• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vectors or Cobra’s... That is the question.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, another 2 cent post about Thrust Vectors and Cobra Fins...

So let me start by saying I don’t have a dog in the fight I’m more interested in a product that works and that works well for me.

I have a 2006 AR210 that I just cannot tell you how much I love that boat. I bought it used and it came with the old style Cobra fins. I’ve had no issue with the steering or having a huge learning curve that some people seem to have when trying a jet boat for the first time.

I’ve had the original fins for about 4 years. In the back of my head I’ve always wanted to try the Thrust Vectors since they flip up at speed and have a much larger surface area. My thought was more control. So along with an order of SeaDek for the inside of my boat from Will, which I couldn’t be happier with, I said F it let’s get the Thrust Vectors too!

So I put the Vectors on, install was easy peaszy, and I was ready to hit the water. So boat in, no wake speed, I could immediately tell the change. Turning was a little bit stiffer, but that didn’t bother me, I can’t say I really noticed a difference in control(remember I had the old style Cobras on before)

I failed to mention another reason I was intrigued by the Thrust Vectors is they were rounded soft plastic edges. We hang out mostly on the back of the boat and having one less thing someone can hurt themselves on is good for me.

So I hammer the throttles and off we go. I was excited about seeing if I got a little more of a jet boat feel with the fins up, I noticed a little spray kicking up from the fins but didn’t really notice the difference at speed, which is fine because that’s not the intent. The intent is slow sleep maneuverability. So I come off speed, and go into no wake speed approaching the dock... hmmm this thing is a little bit slippery, not reacting as fast as it did before. I felt as though I lost a bit of control. I figured maybe I just need to get used to it. So take the above scenario, rinse and repeat the rest of the day. Still not the control I was used to. I chalked it up to just having to get used to it.

So fast forward a week, I get a message from Jeff asking how I liked the Vectors. I was honest and told him that I felt as though I lost some control. He offered me to try his Ultimates with a 30 day money back. So what the hell, I’ve seen pro’s and con’s of both on here, let me see for myself.

Off come the Vectors on go the Ultimates. Install was easy as well. Took the boat out about 2 weeks later and the first thing I noticed is the steering, it wasn’t stiff, so that was a plus in my book, nothing major but I like the easy to turning. I installed the Ultimates in the locked down position. So off we go, hammer the throttles and again, steering was easier than ever before. Jeff mentions the “Power Steering” effect and he’s right. I can’t really explain it but the turning is just silky smooth. Like butter! Time to come off plane and go into No Wake speed... The real test. I immediately had my steering back! No question, I was completely in control of the boat! And then a light came on I my head... I bet the reason I felt like I lost steering with the Vectors is because they never came down off plane. I usually don’t come off plane, to a complete stop, then go back to no wake speed. I could do that and probably get the steering results I’m looking for but what I don’t want is when someone else is driving to have to teach them that you have to come to a complete stop coming off plane so the fins can come down. With the locked down Ultimates, I know they are down. My decision was made. The Ultimates are not coming off and I haven’t looked back yet. I do notice a bit of difference in maneuverability between the old Cobras and the new Ultimates (for what it’s worth).

So that’s my 100% honest review. Jeff is shipping me the fangs this week so I’m excited to try those as well.

By no means do I intend to say Will doesn’t have a good product or hasn’t done some great things when it comes to jet boats in general, but for me the Cobra’s is what’s staying on my boat. God forbid the day I have to come off plane fast and I’m not in a position to give the boat gas to make a turn, I know the Cobras are down and are immediately going to give me steering. It’s a no brainer.

I hope this review is helpful and hopefully didn’t ruffle any feathers. There are some things Apple does well and some things Samsung does well. In this comparison of 2 products, Cobras win.

Thanks!

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, another 2 cent post about Thrust Vectors and Cobra Fins...

So let me start by saying I don’t have a dog in the fight I’m more interested in a product that works and that works well for me.

I have a 2006 AR210 that I just cannot tell you how much I love that boat. I bought it used and it came with the old style Cobra fins. I’ve had no issue with the steering or having a huge learning curve that some people seem to have when trying a jet boat for the first time.

