• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust vectors on order

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After using my 2021 sx195 4 times I decided I don’t care much how jet drives perform (or don’t perform) and ordered the thrust vector. Hopefully it makes a difference getting back on the trailer. Years of the experience boating but feel like a novice with this thing.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Experienced boater here too, I can tell you it help a lot specially on windy condition or when there's lots of traffic.

lgparra

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Experienced boater as well and I felt the same way you do my first few times out on a jet boat. Thrust vectors made a world of difference (in conjunction with properly utilizing no-wake mode around the dock). You'll love them!

DrPhil

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How does one 'properly utilize' no-wake? Explanations appreciated. (got plenty of time. boat is still on order).

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How does one 'properly utilize' no-wake? Explanations appreciated. (got plenty of time. boat is still on order).
I'm not sure. I never use the no wake mode. Jet boats have the advantage of the reverse bucket so it's no problem to alternate between forward/reverse a lot. So when I pull on the trailer, I could alternate at least 10+ times. No throttle. Idling. Forward, back, foward, back, forward.. While turning the wheel to push the transom left, right, left, right... Master this technique and you can steer this boat literally anywhere that it can fit. Give me a canal 20ft wide and I can do a u-turn without any issue.

The times I have issue loading on the trailer is when I put the trailer 2" from the dock and the wind is pushing me away.. oops. Better to keep the trailer more center on the ramp when the wind is pushing.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure. I never use the no wake mode. Jet boats have the advantage of the reverse bucket so it's no problem to alternate between forward/reverse a lot. So when I pull on the trailer, I could alternate at least 10+ times. No throttle. Idling. Forward, back, foward, back, forward.. While turning the wheel to push the transom left, right, left, right... Master this technique and you can steer this boat literally anywhere that it can fit. Give me a canal 20ft wide and I can do a u-turn without any issue.
You do this exact thing, except bump No Wake Mode up to level 2 or 3. Works under the premise that if you have no thrust you have no control. So you need to increase thrust slightly to increase control slightly.

Then shift into/out of forward and reverse as often as you like. No transmission, so there is nearly zero damage or wear from shifting often.

Also there are two indents on forward and reverse. The first is called Thrust Directional Enhancement (TDE). The second is "full" forward or reverse. Use TDE to get small changes, and full to get large changes.

Here is a really good thread on how all this works together. @haknslash did some excellent work there.

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah knowing how to control the boat isn’t a problem. I can spin it 360 without moving a bit. The problem is trying to get it on the trailer with 5-10mph wind hitting you in the side with no reaction when coming in slow in neutral. With I/I’d I was thought slowing and in and out of gear. These things don’t steer in neutral

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah knowing how to control the boat isn’t a problem. I can spin it 360 without moving a bit. The problem is trying to get it on the trailer with 5-10mph wind hitting you in the side with no reaction when coming in slow in neutral. With I/I’d I was thought slowing and in and out of gear. These things don’t steer in neutral
Can't come in in neutral, bump forward, then back to neutral as much as you need to maintain your straightness without picking up excess speed. And get some guide poles, my wife loads like a boss now and completely sucked last year. I do have cobra fins, which help immensely as well. I always think she's coming in too hot, but the bunks always stop the boat 3-4 ft from the bow stop

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Coming in slow is a constant shift between forward and reverse.

Think of it like you're driving something with rear wheels steering, not front wheel steering. You are controlling the stern of the boat, so use reverse to "pull" the rear the direction you want it to go, and "push" the front.

5-10mph with bimini up requires some planning ahead, and timing to get the boat on the trailer forward at the same time it's going sideways. Like a pilot crab walking a plane in a crosswind. Same premise. Just don't aim at the back of the truck, aim upwind a bit and let it push you into the trailer.

No control without thrust. No thrust without revs.

lgparra

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The above replies are all accurate. No-wake mode is a combination of two things: TDE (Thrust Directional Enhancement) and no-wake mode itself. The picture below and video do a good job of explaining what TDE is/how it works. No-wake mode when engaged simply just sets the engine RPM's to a steady amount. Within no-wake mode there are three different speeds. I don't recall the exact RPM's but for example no-wake mode 1 is 1500 RPM, no-wake mode 2 is 1800 RPM and no-wake mode 3 is 2100 RPM. Essentially what this allows you to do when maneuvering around a dock or trailering is to have a more consistent and precise control of the boat as you alternate between the forward & reverse TDE detents because the RPM's aren't fluctuating, they are fixed depending upon the no-wake mode you have selected. So in order to "properly utilize no-wake mode" as you approach a dock, trailer, another boat, etc. you select no-wake mode 1, 2, or 3 and alternate between the forward and reverse detents. Some people choose not to use TDE/no-wake and they just alternate between full forward/reverse. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. For anyone who came from an I/O that's kinda how its done so perhaps its a holdover habit from that experience or old habits die hard (I know I suffered from it). The kicker however with doing it that way is you open yourself up to getting unstable as you approach a dock because you may be adding too much/too little thrust. In jet boats, more precise throttle control = improved steering and no-wake mode allows you to accomplish that quite a bit easier IMO.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 5.48.02 PM.png

Last edited: