• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

thrown from boat?

While back I rented a jet ski and another person who rented a jet ski was to busy looking at his girl friend to notice the no wake zone and hit me and ejected me off my jet ski I was clean out and he brought me back to shore not only did my life jacket keep me afloat but I think it was a great protection from being hit by a jet ski. I always wear mine when I boat alone and have it next to me when I boat with others in the boat with me. I'm a great swimmer but I always tell my friends you cant swim if you are unconscious.

accidents happen. as others said, you could become incapacitated for health reasons, falling and hitting your head, a crash etc.

It's more likely that something seemingly less dangerous would catch you off guard:, i.e. your hat blows off and lands on the back deck, you you reduce speed to idle and go back there to get it...oops...you fall in....but the boat is moving away at 2mph...you will not be able to catch it...

Assuming you don't use the emergency lanyard....most people don't...

Just my two cents worth. You can never put a price on safety for yourself and family. Kinda like owning a gun, better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it.

I generally don't make the adults wear them all the time. Kids it is non-negotiable--they all wear them (and the regular ones--we don't have these fancy poof ones).

However! All newcomers to my boat get a safety briefing, including a) where the fire extinguisher are, b) don't open the engine hatch if there is a fire in there, c) where the life vests are, d) where the radio is and how to use it, and e) where the emergency exits are. And, in the event of a dangerous situation (weather, traffic, etc.), I tell the adults to put on vests and get one on myself.

The upside I could see to the poof ones is that I might wear it just when I am going to get gas or something by myself. They are light enough and thin enough to not get in the way and get all hot.

Good thread. Lots to think about...

Other thing I do, anyone who goes purposely swimming in the water as we are anchored in the lake, wears a vest. Our lake isn't that deep but I want the security of knowing I won't have to dive in and help someone.I wear a vest when I jump in and actually enjoy the ability to just float. I don't make anyone wear a vest while they are in the boat but the vests are on the floor and available, unlike the required CG vests which are stowed. If I think a kid can't swim, they wear a vest while on the boat. Its a person by person basis.

this is very informative thread. Great insights and thoughts

Back