I’ve had the original fins for about 4 years. In the back of my head I’ve always wanted to try the Thrust Vectors since they flip up at speed and have a much larger surface area. My thought was more control. So along with an order of SeaDek for the inside of my boat from Will, which I couldn’t be happier with, I said F it let’s get the Thrust Vectors too!

So I put the Vectors on, install was easy peaszy, and I was ready to hit the water. So boat in, no wake speed, I could immediately tell the change. Turning was a little bit stiffer, but that didn’t bother me, I can’t say I really noticed a difference in control(remember I had the old style Cobras on before)

I failed to mention another reason I was intrigued by the Thrust Vectors is they were rounded soft plastic edges. We hang out mostly on the back of the boat and having one less thing someone can hurt themselves on is good for me.

So I hammer the throttles and off we go. I was excited about seeing if I got a little more of a jet boat feel with the fins up, I noticed a little spray kicking up from the fins but didn’t really notice the difference at speed, which is fine because that’s not the intent. The intent is slow sleep maneuverability. So I come off speed, and go into no wake speed approaching the dock... hmmm this thing is a little bit slippery, not reacting as fast as it did before. I felt as though I lost a bit of control. I figured maybe I just need to get used to it. So take the above scenario, rinse and repeat the rest of the day. Still not the control I was used to. I chalked it up to just having to get used to it.

So fast forward a week, I get a message from Jeff asking how I liked the Vectors. I was honest and told him that I felt as though I lost some control. He offered me to try his Ultimates with a 30 day money back. So what the hell, I’ve seen pro’s and con’s of both on here, let me see for myself.

Off come the Vectors on go the Ultimates. Install was easy as well. Took the boat out about 2 weeks later and the first thing I noticed is the steering, it wasn’t stiff, so that was a plus in my book, nothing major but I like the easy to turning. I installed the Ultimates in the locked down position. So off we go, hammer the throttles and again, steering was easier than ever before. Jeff mentions the “Power Steering” effect and he’s right. I can’t really explain it but the turning is just silky smooth. Like butter! Time to come off plane and go into No Wake speed... The real test. I immediately had my steering back! No question, I was completely in control of the boat! And then a light came on I my head... I bet the reason I felt like I lost steering with the Vectors is because they never came down off plane. I usually don’t come off plane, to a complete stop, then go back to no wake speed. I could do that and probably get the steering results I’m looking for but what I don’t want is when someone else is driving to have to teach them that you have to come to a complete stop coming off plane so the fins can come down. With the locked down Ultimates, I know they are down. My decision was made. The Ultimates are not coming off and I haven’t looked back yet. I do notice a bit of difference in maneuverability between the old Cobras and the new Ultimates (for what it’s worth).

So that’s my 100% honest review. Jeff is shipping me the fangs this week so I’m excited to try those as well.

By no means do I intend to say Will doesn’t have a good product or hasn’t done some great things when it comes to jet boats in general, but for me the Cobra’s is what’s staying on my boat. God forbid the day I have to come off plane fast and I’m not in a position to give the boat gas to make a turn, I know the Cobras are down and are immediately going to give me steering. It’s a no brainer.

I hope this review is helpful and hopefully didn’t ruffle any feathers. There are some things Apple does well and some things Samsung does well. In this comparison of 2 products, Cobras win.

Thanks!
I think you basically nailed it. More power steering will come with fangs if you are running without those now but the Ultimates are pretty amazing.

I was initially attracted to TVs also, before I had the first Yamaha boat, because of the looks.

The full set of Cobras with fangs or MEGAs (whatever they are called) is so good at keeping the boat curve hard and track strait, I’m not sure there is much room for improvement.

