• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To the folks thinking of buying a Yamaha: I will never buy one again.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW!!!! that definitely changes my mind about the AR line.... I was kinda throwing the idea around of sticking to the SX side of the house (little more cost efficient new) and getting a monster or aerial but now I can see the benefits of going that way... Other than cost, safety is the number one and if Yamaha can seem to accept thier design is garbage, they dont deserve the xtra 2k for the tower.....
Isn't monster the mfg in question? It's under a different name.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Living vicariously through other who have newer boats it does seem the quality control standards are lessened for each consecutive body style..

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
XTP - for OEM towers.
Monster is the commercial/retail division of same company, w/ a slightly different menu - selling to the public.

--

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
His issue (tell me if i am wrong @davel501 ) is with his treatment from customer service with the dealer and yamaha.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
His issue (tell me if i am wrong @davel501 ) is with his treatment from customer service with the dealer and yamaha.
My issue was with the poor attitude of the customer service rep and Yamaha not standing behind their products. I have personally experienced 2 issues that I would have expected a recall to be issued for. When I called in looking for ideas on just where to take it to get fixed or even to buy a new tower without the insane dealer markup I was shouted down and told there was no issue and no help would be offered.

The thread has gotten a bit mixed with folks talking about the AR issue which I believe is with Monster/XTP towers but don't quote me on that last part.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The pre-2010 Yammies are solid. Also, the way they tested those hulls and towers in the ocean back then was just UNBELIEVABLE.

I would bet an 2008-2009 230 Yammie has had fewer problems, on average, that a Tidewater. Tidewater has had plenty of issues, gel coat and such, one great thing about them - Yamaha LEGENDARY outboards. (Not to be confused with Yamaha jet boat division.)

Yamaha did not take the 2008-2009 boat market turn well, and they seem to have been run by lawyers and marketing people, not designers and engineers ever since.

--
Lol, Tidewater does have issues, I’ll be the first to point that out....but please, provide an example of “gel coat and such”.

Picking random boat issue and applying it without knowledge won’t fly.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It still was a very negative experience for @swatski in dealing with Yamaha and there handling of his issue.
His issues while different from yours had the same outcome....... 0 help from anyone. And his was on a less than yeat old boat

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Called Yamaha today about my engine problems. First guy was nice, he transferred me over to someone else that handles issues directly. I asked if they could do anything in form of compensation and said they couldn't do anything until boat was fixed and wanted to see how long I would be out of the boat. This guy was pretty nice as well, he knew the service manager at my shop by name and said he would follow up with them and then me right after on Monday. Also said whatever parts they needed he would expedite the shipping. We will see how it plays out... still frustrated in general but the Yamaha has been nice so far.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3 of my neighbors on the lake bought new Yamaha jet boats this year. I don't know how to break the news to them that they bought POS boats. . They seemed so happy.

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All tiger boy does is complain how bad the Yamaha's are, yet he continues to lurk on this board even though he sold his POS. Get a life dude.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
we can disagree and still get a long.. i am disapointed is the way yamaha has treated some of my forum mates and some of the quality control issues but i disagree with yamaha being a pos... but its all good... everyone has their opinions.... i personally think fords are trash and like dodge instead... others cant stand dodge and like fords... i would not go so far as to call a specific persons vehicle a pos but i still dont like ford... however we can still get a long. Each person has their own experience with different brands.... as stated above i love my pos but others may turn their nose up at it... and that is their right... it will not affect my day on the water.. i think everyones opinion is valuable even when i strongly disagree.... i dont want any member who contributes to the discusions and educates others to leave... CT has a life time more experience on the water than i do. I enjoy his videos and learn something new everytime i watch them... its ok to have a different opinion.

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problem with different opinions, but a lot of us spent our hard earned money buying our Yamaha. We take pride in them. We don't come to these boards to hear other members call them POS. I doubt you would go to a Ford board and call their trucks POS. You may not last long. Just "my" opinion. Maybe I'm in the minority.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finally understand where the POS talk came from after reading back (not something I said).

As much as I hate Yamaha right now I wouldn't call their boats POSs. My frustration is they have recognized and fixed their mistakes in newer products. They are evolving the boats and making them better +100. My problem is that they refuse to stand behind their product by fixing known defects -1000.