still need thrust to turn EXCEPT when you are coasting to a stop, in which case a fin might help a little, directionally, but not much for over 3000 pounds of boat coming to a stop. If this is the "slow speed assist" a fin provides, it isn't worth the 3-400 bucks or whatever they cost, but I digress......If you want to turn, you need thrust. As example, a week or so ago I was coming in a tight runway, not my usual ramp which was closed for a fair and a bass fishing contest. This ramp I was forced to use - I hate it - but is one used by the bass boats which are a breeze to turn at this tight ramp. You have to come in a narrow stretch of about 75 yards - long pier on the right, land on the left, and maybe 25 feet wide - yes, only one boat can traverse this "canal" at a time, unless you take one of the rental canoes out which launch from here. At the end, you must execute an immediate 90 degree left onto the ramp, which is not wide. I came in, turned sharp using the thrust, and docked along the left side of the ramp. We unloaded and I had to get the truck, and back it in. I had to angle the trailer back, because my docked boat was taking up much of the ramp width, it was that narrow. It was dusk, and all the contest fisherman were flying in one after the other as there were two ramps. Then the fun started, as well as the pressure. All those fisherman watching and thinking "No way this guy's gonna' put that on the trailer." I'm sure they had wanted me to put on a "crash into the dock" show, as I was the one ripping up and down the river on tubes and boards all day, probably disturbing the hell out of them even though I respected them by no waking constantly as I passed them. So after dunking the trailer in, I had to get back in the boat, and back up - of course, there was barely any room to maneuver, because of the long "runway" pier which runs the length to the rear where on the other side, you can hook up to for a rest or to get gas. Plus my trailer was backed in at an angle. What fun. Considering there was zero margin for error with both the turning radius, the sides of the dock, and the long pier which outlined the runway in the rear, I thought "Oh well, this is it. I will crash the dock and laugh, saying it's my first day out" to the fishermen. Like hell. I backed the sucker up, and knowing how you have to trust your instinct and the power of hard thrust/turns/ forward/backward throttles at the same time, I backed up. As I got moving, there was no room for error as I started closing in on the pier behind me. Boom, power thrust forward left, a touch of medium reverse right and that thing started to turn on a dime - slow, but it started to turn. I mean, to do this you have to hit the power hard forward on one side reverse on the other to make that baby move. I may have the motions mixed up as it is only natural to me when on the boat, and not in re-hashing instant replay. Once I got it moving the way I needed, I had to reverse/opposite the thrust to stop the motion that direction and to get it to "straighten out" for my angled trailer. Then slam both into reverse slide straight back from the angled trailer. All the while I'm thinking "Holy shit" this really works! (Yes, years of practice) As I was now enough behind the trailer, and straight on at the "angle." As I profess, you have to trust the power of thrusting forward and backwards at the same time to make the boat dance. I quickly hit the forward thrust hard to not only stop the retreat into the pier, but to start the forward momentum, as I was moving backwards and closer to hitting the pier. Then I cut power as I drifted right onto the center of the boards. Unfortunately I didn't power long enough, so I had to jump out, hook the winch, and pull it up about 6 feet. If I kept the power on another second, I would have been able to hit the bow stop but figured better safe than sorry. All told, this maneuver, thinking back, took perhaps 45 seconds. Boom boom boom no time for error and trust the power to make the boat dance! As you can imagine, it was a great feeling watching all those clowns preparing to snicker their asses off, have to go back to their business with nary a word to me. They had no choice but to acknowledge, albeit silently, that they were in the presence of a master, and witnessed The Master making his monster (in comparison to a bass boat) dance in place, basically, without missing a beat. Would fins have helped in this tight, tight space? Absolutely not. I had to either control the boat with raw thrusting power, or crash into the dock. Practice and experience is all it takes. Do not believe the over marketed hype regarding the fins. Take the time to learn the physics of your boat, and don't throw your hands up and buy fins in frustration They are simply not needed to make the boat dance.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Wasaga weekender

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks to everyone that responded to my original post. All is good in my jet boat world. I often got up early in the morning this season and practiced my tight quarters maneuvering around the fuel docks when nobody was around. My comfort level increased quite rapidly. We had a great season tubing and wake boarding (when Georgian Bay was calm enough) and I got good use from the tower mounted mirror and wake board racks that I added. Both from Samson. The mirror is a great feature that every boater could use to increase their overall awareness level.
Even though I achieved a high level of confidence and didn't think I needed them, I did add Thrust Vectors. At low speed, they remind me of my first car that didn't have power steering. The feeling of more resistance is great. I now control my boat at low speeds like a boss and I think I have more control than I ever did in my previous stern drive I/O boat. On the rare occasion that I do get to be the one at the end of the wake board rope, the Thrust Vectors have given my wife more confidence circling around and maneuvering when it's time for me to get out of the water.
Now that I truly Love the boat, I just need to curb the temptation to spend on upgrades.
