• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle creep bearing and spring?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We don't have a thread about the throttle creep here, so I figure I'm good to start one. :)

On the other site there's a post about adding a spring and bearing to the port side throttle to fix the creep. I'd really like to get that done before selling the LX, but I have no info on the bearing or spring sizes. Has anyone tried this method and had success? If so, what bearing and spring did you try?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We don't have a thread about the throttle creep here, so I figure I'm good to start one. :)

On the other site there's a post about adding a spring and bearing to the port side throttle to fix the creep. I'd really like to get that done before selling the LX, but I have no info on the bearing or spring sizes. Has anyone tried this method and had success? If so, what bearing and spring did you try?
I believe it is here, https://jetboaters.net/threads/throttle-dropping-check-here.299/

A link to that thread and many other useful ideas/tips can be found at https://jetboaters.net/threads/faq-reference-thread-for-forum-content-check-here-for-your-answer-first.81/

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
DOH! Andy beat me to it. Yes there is a thread. I'm hoping to address mine this spring too.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sadly, the 2 strokes have a totally different throttle assembly and suffer from a different issue... they flop back to neutral as they age. Supposedly starboard is tensioned with a bearing and spring and generally behaves itself. Port is tensioned with a plastic plug that wears out. Someone replaced the port plug with the starboard spring and claimed it worked. Sadly, he hasn't been overly communicative about the details.

Sadly, I've used the word 'sadly' too much.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sadly, I didn't notice there is difference between the 2 stroke and 4 stroke throttles.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes the 2 strokes are different. My LS2000 is a 2002 and it has the allen bolt that you tighten to keep the throttles from "flopping back". There is one bolt for each throttle and you tighten it as much as you dare. I have also tried the red jb weld thread lock that you supposedly need a torch to break free but mine still come loose periodically and I have to re-tighten them.

This is the link to the "definitive" Yamaha 2 stroke throttle adjustment thread but there are still small differences within the 2 stroke boats. http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=230&t=34368

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had some luck by removing the throttle cover and lining it with Velcro (not the loop side). It creates friction on the throttles and lasts me for a season.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Tried both of those... broke the throttle cover and the hex screws are no longer effective, which is why I was looking at the "last resort" of bearing and spring. I may just leave it. :S

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch - good cautions to anyone doing work on the throttles. Sorry to hear that