• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Timing Chain Question

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We bought a 2014 212SS last fall with the twin 1.8L HO motors with about 120 hours. After the purchase, I was doing more research on here and read about the TC issues with the '14 and pre-07/'15 1.8L engines (I guess on both the HO and SVHO motors across boats and jet skis). If I have been lucky enough to see all of the posts on here via search, the topic seems to have died off after 2016/17 and I am not seeing a huge number of people posting that they are having a huge number of these failures in the boats (skis seem to be more prevalent, but those posts have also gone down it seems).

I saw the poll that was taken, and saw that there were 57 responses with 18 people who had 2015 or older boats, and 6 of those who had the timing chain issue. Is there any info with regard to the SN of the motors that are of greatest potential issue? I assume that if it was for the entire 2014 year models for those 1.8L HO motors across all of the Yamaha boat models, then it is just somewhat of the luck of the draw as to whether it would happen. Trying to see if it is really a big issue or just one of those things that seemed to occur but is not any higher than other potential failures.

Does it make any sense to have the motors retrofitted/fixed with the new parts before a failure? If so, any guesstimates as to the cost per motor? I heard that it requires a new TC, TC gear and crank shaft (I guess the crank has the TC gear permanently attached), so it is not an insignificant fix and probably why it seemed like Yamaha just replaced the whole motor on boats where this occurred. I have not seen the cost for a full motor replacement containing the new, beefier TC either. Just trying to better understand this in a new level of detail before our first season with this boat starts up. Right now, I plan to use it as normal and let the chips fall where they may as it does no good to fret over it and may never even happen. We are pretty easy on our gear anyway, so if it is a stress kind of failure from wave jumping and loading/unloading the pumps at WOT, we may be lucky and avoid the issue as that is not how we usually run things.

Thanks all!

Diamondwatercraft

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Great question. I will be watching. I almost bought a 2015 but the owner could not find the build code. I ended up passing.

Last edited:

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @Jmulvihill I too did the same thing I purchased a 2015 AR240, after purchasing seen all the threads and post on timing chain issues after the fact. I lost a lot of sleep over it, and it’s still in the back of my mind. But I don’t let it stop me from building memories with the Ohana(family) and friends. I just baby her and try to avoid launching waves. It is hard to do here in Hawaii cause it can get chopping in the open Pacific Ocean, I just make sure as I’m going over the top of the waves to slack throttle. Just so I don’t launch off the top catching air with engines revved up and coming down and loading them up. So far so good, knock on wood. We always practice to Pule(Pray) before we head out asking Akua(God) to Bless our Yammy, and for a safe and Great day on the water. Go have a blast with urs and build those life long memories.🙏🏽🤙🏽

Jmulvihill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Aloha @Jmulvihill I too did the same thing I purchased a 2015 AR240, after purchasing seen all the threads and post on timing chain issues after the fact. I lost a lot of sleep over it, and it’s still in the back of my mind. But I don’t let it stop me from building memories with the Ohana(family) and friends. I just baby her and try to avoid launching waves. It is hard to do here in Hawaii cause it can get chopping in the open Pacific Ocean, I just make sure as I’m going over the top of the waves to slack throttle. Just so I don’t launch off the top catching air with engines revved up and coming down and loading them up. So far so good, knock on wood. We always practice to Pule(Pray) before we head out asking Akua(God) to Bless our Yammy, and for a safe and Great day on the water. Go have a blast with urs and build those life long memories.🙏🏽🤙🏽
That is what I plan to do too RKIM. We will worry about it if it requires worrying about in the future, but not until then. Thanks for the feedback!! Have a great day!!

miket

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought a 2014 212SS last fall with the twin 1.8L HO motors with about 120 hours. After the purchase, I was doing more research on here and read about the TC issues with the '14 and pre-07/'15 1.8L engines (I guess on both the HO and SVHO motors across boats and jet skis). If I have been lucky enough to see all of the posts on here via search, the topic seems to have died off after 2016/17 and I am not seeing a huge number of people posting that they are having a huge number of these failures in the boats (skis seem to be more prevalent, but those posts have also gone down it seems).