I think I will jump in on the group buy to replace the carpet with Sea Deck from Jet Boat Pilot.
Have been very disappointed with the distortion and lack of power from the rear speakers on my 2014 242 Limited S so I have been exploring my different options.
Great forum. Thanks again for all the support and words of encouragement at the beginning of the season.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just be patient and learn how to maneuver your boat. Take the time to learn how to drive the boat like a master. It does not take long, truly. When you actually think about it, you still need thrust to turn EXCEPT when you are coasting to a stop, in which case a fin might help a little, directionally, but not much for over 3000 pounds of boat coming to a stop. If this is the "slow speed assist" a fin provides, it isn't worth the 3-400 bucks or whatever they cost, but I digress......If you want to turn, you need thrust. As example, a week or so ago I was coming in a tight runway, not my usual ramp which was closed for a fair and a bass fishing contest. This ramp I was forced to use - I hate it - but is one used by the bass boats which are a breeze to turn at this tight ramp. You have to come in a narrow stretch of about 75 yards - long pier on the right, land on the left, and maybe 25 feet wide - yes, only one boat can traverse this "canal" at a time, unless you take one of the rental canoes out which launch from here. At the end, you must execute an immediate 90 degree left onto the ramp, which is not wide. I came in, turned sharp using the thrust, and docked along the left side of the ramp. We unloaded and I had to get the truck, and back it in. I had to angle the trailer back, because my docked boat was taking up much of the ramp width, it was that narrow. It was dusk, and all the contest fisherman were flying in one after the other as there were two ramps. Then the fun started, as well as the pressure. All those fisherman watching and thinking "No way this guy's gonna' put that on the trailer." I'm sure they had wanted me to put on a "crash into the dock" show, as I was the one ripping up and down the river on tubes and boards all day, probably disturbing the hell out of them even though I respected them by no waking constantly as I passed them. So after dunking the trailer in, I had to get back in the boat, and back up - of course, there was barely any room to maneuver, because of the long "runway" pier which runs the length to the rear where on the other side, you can hook up to for a rest or to get gas. Plus my trailer was backed in at an angle. What fun. Considering there was zero margin for error with both the turning radius, the sides of the dock, and the long pier which outlined the runway in the rear, I thought "Oh well, this is it. I will crash the dock and laugh, saying it's my first day out" to the fishermen. Like hell. I backed the sucker up, and knowing how you have to trust your instinct and the power of hard thrust/turns/ forward/backward throttles at the same time, I backed up. As I got moving, there was no room for error as I started closing in on the pier behind me. Boom, power thrust forward left, a touch of medium reverse right and that thing started to turn on a dime - slow, but it started to turn. I mean, to do this you have to hit the power hard forward on one side reverse on the other to make that baby move. I may have the motions mixed up as it is only natural to me when on the boat, and not in re-hashing instant replay. Once I got it moving the way I needed, I had to reverse/opposite the thrust to stop the motion that direction and to get it to "straighten out" for my angled trailer. Then slam both into reverse slide straight back from the angled trailer. All the while I'm thinking "Holy shit" this really works! (Yes, years of practice) As I was now enough behind the trailer, and straight on at the "angle." As I profess, you have to trust the power of thrusting forward and backwards at the same time to make the boat dance. I quickly hit the forward thrust hard to not only stop the retreat into the pier, but to start the forward momentum, as I was moving backwards and closer to hitting the pier. Then I cut power as I drifted right onto the center of the boards. Unfortunately I didn't power long enough, so I had to jump out, hook the winch, and pull it up about 6 feet. If I kept the power on another second, I would have been able to hit the bow stop but figured better safe than sorry. All told, this maneuver, thinking back, took perhaps 45 seconds. Boom boom boom no time for error and trust the power to make the boat dance! As you can imagine, it was a great feeling watching all those clowns preparing to snicker their asses off, have to go back to their business with nary a word to me. They had no choice but to acknowledge, albeit silently, that they were in the presence of a master, and witnessed The Master making his monster (in comparison to a bass boat) dance in place, basically, without missing a beat. Would fins have helped in this tight, tight space? Absolutely not. I had to either control the boat with raw thrusting power, or crash into the dock. Practice and experience is all it takes. Do not believe the over marketed hype regarding the fins. Take the time to learn the physics of your boat, and don't throw your hands up and buy fins in frustration They are simply not needed to make the boat dance.
While you are exactly right, that in a situation such as you described the fins are not needed. Where I have noticed the biggest benefit to having them is holding a straight course when I'm at no wake or just above no wake speed. Before the fins the boat would wander quite a bit at these slow speeds and I would be constantly making course corrections to maintain a straight course. With the fins installed I can let go of the wheel for periods of time and the boat will track much straighter. I will always use the engine thrust to make corrections, especially in tight spaces. Piloting the boat without the fins was not a problem for me, but it most definitely was for my wife. The fins have helped her to feel much more comfortable piloting the boat at slow speeds and isn't that one of the biggest reasons most people buy them in the first place?