• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle/reverse gate, Thrust Vector XL issue

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Recently replaced my throttle/reverse cables and took the boat out to water test it yesterday. Once I hit about 4500 rpms, I noticed a major rattle in the starboard side throttle that got worse as the rpms increased.

No performance issues or loss of speed, definitely not cavitation.

Concerned, I figured something on the rear had to be causing it, so I pulled the boat. Found that my spring on the starboard side had popped out of my TV and figured I'd just pop it back in.

Wrong.

When I'd get it back in, it pops back out once I'd move the fin up by hand. Looks like the spring is compromised. I'll have to deal with this later as I've now removed the fins as I'm leaving for Lake Anna in 2 days and really need to figure this out.

Soooooo, today I took it to the local lake with only the port side fins installed, back to stock on starboard side.

No rattle on starboard, BUT, now I have rattle on port side! UGH. Major rattle on port side throttle lever at the helm. After searching on here, I see some posts about reverse gates getting hit by the thrust, so I adjust the gate higher, still not better. Remove port side fins, not any better.

Now I come to where the experts live.... HERE!

What should I be looking at?

Weird that the starboard side had a TV issue, but removing it has apparently taken care of the problem.

Port wasn't an issue, but is now. Weird, but it's my reality at the moment.

Spoke to the dealer at the lake, they can look at it for me on Monday, but I'm stubborn and proud and want to fix it myself. He had mentioned impellers, they are good, it's not cavitation. I have plenty of thrust and speed, just a major rattle in the port side throttle at this point.

Any suggestions?

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Will and his crew to the rescue again!

Gotta check my cables/ buckets and see what I can do...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Normally vibrations traveling up to the controls is caused by water striking the reverse hood as it exits the nozzle, so be sure the reverse is high enough for the water to clear when in forward. If that is not the case I have no idea.

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Upon further review, my rattle ended up being caused by a loose plastic "nut" where the cable comes thru the hull. Not sure of the technical name of that piece, but it was very loose. Must not have been tightened enough and was working itself loose. Tightened up and good to go. Now back to working on finding a close neutral.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When you tightened that big nut you actually pulled the slack out of the reverse cable securing the outer portion of the cable moving the reverse hood out of the water exiting the nozzle.