• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow vehicle ?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, diesel jacked it up like 4 or 5K. Plus full quad cab, 4x4, etc... I'm actually about to trade it in and they are offering 33 on trade. Seems you can buy a new ram anywhere from 20-60K, and they all look basically the same. No clue how any of em retain any value.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just one small note on the weight rating (and it sounds like you are on the right track here, so I have no concerns):

Note that the boat weight is the DRY weight. That means it does not count anything you might have in the boat. Like beer, ice, gas, an extra battery, skis, boards, amps, etc. The fuel alone is a pretty big ticket item. The rest of the little things add up. Better to be safe than burning out a transmission or breaks...

We went with an Audi TDI Q7. If memory serves, it had a towing capacity of like 7400. Yes, very pricey. But it is the wife's vehicle--need I say more?

jtink

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just traded my 07 Sierra for a 14 ram with a 5.7
If your looking for a truck that can tow with a touch of luxury, this is the truck.

Make sure you get the comfort package,
I got mine with around 30k miles for 28k. Crew cab 4x4 heated seats, nav, heated steering wheel, backup camera, etc...

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I also recommend a 1/2 ton pickup truck. I have 2013 F150 FX4 (see profile pic) and love it. It has a small 5.0 V8 that is rated to tow something like 9,000 lbs. She will scream to be a smaller V8. Plenty of power and torque. I believe it's rated at 360 hp, and 380 ft lbs torque. Amazing how nice trucks are these days. My F150 is nicer than the lexus I traded in for it.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I first got the boat I towed it with the Cayenne Base (same set-up as the Toureg) and it did fine. Did it work hard, yes, but the rig never felt insecure. That var was rated to tow 7700 pounds and I figure with my 232 Limited S on the trailer she's about 5300-5500 kitted out. On the highway empty that car would 21-22 and with the boat it'd get about 14. Pull it up to lake Tahoe and she was guzzling premium at about 11mpg

I now have upgraded to a Cayenne Diesel. Love it. Of course the diesel will tow like a beast. On the highway it gets about 31mpg and with the boat it'll usually get around 18-20.

The Toureg, Cayenne, Q7 have all been out for several years and could easily tow your boat.

As for the 5000 tow rating with your boat, I'd pass...as that's pushing it right to the max all the time which means something is more-likely to break. Instead I'd go with something that gives you plenty of cushion in weight.

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Dodge MEGA cab (YES its a HEMI):thumbsup:, I towed from AZ to South Florida, with the truck loaded, with belongings , Wife, Daughter and two dogs as well as the boat loaded (probably to loaded) and averaged 11 -12 mpg - Travel speed average 65 MPH except up the hills, down to 55-60, even though the speed limit in south texas was 80.

This was a year ago and gas was NOT as cheap as it is now.

I have been looking at the new Chevy Colorado (Diesel version) reported it can tow 8500 lbs. Since they are new they are PRICEY $$$$$$$.

Good luck on this quest.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Dodge MEGA cab (YES its a HEMI):thumbsup:, I towed from AZ to South Florida, with the truck loaded, with belongings , Wife, Daughter and two dogs as well as the boat loaded (probably to loaded) and averaged 11 -12 mpg - Travel speed average 65 MPH except up the hills, down to 55-60, even though the speed limit in south texas was 80.

This was a year ago and gas was NOT as cheap as it is now.

I have been looking at the new Chevy Colorado (Diesel version) reported it can tow 8500 lbs. Since they are new they are PRICEY $$$$$$$.

Good luck on this quest.
For the money you'd be better off sticking with a half-ton or if you want diesel move up to 3\4. You wouldn't have near the room in the Canyon that you have now and I've heard that they ride worst then our trucks unloaded.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got the 2011 Grand Cherokee Hemi V8 Overland. Hemi towing power without the truck, 7400 pounds towing capacity. The Overland has air suspension and keeps it perfectly level, even with 5500 or so pounds on the back. Granted I just got my 242LS, but we towed a 5000 pound camper previously with no issues. Typically get 18-20 MPG on the highway, with the very tall camper, i was usually 12 or so. Not expecting any issues towing it up to 100 miles to Lake Erie.

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For the money you'd be better off sticking with a half-ton or if you want diesel move up to 3\4. You wouldn't have near the room in the Canyon that you have now and I've heard that they ride worst then our trucks unloaded.
I am Gonna Stick with what I have. Nothing beats or even comes close to the cab space.

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am Gonna Stick with what I have. Nothing beats or even comes close to the cab space.
I heard that, love my mega cab!! with a loaded boat and bed with me and 3 passengers, 19-20 mpg, 5.9 ofcourse

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recently purchased a F150 and one of the reasons was how big the cab space was. I watched a review on YouTube and it mentioned the F150's crew cab had more leg room then a 7 series BMW. I didn't buy it until I jumped back there myself and was really surprised. I'm sure its not a Mega Cab but it's very roomy.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 15 1500 RAM Laredo crew cab 4x4 with the 5.7 with the 8 speed trans. I love the truck and it does a great job pulling. The 8 speed I could do without. My last one had the six speed which I thought was better. The goal of the 8 speed was a little better gas mileage. On the highway doing 80 I get about 20-21. If I drop down to 65 I get about 21-22. I haven't measured it pulling but have guessed it is around 15-16. The truck has everyone plus and was listed at $50K. But there all kinds of ways to get that price down. The day to day ride is the best!

Binymac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently sold an '08 Silverado 1500 and picked up a '11 Sierra Denali HD ........... I love my Denali HD so far ! Here are some photos.

upload_2016-6-16_11-55-43.png

upload_2016-6-16_11-56-0.png

Binymac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think one of the best, most reliable tow vehicles on a budget is the first generation Toyota Sequoia .... Toyota reliability with a V8 engine and very specious.

upload_2016-6-16_12-10-56.png