• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

timing chain in pre 2016 is bugging me ...

i mean the 16+ TC looks rock solid compared you can see the differnce , i like to push hard but only once in while and planning long trips in future

its getting to the point i wondering if this is a project doable yourself if crank is left in ...then
Nobody has ever replaced the crank as prevention of this issue, Now you truly are reading too far. The only ones that have replaced a crank are the ones that have had catastrophic failure after the timing chain gave out.

The upgrade kit does not include a crank, as it is not needed. The only reason tensioners and pulleys are included is that fact that the new timing chain is beefier.

The Yamaha upgrade kit actually does include a crank. There are a few guys on the Yamaha FB page that have done the work minus crank recently and if you search the green hulk forum the jet ski guys do the same.

Basically you set the timing, remove the oil pump and pump gear on the crank(reverse thread), remove tensioner, guides and cam gears. Reinstall opposite with a bunch of gaskets, o-rings and crush washers. That's the down and dirty version.

The Yamaha upgrade kit actually does include a crank. There are a few guys on the Yamaha FB page that have done the work minus crank recently and if you search the green hulk forum the jet ski guys do the same.

Basically you set the timing, remove the oil pump and pump gear on the crank(reverse thread), remove tensioner, guides and cam gears. Reinstall opposite with a bunch of gaskets, o-rings and crush washers. That's the down and dirty version.

Wow, thanks for that correction. That tells you how much I have looked into this upgrade. That's not for the faint of heart for sure. I consider myself somewhat technically inclined, but that sounds like the labor would be well over the cost of the kits. I would bet more and more would do the exterior upgrade only because of that.

I'm curious. If 12-15 model years were the same design, why are the 14 and 15 models "anecdotally" more likely to fail than say a 12 or 13 model year? i'm a seadoo guy and have no dog in this fight, but like others, have read the posts when they come up and am wondering if someone has a rational hypothesis.....

I'm curious. If 12-15 model years were the same design, why are the 14 and 15 models "anecdotally" more likely to fail than say a 12 or 13 model year? i'm a seadoo guy and have no dog in this fight, but like others, have read the posts when they come up and am wondering if someone has a rational hypothesis.....

That's a good question, and I am glad you asked. Trust me, this is just a hypothesis as it held true for the Yamaha line of SXS and Snowmobiles that standardized on the 1049 Triple Four stroke. And the newer version, the 998 Triple Four stroke.

When Yamaha started turbo charging that engine, they had to play with the internals to beef them up for boost. They also needed to standardize on a number of components, to cut costs and make the boosted engine share as many of these parts (minus the turbo and plumbing) without raising the cost of the non-boosted engine too much.

So what do you get, you get one with upgraded internals for boost, and one with 3/4 of the upgraded internals, and possibly some made a bit cheaper. But still providing the same performance as the previous years.

That being said, we had NA 1.8ltr engines since 2010, and the SC 1.8 in the 192, as well as comparable waverunner models. When they wanted to go into mass production of the intercooled SVHO, yet again, more upgragraded shared components and possibly some cheapened. This does take time, so it didn't quite line up with the release of the SVHO in the Waverunner, 195 and 275 models. But the damage was done and we had a short run of potential problems.

I don't think QC caught it as the numbers were just not there to support an issue. And that is why Yamaha kept it as a TSB, knowing that timing chain issues have happened in other model years, as it's a moving part like any other. But not in any quantity till the end of 2014/early 2015. And still not to the point of the recall. Late 2015, they rectified the problem and all is good. But yet it still freaks a few folks out with later model post 2015 units, as a timing chain will fail once in a great while. So those few question whether it was upgraded or not. It was.

This happened in the Yamaha snowmobile line as well, but folks were boosting non turbo Yamaha models in roughly the same model years, not realizing Yamaha had switched some cranks that were not as ready for boost as previous years. This was quickly rectified. But Yamaha had it a bit easier, as they had yet to release an OEM Turbo, so they could have easily placed the blame on third party turbo's. They didn't and took care of the customers on that too. As we know, they released their 208hp 998 triple in 2017, and it has been an amazing power plant since. Folks have been pushing that motor beyond double that hp. So try not to giggle when someone says they don't push their stock yamaha very hard, when there are other Yamahas taking way more abuse than we can dish out in this format.

Last edited:
I am one of the people who upgraded their chain. I have a 2013 Sx190. I upgraded the cam sprockets, timing chain, and chain guides. All in all its pretty straight forward if you have mechanical experience on replacing timing parts. Less then $500 in parts with new gaskets too. It is very rare. If i had a dual motor set up i probably would of left it and rolled the dice since it is so rare. I just didn't want to have it happen and be left stranded. And as others have stated the new chain setup works fine on old crank. The crank is only a link winder but i dont see how ir would walk around if everything else holding it in place

Great info in this article. I have a 2010 and did not realize the problem was more prone in the 2014 and 2015. Would anyone have a copy of the actual TSB regarding these issues. I think it would be a good read.

First thing to do is take off the valve covers, mark the chain and bump it with the starter so you can inspect all the links. If you are still worried you can upgrade to the 2016 chain. You need to replace the cam sprockets and guides also. It will be a little wider on the crank but there are now a few people who have done it on their boats and a lot more jet ski guys.

This is exactly what i did. I have a 2013 Sx190. I upgraded to 2016+ chain, guides, and cam sprockets. Put 38 hrs on that setup this year. No issues

This is exactly what i did. I have a 2013 Sx190. I upgraded to 2016+ chain, guides, and cam sprockets. Put 38 hrs on that setup this year. No issues
any hp improvement t lol ? .. does she rev up faster or slower ?

more rotating mass, so probably slower in theory, but I bet it's not perceptible.

The additional noise from the friction of the wider chain should drown out the previous tick tock of the shorter lifetime clock ticking backwards...

(KIDDING!!!)

more rotating mass, so probably slower in theory, but I bet it's not perceptible.

The additional noise from the friction of the wider chain should drown out the previous tick tock of the shorter lifetime clock ticking backwards...

(KIDDING!!!)

well then i think its now time for a SC .... or some nitrous =)

Back