• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts on FREEZE tonight in TX

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I procrastinated and waited too long to winterize. Between deer season and college football this freeze caught me with my pants down. LOL! I went to my slip today and dropped the boat in the water from my lift and went over to the fuel dock and the wind was just too bad to even try so the guy told me to try tomorrow or Monday. I'm sitting at about a quarter tank and really wanted to fill up and put my fuel stabilizer in amongst other things and put her to bed for the winter and now looks like I will have to do it either tomorrow or Monday. Tonight we are supposed to get down around 32 or slightly lower. My question is will one night of around freezing affect things too much since I'm not full up? I'm probably worrying about nothing but just wanted to check and get some thoughts.

Thanks,
The Procrastinator

The only concern I would have is that I would blow the water out of the jets after lifting the boat. But even that is unnecessary.

My belief is that the issue with getting water in the fuel comes from repetitive warm to cold cycles. The bigger the change the more air with water that will be sucked in. The higher the humidity the more water that is in that air. This cycle happens year round. But over the winter we leave the same fuel in the boat for more cycles so it accumulates more water. A full tank has less contraction when it cools so it sucks in less air with water.

water in fuel isnt as fast as omg, temp dropped and there are gallons. Bruce is spot on. Water in metal parts where your located isn't too big of a concern either. Water in plastic lines is a concern with sudden temp drops. I'll expand on Bruce's comment on how condensation forms though, its about more about volume of air inside the tank. The more air, the more parts of that air are water vapor and can condense. The less air, ie full tank, the less parts of said air is water vapor.

This is supposed to be a fast front, its hitting us in okla now. Its going to drop down tonight below freezing for a few hours then be back above the next morning and 60 the day after. youre going to be fine.

For water to do damage, freeze and expand, you have to have multiple days of constant below freezing. Ice crystals can form, but for it to become a solid mass and start expanding, it takes a while.

That is all correct, But for peace of mind you can leave a drop light with a low wattage bulb or even a common heating pad inside the engine compartment during the night providing you have a power source available.

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I did blow the water out of the jets once I got her on the lift. I couldn't believe the wind on Lake Texoma today. I pulled up to the fuel dock and even though it was behind the breakers it was white capping. I looked at the fuel dock guy and said "this is probably not a good idea" and we both started laughing. I told him I would come back over the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about especially if you ran it today. Your motors are insulated inside the hull and will take a much lower temp and prolonged period to do any harm.

That is all correct, But for peace of mind you can leave a drop light with a low wattage bulb or even a common heating pad inside the engine compartment during the night providing you have a power source available.

Nothing to worry about especially if you ran it today. Your motors are insulated inside the hull and will take a much lower temp and prolonged period to do any harm.

I love it...Florida guys telling us how to handle freezing temperatures. This site is amazing!

I love it...Florida guys telling us how to handle freezing temperatures. This site is amazing!
I spent my first 30 years in the frigid North. I know winter.

I agree, Most of us have figured out the best way to deal with cold freezing weather, snow, Ice etc.
" MOVE TO FLORIDA" ,I did it when I was 20 years old way back in November of 1972 I packed my things in my 1965 Barracuda and drove south to escape the cold weather and the snow. NEVER REGRETTING THAT DECISDION!

32F?! OMG!!! It was -5F here last week. Ok, its Alaska where I live. But its been interesting to see the early cold and snow this early in the Midwest. I used to live in northern Illinois and they got snow there this week.

My wife asked if I winterized the boat before our first freeze @HawkTX . I said, yep, every time I pull out of the water it is winterized! Just blow out the excess with several bursts on the throttle once out of the water, always keep marine grade Stabil in the fuel, and fog a couple times a year...I am good to go. Even if the fuel tank is down a little or even a lot, no worries if you don't store it long term that way. It got to 28 up here and I bet it did on Texoma too, only about 40 miles ENE of me as a crow flies. That was some wind we had! We will get colder longer as the season progresses, so on a calm day, get the tank filled and stabilizer in her, if you can, run it through before you top it off and that is what protects the system AND engine. See you in the spring!

Hey txav8r or other JetBoaters in the know,
I'm new to the JetBoat world. I have a Glastron Gt187 and want to be sure the water is out of it before it freezes. Is it best to start it up & then do several throttle bursts as you said. Nothing in the manual about doing that. What is the limit on running it while not in the water? How long are we talking about. Do the throttle bursts do more to expel the water than just idling? Thanks, Transcon.

My wife asked if I winterized the boat before our first freeze @HawkTX . I said, yep, every time I pull out of the water it is winterized! Just blow out the excess with several bursts on the throttle once out of the water, always keep marine grade Stabil in the fuel, and fog a couple times a year...I am good to go. Even if the fuel tank is down a little or even a lot, no worries if you don't store it long term that way. It got to 28 up here and I bet it did on Texoma too, only about 40 miles ENE of me as a crow flies. That was some wind we had! We will get colder longer as the season progresses, so on a calm day, get the tank filled and stabilizer in her, if you can, run it through before you top it off and that is what protects the system AND engine. See you in the spring!

Hey txav8r or other JetBoaters in the know,
I'm new to the JetBoat world. I have a Glastron Gt187 and want to be sure the water is out of it before it freezes. Is it best to start it up & then do several throttle bursts as you said. Nothing in the manual about doing that. What is the limit on running it while not in the water? How long are we talking about. Do the throttle bursts do more to expel the water than just idling? Thanks, Transcon.
Maybe someone in the Glastron forum can answer your questions. https://jetboaters.net/forums/glastron-jet-boats.34/ @Peelz maybe around, he will probably know.

Last edited:
Well, that works for a Yamaha (which I have). Not in the manual for them, either, but something the dealer showed me and everyone I have read has confirmed. You can usually run the Yammies for 30 sec or a min or so with no issues. The engine does not heat up that quickly...

But, you have a different boat. Which is why @zipper wisely recommends you check with those owners to be sure.

Back