• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Tow Vehicle

This and why do you think a pickup isn't practical? Do you have a bunch of kids that you have to haul around that you need 3rd row seating? To me other than that scenario a pickup is more practical than an SUV.

I put carpet in my bed and a hard tonneau cover, the back of my truck is basically a giant trunk now.

This and why do you think a pickup isn't practical? Do you have a bunch of kids that you have to haul around that you need 3rd row seating? To me other than that scenario a pickup is more practical than an SUV.
Amen. I was loaned a 2021 Yukon Denali to haul my daughter and her college friends to and from a music festival. This thing list priced at $95,000!! It was dream to drive, and I was tickled to have the opportunity. I tried to justify why I would want it over my Sierra Denali, and I could not think of a way to justify it.

For me, the practicality of a pickup with a bed for dirty items, outweighs the practicality of three rows of seats and water tight capacity. That's why they make both, as everyone is different. But the need for one or the other should be very obvious. I will never see me replacing my truck with one. But my wife on the other hand, could drive one. She just loves smaller vehicles than the full size of my sierra or a yukon.

100% agree here.

I just moved from a fullsize pickup (2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT) to a 3row SUV (2017 Audi Q7). If I didn't need the extra seatbelts in the Q7 I wouldn't have made the jump back to an SUV. The pickup is every bit as much of a swiss army knife as can be, just only holds 5 persons. About the only thing the SUV does better is the ride quality on my daily commute. Most everything else is a wash or model/make/feature differences. In terms of "getting things done", it's exceptionally hard to beat a fullsize pickup.

I agree. Although my Explorer is a great tow rig, I have no use for a 3rd row seat. But I have a ton of storage when the 3rd row is down, Getting a truck when all this madness ends.

Is not practical for the sole reason that it would be a primary vehicle for my wife.

Is not practical for the sole reason that it would be a primary vehicle for my wife.

This should be an easy sell to her. My wife loves my truck. She can run over curbs and what not.

This should be an easy sell to her. My wife loves my truck. She can run over curbs and what not.
I used to....years ago....say "I love my wife, but she runs into shit"......She was super happy with our Yukon. The short wheelbase made parking a breeze and the giant sidewalls meant she had to pay less attention to curbs. It was honestly a win/win/win for us.

I have a Jeep JKU but I have been reluctant to use it because the tow rating is only 3,500 pounds.

Cooling capacity is what limits the tow rating on most vehicles. I'm pretty sure Jeep keeps the rating so low on the Wranglers because they're less stable than other SUVs at high speed. Towing around town at lower speeds for shorter distances it shouldn't be an issue. That being said, the rating should be followed in most circumstances.

Like with most topics I feel there should be a PSA or a STICKY... that precede all the different ways of doing the same thing. lol Lot of good info on Tow Vehicles and how to not be the guy leaving the launch with bald tires. As previously mentioned each manufacture has devolved their own unique AWD/FWD system and the best way to find out how it works is to know your Rig. That thing in the glove box is full of useful specific information that is designed to cover your choice of Tow Vehicle.

I will be launching my new to me boat for the first time this weekend and have researched and watched countless videos covering as much as i can pack into my brain. This group/site/forum by far has been the TOP resource for all things about making it fun and home safe. I am old enough to know that the P word (patience) will be the most important thing to bring along. Also young enough to pick one of the coolest boats on the water. :cool::cool:☀☀

When in doubt, check your owners manual as to what setting you should be in on dry pavement. It'll tell you. As a general rule from past years, 4Hi doesn't allow for the difference in wheel spin between the inside and outside wheel (the outside has to travel further in a corner). Newer "Auto" systems will allow for that. My old '97 Explorer also has 4Auto, 4Hi, and 4Lo. 4Auto was fine until taking off in snow as the rear would spin a bit before the front engaged. Thus, I'd drive around in town in 4Hi...but that's OK as the roads were covered in snow anyway.

On the boat ramp, its also a best rule of thumb to put your system into 4Lo is you have it. That's a lot of weight on a sometimes steep uphill grade, so give your driveline a break and put it in Low if you have it.

My SQ7 doesn't have a Low, but it does have "off-road" which is what I put it in when on a ramp. This changed the traction control and raises the air suspension by an inch (which is helpful on a shallow angle ramp I use sometimes. And oh yeah, if you want something fun to drive and also tows well, that SQ7 is a beast: 500hp, 568lb torque, twin turbo v8. Towing the 242 up to Tahoe earlier this summer on those 6% grades, it was like, OK...I'l give you some more turbo boost and we'll do this at the speed limit.

My recommendation is get something that's rated to tow your boats weight and also suits your needs for those days you're not towing. I would have gone with a RAM 1500, but considering I only two 1500-2000 miles per year, that's a lot of truck to drive the other 15-18k.

I put carpet in my bed and a hard tonneau cover, the back of my truck is basically a giant trunk now.

I have a Bedrug in the hard cover on the back of my Ram. You get the look and comfort of carpet, in an ultra-tough 100% polypropylene (essentially plastic) product. Pretty much stain proof and even is suppose to stand up to battery acid. I love it.

Jim

2021 Jeep GC V6 rated for 6200lbs towing 2022 252SE 6200lbs fully loaded.
D6B132D9-B0BD-4580-BF23-02E80AC769CE.jpeg

Back