• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To Foil or Not to Foil...

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was facing this same decision and decided on the foil vs. adding thousands of $ of pumps and bags and having to wait a while to setup and take down.
I just got to ride it yesterday and I'm glad I made the decision I did. It was a blast and there's definitely some challenge to learning it, which will keep it from getting boring. We were in choppy water most of the day that would suck on a wakeboard and the second the foil board leaves the surface it's just perfectly smooth!

RiverRat86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up getting a Liquid Force SS Surf Foil package on sale from evo.com and got to take it out for the first time this weekend. I have to say that getting used to the foil was more challenging than I thought it would be. However, by the end of the first day I was up on the foil! By the end of the second day I could ride 5-10 minutes on foil and even had some 10 second periods of slack line. I am hooked! Here's a video from the first day and one of the first times I got up on foil. You learn quickly not to let that thing breach the surface!

thompson521dc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a '17 AR190.

I'll buy a foil before I buy ballast/pumps/shaper I think. I just don't like the time/effort it takes to setup and tear down a good setup for a jetboat. A few people have made some really fast deploy systems, and have gotten the setup time down under 5min, but it's still a setup. I'm also not a fan of putting the run rail under water on purpose. I know lots do this too, just doesn't feel like a good idea for me personally.

I'm also a bit biased, because I currently ride a Wakeskate. It's the only board I carry on the boat. I takes SECONDS to setup and use. Hook up rope, toss on a vest, and jump in the water. That's it. Board stores in the locker up against the side with tons of room for other stuff, so no. Oard racks required (makes tiring up with others easier). The skate also favors less wake. Just need a tiny lip to play on, the rest of the fun is out in the flats for spins, kicklfips, pillows, etc.

I WILL be getting speed control though. Beyond just watersports, there are good benefits to cruising with a good GPS based speed control. Launch profiles, and ease of speed control for boarding will ease the strain on the driver (usually my wife) and anything that makes her day better makes my day better!

Good luck!
What wakeskate do you have? I've been thinking about looking into one.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I decided to go the foil route. Bought a cheap set up from a local guy. Wing is about 1250cm^2. I think maybe similar to the gama 68 size. This is a video of my second session and first time trying to go ropeless. I weigh about 170lbs.

First time ropeless 2nd Session

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is anyone using a 19ft to wake foil? I have a AR195 and the wakesurf was a fail. There’s just not enough push with a transom fatsac, wakebooster, and coaster xr. I’m sure the engine doesn’t care for it either.

Last edited:

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is anyone using a 19ft to wake foil? I have a AR195 and the wakesurf was a fail. There’s just not enough push with a transom fatsac and wakebooster. I’m sure the engine doesn’t care for it either.
@Nauti-Nurse can chime in on that. We’ve foiled behind his 190 quite a few times and even had some rope less moments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really want to Foil next year, is it as awesome as it looks on the lake? I saw someone doing it a couple of weeks ago.

thompson521dc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is anyone using a 19ft to wake foil? I have a AR195 and the wakesurf was a fail. There’s just not enough push with a transom fatsac and wakebooster. I’m sure the engine doesn’t care for it either.
I’ve never wake foiled, so this doesn’t answer your question but...
I have a 19ft so I wanted to share my wakesurfing experience. I’ve Got the Yamaha set up (ballast bags and wakebooster). I had the shorter hyperlite quad. Almost gave up on it, was finally able to go rope less, but only briefly. Then I bought the 5’3” slingshot coaster and I can surf for as long as I want. That board really just wants to go. At times I have put almost all my weight on my back foot to keep from running into the boat.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot to mention that’s on a coaster xr as well. With more practice I’m sure I could go ropeless but I don’t know how much fun it would be just to stay in one spot. The boat is basically maxed out at 11mph. Maybe not a big surprise but it seems to be putting a large strain on the boat/engine.
I’ve never wake foiled, so this doesn’t answer your question but...
I have a 19ft so I wanted to share my wakesurfing experience. I’ve Got the Yamaha set up (ballast bags and wakebooster). I had the shorter hyperlite quad. Almost gave up on it, was finally able to go rope less, but only briefly. Then I bought the 5’3” slingshot coaster and I can surf for as long as I want. That board really just wants to go. At times I have put almost all my weight on my back foot to keep from running into the boat.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What setup would work with a AR195 and how much?
With a 76cm or 84cm foil wing it's totally possible. @JDub is who I'd defer to in his opinion of the Infinity 84 wing.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With the right equipment and skill you can foil a jetski wake. They're so efficient that they probably triple the size of the usable wake pocket. I rarely wake surf anymore (and have a legit vdrive wave) because the foil makes the surfboard feel sluggish and restrained by comparison.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really want to Foil next year, is it as awesome as it looks on the lake? I saw someone doing it a couple of weeks ago.
It’s pretty dang fun and challenging. I haven’t had a ton of time on it yet but it’s a unique feeling when you get up out of the water. Very smooth and peaceful right up until you lose focus and let the foil break the surface and down you go!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What setup would work with a AR195 and how much?
Hey @Chris D, sorry for the delay in reply. I just got back from an overnight lake trip yesterday and I've been trying to get caught up.

If surfing with the foil is your intention, we can get you set up with either the 76cm or 84cm wing. The one disclaimer I give about foiling is that it is more challenging to learn on a larger surf wing, though not impossible. I have many customers like @Nauti-Nurse who have gone staight to the Infinity 76 surf wing and learned. The challenging thing is that the larger wings like to take flight early at low speed. The smaller 68cm and 57cm wings give you more time to get up and get stable before you bump up the speed and take flight.

Others might be able to chime in about the learning experience on the surf wings. My experience is a bit tainted because I learned to ride the smaller wing first. But the transition to the larger 76cm for me has been a learning experience all its own. Getting up and riding not so much, but feeling the wave and maintaining it is the learning curve there.

I can see you eventually wanting to be on the 84cm wing behind your 19ft boat. It's going to be the most effortless and also be the most efficient pumping. It's very stable, while still being very maneuverable. That setup all together runs ~$1530ish adding a 2nd smaller wing combination to wake style riding and easier learning would be +$475ish.

The tough break right now... nearly everything is out of stock for at least the next month... so unless a dealer has it in inventory, they're out of luck. We're rely on Slingshot drop shipping our foil products, so we're stalled out until they get more in.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for reply. Is this for a wf-1 or wf-2? What’s the difference/ recommendation? This that price OTD? Yeah shopping around I have notice the low inventory.
Thanks

-Chris
Hey @Chris D, sorry for the delay in reply. I just got back from an overnight lake trip yesterday and I've been trying to get caught up.

If surfing with the foil is your intention, we can get you set up with either the 76cm or 84cm wing. The one disclaimer I give about foiling is that it is more challenging to learn on a larger surf wing, though not impossible. I have many customers like @Nauti-Nurse who have gone staight to the Infinity 76 surf wing and learned. The challenging thing is that the larger wings like to take flight early at low speed. The smaller 68cm and 57cm wings give you more time to get up and get stable before you bump up the speed and take flight.

Others might be able to chime in about the learning experience on the surf wings. My experience is a bit tainted because I learned to ride the smaller wing first. But the transition to the larger 76cm for me has been a learning experience all its own. Getting up and riding not so much, but feeling the wave and maintaining it is the learning curve there.

I can see you eventually wanting to be on the 84cm wing behind your 19ft boat. It's going to be the most effortless and also be the most efficient pumping. It's very stable, while still being very maneuverable. That setup all together runs ~$1530ish adding a 2nd smaller wing combination to wake style riding and easier learning would be +$475ish.

The tough break right now... nearly everything is out of stock for at least the next month... so unless a dealer has it in inventory, they're out of luck. We're rely on Slingshot drop shipping our foil products, so we're stalled out until they get more in.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for reply. Is this for a wf-1 or wf-2? What’s the difference/ recommendation? This that price OTD? Yeah shopping around I have notice the low inventory.
Thanks

-Chris
WF-1 with the 84cm is what I was estimating. I'll message you this evening with the OTD.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey @Jrad, I had a question that might benefit @Chris D too.
I’ve heard the sun & heat is really bad for surf boards. I’ve asked before about the durability of the board on a board rack and you said they’re good, but I still haven’t bought a surf rack since it’s regularly 110+ here and I worry about my WF-2 sitting in the direct sun & heat when not being used.
I also can’t really fit the WF-2 board (without foil) in the ski locker without tearing the foam a little, so it ends up shoved next to the passenger seat when not in use.
Do I need to be this worried about the board in the sun? Would the WF-1 fit in the ski locker?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @Jrad, I had a question that might benefit @Chris D too.
I’ve heard the sun & heat is really bad for surf boards. I’ve asked before about the durability of the board on a board rack and you said they’re good, but I still haven’t bought a surf rack since it’s regularly 110+ here and I worry about my WF-2 sitting in the direct sun & heat when not being used.
I also can’t really fit the WF-2 board (without foil) in the ski locker without tearing the foam a little, so it ends up shoved next to the passenger seat when not in use.
Do I need to be this worried about the board in the sun? Would the WF-1 fit in the ski locker?
The epoxy boards like the WF-1 are pretty resilient. They recommend protecting them from liking term exposure to direct sunlight/heat. Because most manufacturers recommend it I'm sure there's a risk. I've left mine on the rack for several hours a day in 95° heat with no issue. But, I've taken to putting a board sock over my WF-1 when it's in the rack to perfect it from both heat and scuffing. With the soft top board, the rack could leave some impressions on the board with repeat storage. I could also see a future where the EVA could start to break down with long term UV exposure. I'm not sure how distant that future would be...?

@Nakk shared this quick release board mount a while back. It might be something to consider if your required to detach on a regular basis.

The WF-1 board is 4'6" X 21¾"X1½". I'm not sure how that scales it with the locker?

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD @Chris D and anyone else thinking of foiling.
I'll do my best to put my thoughts in good wording but i'm a little tired lol

Here's my 2 cents (despite the crazy made up coin shortage lol) Now having a Full season of foiling under my belt.
Despite years of different watersports you have to accept that these foils do come with a bit of a learning curve... It took me 3 solid days before I could learn to get up and stay on it for more than a brief 25-50 yard ride... but stick with it and it gradually gets better and better! I highly recommend 2 things, one don't use foot loops and for goodness sake please use a helmet! I took the carbon fiber foil point to the head one day and the helmet saved us a trip to the emergency room... as an ER/Trauma nurse myself... I can tell you that if I hadn't had it on... I might not be writing this.

First the board, for several reasons i like the WF-2 better. It is seamlessly wrapped in the closed cell foam, and during the learning process it docent hurt if you take a hit from it on a fall. The grip top runs almost the entire length and width, that really gives you the ability to experiment with foot placement. The protection for the boat... being new to foil and even after one season, the foil still can be a bit cumbersome moving it in and out of the boat... the soft sides help in two ways... I don't feel too bad if I bump the boat because the board can take it without damage and also the boat can take it without damage. The number of times I hit different areas of the boat, I'm sure that a WF-1 would have looked a little beat up after this season.
I do have one reason why i don't like the WF-2 and that is that its subject to some permanent "damage" indention marks from being in the tower rack. I think it was the second trip out and I found that the bungee cords on my rack put two permanent dents on the side. However being crafty I found away to still use the rack... We just happened to have paper plates with us and I folded one into quarters and used it as a barrier and poof no new indentions.
I have the 76cm infinity on mine and (my opinion only)... I feel it is the best one to learn on. Yes it gives more lift at slower speeds and that I found helpful. Starting out slower really gives you the ability to find foot placement and begin learning muscle memory. Without learning your foot placement for best control... forget it. If I tried learning at faster speeds... the foil is not very forgiving. The slower speed required for the 76 and starting off with the fuselage and mast position all the way to the back of the board you can stay on the surface of the water easily with good foot placement and for me learning that was step one. I say slower with a bigger foil is better because the year before my first attempt at a foil my friend had was much smaller and needed more speed.. it didn't go so well! lol
Once you have the stability down and the basic flight controls of the foil, I love the 76 because NO BALLAST needed!!!! I have spent some time and money trying to get my AR190 (the 195 has more power to handle more ballast and still move lol) to produce a surf wave but to my disappointment I had to accept that she really isn't made for it, esp after getting to surf behind a Tigé! The 76 has truly allowed us to foil surf 1st, 2nd and even 3rd wake back ropeless!
One great thing about the slingshot I like is that it is basically modular... once you have mastered the 76 and the 2ft mast... in more advanced positions you can easily change it up and put smaller foils and longer masts on it to move to the next level of challenge.
Overall I love the foil more than any other watersport I've ever learned (aside from surfing the Tigé, that was awesome as well). You can use the foil behind anything that can pull you at low speeds, we've done it behind the AR and even jet ski's.
The thing feels like a magic carpet ride, there isn't anything like it!
Have patience and fun!