• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow vehicle ?

pumps and hose

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well folks I'm with out a tow rig at this point. Luckily I'm in northern Il so no big deal. Plan was to grab something this spring. I'm really taking a liking to the 13' and 14' Toyota 4 runners but they come with a 4.0 v6 rated to tow 5k lbs. My 13' sx210 is around 4400 on the trailer I think (can't remember). Any expierience here in the group with the 4 runner with the v6. I'm not at all opposed just not sure considering I sold my 06' for f250 with the 6.8 v-10 Yes overkill but I never even knew the boat was back there!

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With only a 5k tow rating that technically only leaves you 600 lbs (3 - 4 adults and no gear) to be able to put in the 4 runner. Will it do it? Yes. Would I do it? Not for very far. It's low tow rating isn't because of power issues. The 4.0 pulls ok, but it's wheel base and suspension that are what you should be concerned with. More suspension than anything. Some vehicles with similar wheel base can tow a lot more ( Jeep Grand Cherokee) because their suspensions were designed with that option in mind.

Another issue is if you are beyond a vehicles technical load limits and get into an accident insurance doesn't have to cover your vehicle. They will cover the damage you caused to others but not your own vehicle in most cases.

pumps and hose

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good points. My biggest concern was adding a trans cooler.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Adding a trans cooler is always a good idea.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A small s10 would pull the boat... keeping it straight and stopping it is the big things... u will be towing at or above your max each time...

pumps and hose

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yah as I've read further into the vehicle tonight it's a no go. 80% of towing capacity is a max for me and I'd be at 88. Before I add the crew and coolers etc...if it had the v8 anymore I'd be set. Looking to the tundra now.

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@pumps and hose I don't know what you are looking to spend, but we tow with a Lexus GX460 which is basically a 4-Runner with a v8. It's a nice vehicle and tows pretty well, I believe it is rated for 6500 lbs. Does a great job with our SX210 and i suspect it would do ok with a 240 also. Just a suggestion.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While the 4Runner's towing capacity lags behind the Grand Cherokee, Toyota adheres to SAE J2807, a towing standard that when adopted by domestic manufacturers will likely result in lower tow ratings.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting you say that. Ram has adhered to the standard with its heavy duty trucks (2500 and 3500) since the 2014 model year, something Ford and Chevy still don't do until they release their next line of HD trucks. All 3 follow it now for 1500 trucks. For Ford the only truck outside the F150 that follows it is the F450, which arguably is not in the same class as a 3/4 or 1 ton. Tow ratings have not gone down, nor will they with each new truck that comes out. Only reason Toyota ratings decreased in 2011 is because they didn't do any actual redesign, and instead keep choosing to simply do face lifts.

All that said I'm not sure if Jeep or any other SUV adheres to it outside Toyota. Regardless of rating standards, being near the max number is not the best idea.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@pumps and hose I have a 2014 Tundra and it pulls my 242ls great! As far as fuel economy it is the worst of the bunch. I average 14-15 mpg on the highway. When towing on the highway I get 7-8mpg. Lucky gas is cheap.

pumps and hose

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the 4Runner came in a v8 that'd be awesome. But it's only a 6. Looking at a 13' tundra right now!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@pumps and hose I have a 2014 Tundra and it pulls my 242ls great! As far as fuel economy it is the worst of the bunch. I average 14-15 mpg on the highway. When towing on the highway I get 7-8mpg. Lucky gas is cheap.
@BlacklimitedS yikes... I thought my 2005 durango with the hemi in it was bad but she gets between 11.5 and 12 towing...

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's the primary reason I got rid of my '14 Tundra. Badass truck though.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@pumps and hose One thing to consider is the 26 gallon fuel tank. The 2016 tundra's have a 38 gallon tank. When towing my range drops to a little under 150 miles per tank!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got a Dodge Ram 1500 with the extended cab. Its a heavy duty version. It pulls my boat fine. Tundras are nice but very expensive when compared to US trucks.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your looking for a mid size SUV I'm pretty sure @veedubtek towed his 240 from NC to Ft Lauderdale using a Volkswagon Touareg. Any of the full size SUV's obviously will do this with ease. You can find dodge Ram's on the used market cheap and probably a new one for what you will likely pay for a used Tundra. Now I will admit I'm not the biggest Dodge fan but they are sharp looking trucks.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, Dirks Touareg TDI pulled the 242 with ease, but it's more expensive than any 1/2 ton truck (55K). And my Ram was quite a bit more than my Tundra (36K? Tundra, 42K Ram), of course the diesel had alot to do with that.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length