• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

thrown from boat?

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
looking to buy an Automatic Life Jacket that inflates when it hits water. My question is, what scenario would I use this. We really only boat is mostly calm seas. I'm trying to think of a scenario where it would be important to have the automatic inflation vest, vs no vest, or vs a manual inflate vest.

only scenario I can think of: driving the boat and another boat hits us, I hit my head and bounce out of the boat into the water. = glad i had this life jacket thing on.

but other than this ^^^, I can't think of any other time I'd need this? Your thoughts? It is for my wife and I.

- Kross

Only two that I can think of is if you have a medical condition that cause you to loose control of the boat and you end up falling overboard or you are caught in very rough water (storm or large boat wake) and you hit your head and tossed overboard.

It's one of those things that you'll probably never need but it's awesome if you do. If you're going to get a rip cord one, you might as well go the extra step and get the auto inflator. We have some at work that are ~10 years old that we finally decided to replace and just for fun on the last day he wore it, I went up to him and yanked his cord. Inflated perfectly.

Its easy to wear and not cumbersome. In the event you need to jump out and help someone else.

i've draped mine over my seat with the thought of a throw cushion before. Nice and small

My wife uses hers kayaking. Doesnt overheat her like a regular life jacket but if you flip It's there for her

I bought the manual jackets because they are small and comfortable. Auto operation were more expensive and I didn't like playing out the safety scenarios in my head.
One mistake i made ... gave it to my wife for Christmas ... NOT the thing to do... yet another BAD Christmas present story that NEVER goes away.

I have this debate with myself all the time. We have three girls 13, 10, and 7. We boat in the Florida Keys where the water is mostly calm...at least when I go out with the wife. Generally, only my 7 year old wears a vest all the time. First off, if you're going to have everybody wear an inflatable vest, they really should have the automatic hydrostatic valve. If you wear it, why not have the additional protection of auto inflation in case you are ejected from the boat. You never know...shit happens. Then I look around, I'm 5 miles offshore, there's nobody around that I can even see...what's the chance I'll be ejected from the boat? I almost think it's more important when you're inshore or in the ICW. Much more boat traffic and many more morons to wreak havoc. I don't think you can argue that it isn't safer to have it on. The real question is after you spend $100-$150 a vest, can you convince your crew to wear it.

Worth noting on inflatable vests, both auto and manual, need to have the inflation cylinder changed periodically.
The cylinders have a shelf life and expiration date. Will they work after expiration date? Likely/maybe depending on how far past expiration date. Are they legally approved floatation devices if cylinder is expired? No.

Having said that, I have a manual inflatable vest that I put on whenever conditions are a bit hairy or likely to become so. I strongly considered an auto vest, but decided against as I did not want hassle and risk of unintentionally wetted vest going off without warning.

I think they are used mostly for fishing. Easy to wear while fishing and not cumbersome but should you slip or get pulled in by a whale then your body will float to the surface once the line breaks.

I have both, a belt and a vest on my boat (Mustang)....and a box of new cylinders. I keep the belt on my seat with the kill switch lanyard connected to it. I keep the vest in the locker in front of the helm within easy reach.

When it gets very rough or I decide in advance to drive like a complete maniac, I simply clip the belt around my waist. If I have someone in the boat with me I will hand them the vest.
If I were to get knocked out of my seat the kill switch activates...if I go over board I get wet.
If I'm knocked out and thrown in the water, I'll probably drown unless I'm with someone who can jump in and save me. :D

11N760_AS01.jpg
9YHV1_AS01.jpg

Well how about for those who consume too many adult beverages and just fall overboard. I personally don't drink but I sure have seen people who could use one of those, now if they could make one that inflates just before you hit the floor or pavement then that's even better. I have personally pulled over a pickup truck in the middle of the night where the driver opened the door and literally fell out on to the pavement on his face.

...now if they could make one that inflates just before you hit the floor or pavement then that's even better.

