• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Timing Chain issue

Solarz11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi folks- first post here. I’ve been a long time lurker and am getting ready to finally pull the trigger on a 212X. I found a nice 2014 for sale and I’m a little concerned about this timing chain issue that I’ve been hearing about. Should I let this stop me from buying a 2014 or 2015? How big of a deal is this? What I do know is I don’t want a 15k engine repair bill haha. Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The main problem with the timing chain issue is that it fails without warning. Inspecting it will do you no good to tell whether it will fail (it can tell you whether you have the fixed kind or the kind that can fail, but not whether the second kind is about to fail). And replacing it is not a small task. And if it fails at speed... yeah, messy, messy, messy.

As low as that all sounds, there are many boats with the same chain that never have a problem. So it is not as if every boat has a failure (or even half of them). I think I heard of many more folks with the oil cooler problem (earlier years) than I did with the timing chain problem. That is not statistical; just anecdotal.

So, what is your comfort for risk with this? If you drop $x on a boat and it fails, will you be unhappy? Or will you think you had such a great deal at $x price that it was worth the risk? I don't think a new engine would be $15k, but others on here can speak to that better than I can. But there is some number for the price of the boat where buying it makes sense, even if it does fail and you do have to replace the engine...

IMHO.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
OR just buy it and know that it will cost you $$$$ to update it from the get-go so you have piece of mind which really is the best way so you don't get stranded by a known issue.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my engine replacement (granted from a Yamaha dealer) was quoted at more than I paid for my boat. It ended up getting taken care of by Yamaha corporate out of warranty, but I understand that is getting less common. The engine replacements not done by Yamaha are significantly cheaper.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's one thing to have bought the boat and then learn of the problem, but knowing about it's potential, if it was me, I'd pick a year known to not have the problem as commonly. (Or one already repaired) It's expensive and it takes a while to fix.

Just my humble thought.

Last edited:

alwaysboating22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My two cents, We just bought a 2013 sx190 with 60 hours 4 weeks ago. 3rd weekend out on Powell last weekend with our family and the timing chain snapped at 30-35 mph cruising speed. Had to be towed in. Boat has 72.9 hours to be exact now when it snapped. I didnt know about it. Had I know this was an issue, I would have either 1. bought a newer 2017+ model or 2. immediately upgraded the timing chain with their upgrade kit. I understand it a 'rare' problem. First hand stranded experience at powell with small kids sucked and I wouldnt have chanced it had I know. Now I have a busted ass boat that we absolutely LOVE and Im hoping I can get some help from yamaha or we are doing it ourselves. dealer in phx wouldnt even look at it. immediately quoted 13-15k engine replacement and pretended like they had no clue this was an issue. If youve got kids youre planning on taking out, dont chance it. We start the process of calling corporate today to see if we can get some help. not hopeful but crossing my fingers. Im disappointed and it leaves me with a lack of confidence in the brand knowing this is an issue. Heres to hoping Yamaha steps up for us.

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My two cents, We just bought a 2013 sx190 with 60 hours 4 weeks ago. 3rd weekend out on Powell last weekend with our family and the timing chain snapped at 30-35 mph cruising speed. Had to be towed in. Boat has 72.9 hours to be exact now when it snapped. I didnt know about it. Had I know this was an issue, I would have either 1. bought a newer 2017+ model or 2. immediately upgraded the timing chain with their upgrade kit. I understand it a 'rare' problem. First hand stranded experience at powell with small kids sucked and I wouldnt have chanced it had I know. Now I have a busted ass boat that we absolutely LOVE and Im hoping I can get some help from yamaha or we are doing it ourselves. dealer in phx wouldnt even look at it. immediately quoted 13-15k engine replacement and pretended like they had no clue this was an issue. If youve got kids youre planning on taking out, dont chance it. We start the process of calling corporate today to see if we can get some help. not hopeful but crossing my fingers. Im disappointed and it leaves me with a lack of confidence in the brand knowing this is an issue. Heres to hoping Yamaha steps up for us.
Please let us know what Yamaha corporate says.

alwaysboating22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha refuses to help. Just got off the phone with them. I refuse to support this brand any further. Its a known issue they are completely screwing their customers over that are stuck with it. 72.9 hours! WTF! Im so pissed.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha refuses to help. Just got off the phone with them. I refuse to support this brand any further. Its a known issue they are completely screwing their customers over that are stuck with it. 72.9 hours! WTF! Im so pissed.
Complete Crap move by Yamaha on this one....

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Over the years I've seen more problems with lower hour boats. Everybody wants ultra low hours, but engines with more hours up to something not rediculous seem to have proven themselves and I haven't seen as many issues like....hey, I bought a boat with 300 hours and the timing chain snapped after I bought it. Doesn't help you now though.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm replacing mine with another OEM one.
Link on grout line is binding. It was a failure waiting to happen. I don't have budget to do upgrade.
Granted my PO abused and neglected it

124560-abcd99511ddb7171c378f92ebe39a862.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(Wow, @14SX190 , I would consider that carefully. I know you have that engine almost completely broken down. Swapping out to the upgraded parts will be dirt simple for you right now. I think that is one in your position that I would find the money for the upgrade kit while I had the engine in pieces. That said, if you don't have budget, you don't have budget--I do get that...)

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
(Wow, @14SX190 , I would consider that carefully. I know you have that engine almost completely broken down. Swapping out to the upgraded parts will be dirt simple for you right now. I think that is one in your position that I would find the money for the upgrade kit while I had the engine in pieces. That said, if you don't have budget, you don't have budget--I do get that...)
I have but I really don't want to open the bottom end.
The 1.8 NA TC has been generally safe. All the hoopla was on the SHO/SVHO
I firmly believe proper care goes a long way in caring for our boats

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2012. What would folks advise me to do? Is it eminent that I’m going to have a problem? A new (rebuilt) engine cost me 15k by the way. After I did that, I learned that some folks use the insurance money and buy a jet ski with the same engine. Brilliant!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See my post above (#2); I would have the same advice for you...

But, you may be out of the woods. I have a 2012 (with no issues) and I don't think our year is one that usually has the problem.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
See my post above (#2); I would have the same advice for you...

But, you may be out of the woods. I have a 2012 (with no issues) and I don't think our year is one that usually has the problem.
Thanks! That’s all I needed to hear. I’ll take my chances.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It's one thing to have bought the boat and then learn of the problem, but knowing about it's potential, if it was me, I'd pick a year known to not have the problem as commonly. (Or one already repaired) It's expensive and it takes a while to fix.

Just my humble thought.
Agreed, when my TC went I read all the post. It was my first boat purchase and certainly did not conduct my due diligence. Take it from me, you don’t want to be out on the water with friends and be stranded on a summer holiday (Mother’s Day). Boat out and at shop for 8 weeks. Only way I would purchase boat with same year or make is to make sure it had the proper fix.
BTW,
Those friends were never interested in a rain check. When we made arrangements and basically made a polite excuse. Can’t say I blame them. Frustrating and embarrassing! Thank You Yamaha for avoiding known issues.

Last edited:

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how did you end up with this issue ?