I would consider the new 2019 Yamaha lateral nozzles but only if Cobra comes up with a new system compatible with those. I would not need more control, albeit one can not have too much of it, but certainly not at the expense of what I have now. I would only switch if I saw a real possibility of steering gains.
That could be tough.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just had my boat out again last weekend and everytime I take it out with Cobras, I love them more and more. If the only thing it fixed was on plane tracking and stability, I still would have bought them because it made it SOOOOOO much better!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for the reviews and comments and yes I will be making my steering compatible with the newer style nozzles as soon as I can get a set or find a willing subject to take measurements for me and test fit etc. I do not expect any real issue with this and I also plan on making conversion kits for people who do change from their nozzles to the new ones so they can continue to enjoy the steering without needing to purchase a new set of steering . I plan on continuing to provide the most effective , most versatile and most practical steering systems available as always.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
+1 cobras. Haven’t looked back. Even with lateral thrusters.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a FYI @Trevor Shipman. When I replaced my origional Cobra fins with the Ultimates I used Weldabond to plug up the old drilled mounting holes. Looks almost invisible. You'll like the fangs also.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you ,and everyone please post some pictures so people can see your setup if you don't mind the more information people have the better. Keep in mind I am still running my members only sale on most of my steering combos etc. I am also giving some discounts for single items for people who want steering or mega fang plus but do not need both. You just have to email me to get that deal. remember There are several different styles of steering I offer for Yamaha jet boats. I keep saying I will be getting the new ultimate a k systems posted on my web page but I still have not had time to get that handled. But there are a couple of members here who have them on their boats . It is basically a larger version of the magnum a k steering. they are also spring loaded and you can set the actuator to keep them down at speed or lift up at speed you can also add the mega fang plus upgrade to really intensify the steering effect in all ranges and in reverse and yes the second tie rod is also added just like the magnum a k system.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you ,and everyone please post some pictures so people can see your setup if you don't mind the more information people have the better. Keep in mind I am still running my members only sale on most of my steering combos etc. I am also giving some discounts for single items for people who want steering or mega fang plus but do not need both. You just have to email me to get that deal. remember There are several different styles of steering I offer for Yamaha jet boats. I keep saying I will be getting the new ultimate a k systems posted on my web page but I still have not had time to get that handled. But there are a couple of members here who have them on their boats . It is basically a larger version of the magnum a k steering. they are also spring loaded and you can set the actuator to keep them down at speed or lift up at speed you can also add the mega fang plus upgrade to really intensify the steering effect in all ranges and in reverse and yes the second tie rod is also added just like the magnum a k system.
Can't thank @Cobra Jet Steering LLC enough for this amazing product. I loved my boat before his product was installed, but this made it so much more enjoyable to drive!!!

Attachments

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We're sorry to have lost your business. For the record the fins do return to the lowest position when you resume slow speed operations. But coming off plane quickly will keep the fins in the up position until the speed has been reduced below 5 mph. We'll look into a solution that will prevent the need to teach. Thanks for the input.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're sorry to have lost your business. For the record the fins do return to the lowest position when you resume slow speed operations. But coming off plane quickly will keep the fins in the up position until the speed has been reduced below 5 mph. We'll look into a solution that will prevent the need to teach. Thanks for the input.
Thanks Will, like I said, I appreciate the innovation you continue to provide to enthusiasts like me and make our boats that much better but the Cobra’s were a better fit for my needs.

And don’t worry, I’m never done spending money on this boat!

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My Cobras are great!! Would not be out on the water without them now. Totally work as advertised.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@weaselman Jeff sent me the fangs this week. Taking the boat out next weekend, you notice a big difference? If so what?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Trevor those are single a k fangs on the magnum ak steering on a 2015 24 foot boat with the articulating keel that he lower to clear the lateral thrusters. As a few other people have also done . That being clarified.
You have a set of the mega fang plus, those are a completely different set , you also have a totally different steering system the Ultimate steering.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trevor those are single a k fangs on the magnum ak steering on a 2015 24 foot boat with the articulating keel that he lower to clear the lateral thrusters. As a few other people have also done . That being clarified.
You have a set of the mega fang plus, those are a completely different set , you also have a totally different steering system the Ultimate steering.
Ahhhhh hard to keep up with the names! Whatever they are I love them and can’t wait to try out the fangs!