I am sure it is technologically feasible to do this. One of the big European auto suppliers was shopping a system to protect about-to-be-hit pedestrians with airbags deployed from the exterior of the involved vehicle... I don't believe that ever caught on.

Cost? Different matter altogether.

I am sure Benny Hill would have gotten a lot of mileage out of your concept.

haaa

After reading this I started scratching my head thinking I had some other stuff ferreted away in the garage....sure enough

image.jpg

I had another one that was given to me by a buddy who runs a six pack out of Newport.

I just have to get that garage cleaned up. Might find all those Krugerrands that went missing!

Don't know why you guys worry about falling overboard - there are all those stickers to prevent it! :rolleyes:

(West Marine had a sale for 'buy one/get one free on the maunal/auto vests a while ago, which worked out to $54.50 each - I'd wait for a repeat! They're $109 regularly and $79 as I write this.)

I wear my life jacket and if I'm by myself, attach the lanyard. I think if you are worried about being thrown over board with people still on the boat, educate them on how to drive the boat and get back to you.

Well how about for those who consume too many adult beverages and just fall overboard. I personally don't drink but I sure have seen people who could use one of those, now if they could make one that inflates just before you hit the floor or pavement then that's even better. I have personally pulled over a pickup truck in the middle of the night where the driver opened the door and literally fell out on to the pavement on his face.

Excellent point. Drunk or no, 80% of those who die in boating accidents are not wearing a life vest.

On my boat it's all lifejackets all the time when underway. (And I don't drink either.)

I purchased 2 of the auto inflation type for my girlfriend and I last season. My thinking was that as the two primary users of the boat we should have new vests that were decent. Also if we have friends on board we have a life jacket bag containing 4 adult vests (water ski type) that came with the boat when we bought it. We keep 2 other vests in case we have smaller adults or teenagers (in MD anyone under 13 is required to actually wear their vest when on the boat). That being said the only vests I actually purchased (the others came with the boat) were the auto inflators and a very small kids vest for a family member that is 5 and visits a few times per year.

An unintended benefit of getting the 2 auto inflators was that it solves any size issues. With 2 vests that are basically one size fits all and our additional 4 vests I feel confident that I have a vest that will fit anyone that we may have on the boat.

My wife and I have ours on as we have a 3yo and 18mon old and just want that bit of added safety for the unexpected event in case anyone or all get ejected. Will always wear it when underway.

Just remember, you can never plan for the unexpected event. While you may be a safe boater, there are those on the same water way as you who are EXTREMELY careless.

Not preaching, rather my thoughts on it.

My wife and I have ours on as we have a 3yo and 18mon old and just want that bit of added safety for the unexpected event in case anyone or all get ejected. Will always wear it when underway.

Just remember, you can never plan for the unexpected event. While you may be a safe boater, there are those on the same water way as you who are EXTREMELY careless.

Not preaching, rather my thoughts on it.

You make an excellent point...one which I have to drive home to the kids each season.

It's the OTHER guy who may suddenly crash into our boat that sends us all flying into the water that I'm worried about! There is zero time to get a life jacket out and put it on properly in the event of an accident. One of my grandsons is the absolute worst when it comes to keeping the vest on. I've kicked him off the boat several times because of it. I really don't give a rat's ass if all the kids on the "other" boats don't wear theirs. And he knows it! :cool:

You make an excellent point...one which I have to drive home to the kids each season.

It's the OTHER guy who may suddenly crash into our boat that sends us all flying into the water that I'm worried about! There is zero time to get a life jacket out and put it on properly in the event of an accident. One of my grandsons is the absolute worst when it comes to keeping the vest on. I've kicked him off the boat several times because of it. I really don't give a rat's ass if all the kids on the "other" boats don't wear theirs. And he knows it! :cool:

Exactly!!! It is just like driving, crazy ass people on the road. I think we sometimes feel too safe on the water and take a step back from safety. I nknow I did a few times.

Back