• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Tips for first-time towing & wet slipping?

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So next weekend I'm headed up to a lake for my nephew's birthday (he's turning 7) with family. Since owning my boat (195S), this will be my first time pulling a tube, but we've got a 2 person tube and Airhead tow rope. Any good tips when towing the kids around on the tube, other than keeping the rope away from the impeller/jet? I'll be using the lower tow point on the transom. We'll have several people in the boat watching at all times as well.......and of course riders will be wearing their life vests!

For convenience, I have rented a covered slip at the local marina for $25 per night. This will be my first time wet-slipping the boat. I have upgraded my fenders this year to 4 6.5" x 23" Taylor Made inflatable fenders. I have 2 new 4' Airhead bungees, 3 1/2 dock lines and a bow rope. What's the best way to safely tie up in the slip? Fenders on all 4 corners and 4 ropes tied off to keep the boat in the center of the slip as much as possible? Any tips appreciated!

an idea that just came through my head. To keep the rope from sinking and getting under the boat you could cut a pool noodle and put it on the rope at the boat side. Also someone should be in charge of the rope at all times, you cant drive and do that successfully. Its really great to come out to your boat, turn the key and go. Some of the best days for me.
Bring some of those cloth shopping bags, good for hauling your drinks and ice for the coolers. Dont fret tying up the boat, if the weather is good a simple 2 lines will do fine.

Rule for tow ropes on your boat: If boat is not actively pulling the rope in a forward motion, shut the motor(s) off. When you are at idle, have your rope handler bring the rope in. If it's a tube, pull the rope in and into the boat, tie the tube to one of the back cleats at as short of as a possible length. Idling with the rope in the water, even if you "think" it's behind the boat, is the quickest way to suck up a rope.

Wetslipping - not sure what your slip looks like, but you're probably just fine to tie up to one side with the bungees and fenders. Tie up so you're snug, but still allow for some movement. You don't want the boat to bounce away and back to the fenders, but you don't want it so tight that a large wave could cause the boat to put pressure on cleats. The tower is a great place to hang a fender, but watch your pisser nozzles.

If you expect a storm, take my advice gained from a very expensive lesson, and just pull the boat out of the water.

Make sure your bilge pump is turned on and in auto mode. It seams this is handled differently as model year changes.

Back