I saw the poll that was taken, and saw that there were 57 responses with 18 people who had 2015 or older boats, and 6 of those who had the timing chain issue. Is there any info with regard to the SN of the motors that are of greatest potential issue? I assume that if it was for the entire 2014 year models for those 1.8L HO motors across all of the Yamaha boat models, then it is just somewhat of the luck of the draw as to whether it would happen. Trying to see if it is really a big issue or just one of those things that seemed to occur but is not any higher than other potential failures.

Does it make any sense to have the motors retrofitted/fixed with the new parts before a failure? If so, any guesstimates as to the cost per motor? I heard that it requires a new TC, TC gear and crank shaft (I guess the crank has the TC gear permanently attached), so it is not an insignificant fix and probably why it seemed like Yamaha just replaced the whole motor on boats where this occurred. I have not seen the cost for a full motor replacement containing the new, beefier TC either. Just trying to better understand this in a new level of detail before our first season with this boat starts up. Right now, I plan to use it as normal and let the chips fall where they may as it does no good to fret over it and may never even happen. We are pretty easy on our gear anyway, so if it is a stress kind of failure from wave jumping and loading/unloading the pumps at WOT, we may be lucky and avoid the issue as that is not how we usually run things.

Thanks all!
In April, 2019, our timing chain failed on our 2012 SX190 which totaled the engine (260 hours). Due to the log jam at the shop, was finally able to get it fixed just this month at a tune of $17,500.....a completely new engine, with the new chain set-up, was required.

There may not have been enough issues to send out a recall, but if it should happen to you, it is an awful experience. After such an experience, if it were me, I would trade in for a 2016 (or newer model) as there is no warning and the expense to fix it isn't cheap (not to mention the time lost when it is down).

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
In April, 2019, our timing chain failed on our 2012 SX190 which totaled the engine (260 hours). Due to the log jam at the shop, was finally able to get it fixed just this month at a tune of $17,500.....a completely new engine, with the new chain set-up, was required.
Evidently I should go into the Marine Engine business. ONE engine cost $17.5k? That's completely insane for a 1.8L that is used in my ski.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Evidently I should go into the Marine Engine business. ONE engine cost $17.5? That's completely insane for a 1.8L that is used in my ski.
Unfortunately... it's true.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
it is common to suggest people buy a used ski and swap the engine out Then part out the ski

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I've been working on a development project so I've been sourcing s spare motor, I promise it's not that expensive. The motor I could build for $17k would be insane. Heck, back in the day I used to build Italian horse motors for slightly more and they are mostly titanium.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been working on a development project so I've been sourcing s spare motor, I promise it's not that expensive. The motor I could build for $17k would be insane. Heck, back in the day I used to build Italian horse motors for slightly more and they are mostly titanium.
How much is a factory new 1.8 N/A (long block) engine?

--

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I think they're $8k or so. That's brand new from Yamaha though. I mean, look at what a Reman costs here. Are they the best quality? Probably not but also not $17k and likely perfectly fine for most that just zip around on a weekend.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think they're $8k or so.
If you have a source please share! I'm looking at a new cylinder head assembly, quoted at ~4k before labor, hopefully won't need new engine... quoted at ~12k for the part, no labor.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See the link I posted above
Yes, got it. At this point I would say the SBT remanufactured parts are of no interest to me. But that could change, lol.
I do not understand the price structure of those new Yamaha jet engine assemblies, it just seems like some off the wall pricing. I would think those factory parts would be about half compared to quotes I hear (before labor of course). Just to think about it... 12k buys a new jet ski with the same engine! Or a (10x more sophisticated) midsize outboard complete with rigging...
IDK, but between the folks experiencing broken TCs, and now perhaps a new trend w/cracked heads, Yamaha may be hard pressed to continue cultivating their loyal following.
Oh, well.

--

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC