• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To prevent sucking up debris, slow or fast?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I know on my skies if I have a passenger I yell" WEEDS" that warns them to hold on for dear life as I carve around them like a mad man, because I can and it's fun. Now in shallow water do not go slow you will vacuum the bottom however in deep water idling into weeds has worked if you are already idling otherwise blast around it and if you get a bunch learn the reverse move .

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
most of my troubles of sucking stuff up was going slow (idle) I have sucked a few things up at speed but very very rare

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Does anyone know what’s the best tool to use to remove wood chip ,without removing great or the pump, it got stock between impeller and wearing any way to remove it? I wish I have clean out port

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Get a hair dryer and dry it out , that will cause it to shrink and make it easier to remove it

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Will have to try the blow dryer. Thanks Man.

I guess an Idea if me taking this rig over to Bimini is out of the window !

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Subscribed ... I boat in tidal sandy stuff, so don’t want to hijack this thread which is focused on sub-aquatic vegetation. After reading many forum posts and watching some videos of what those jets do in shallow water ... I “GO SLOW” when at 4’ or less, to minimize impact of sand ingestion on the impellers.

Is this “GO SLOW” approach right for those of us who boat in shallow sandy situations/times, when getting the boat on plane is not an option (e.g. no wake zones, near small boats/kayaks out of courtesy, other boats moored etc.)?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My river area is sandy and shallow. On the waverunner i don't do anything different if it's more than 2'. I don't even try to drive around the sand bars. The guys in the jet boats don't even stress if it's 1' deep and they are in plane. It's not going to suck anything off the bottom more than and 6" off the jet if you are at speed. Going slow it can generate a vortex and suck up stuff from farther away.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
just for the info, was towing a board at about 18 mph , on a clean deep lake, and it caught small twig, so I think it doesn't matter slow or fast.

left the boat on a trailer, for 24h for the twig to dry helped, in removing it with a sharp metal spike

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was on the Ohio today. Had no problem all day except once. Ran at planing speed and idle speed multiple times. No problem. Ohio was FULL of small debris today. Tons of twigs, sticks, leaves and such. I don't think staying on plane or idling around made a lick of difference for us today.

After running on plane down to the waterfront, we dropped to no wake mode and tooled back up river for a bit. When I hit the throttle to get back on plane, I got no thrust and a wonky vibration. Just as I started to let out, it "hooked" and felt like someone hit the transom with a sledge hammer. Engine revs dropped, and thrust came on strong. Just like spinning tires on pavement, complete with driveline shock. Really odd experience.

ljn21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Signed my purchase papers last night and then spent a few hours on the forum here reading. Totally getting cold feet and questioning whether I did the right thing choosing a jet over an I/O 227SSX. We will be boating on Lake Wylie in SC and there is quite a bit of leaves, sticks and debris always along the shores near the boat launches. Totally sweating thinking about having issues getting out onto the lake and having to do constant pump removals to clean out. Ugh, I am killing my own purchase buzz.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other