• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Vehicle Dilemma...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You can pooh-pooh Ryobi all you want, but I have been very pleased with my Ryobi lawn tools. My mowers (upgraded to a 20" brushless from my 4 year old 13" mower - only replaced it as the old one was to small for trimming around the new house), blower, and weed wacker have all worked flawlessly over the last 4+ years.

Jim
I’d argue my Ryobi tools are more reliable than a Toyota 😂

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can pooh-pooh Ryobi all you want, but I have been very pleased with my Ryobi lawn tools. My mowers (upgraded to a 20" brushless from my 4 year old 13" mower - only replaced it as the old one was to small for trimming around the new house), blower, and weed wacker have all worked flawlessly over the last 4+ years.

Jim
When it comes to Ryobi vs Milwaukee or similar comparisons, ryobi or similar while is great for the homeowner and will last pretty long for you. A contractor who uses this stuff every day will stay away from it for the most part. I see guys buy it when they start up but end up getting the more expensive brands because they just don't hold up to the constant use in daily work conditions

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When it comes to Ryobi vs Milwaukee or similar comparisons, ryobi or similar while is great for the homeowner and will last pretty long for you. A contractor who uses this stuff every day will stay away from it for the most part. I see guys buy it when they start up but end up getting the more expensive brands because they just don't hold up to the constant use in daily work conditions
I did Voice/Data cabling installation for a few years. We ran DeWalt everything.

Just like iPhone vs Android, once bought into an ecosystem it was hard to stray away from it.

I have some Ryobi stuff at home. Most notably a 4stroke weed eater/blower thing. On season 8 of using with zero issues. Lives under the deck all year and always starts first pull. Have done quite literally ZERO maintenance on it. Aside from sounding like I'm carrying around a go cart, it's been great for me.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My feelings are hurt? lol I'm not sure where you could get that. It is well known that JD Power rankings are not impartial. Manufacturers pay for them. Not to mention they are all about how reliable a vehicle is in its infancy.
I was going off the tone of your writing, not the content.

Aside from paying for Consumer Reports data, I'm open to other sources of reliability data. Please share if you have some, would be interested to see what else is out there?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Aside from paying for Consumer Reports data, I'm open to other sources of reliability data. Please share if you have some, would be interested to see what else is out there?

1662939875850.jpeg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Jim
Wasn’t pooh-poohing anything ;)
They are great for the price. They aren’t as good as Milwaukee though if you’re a professional or something. I’ve had a few break, HD has been good about warranty.

A369AF6D-00C2-416F-A6C6-4C9115077502.jpeg3E82694F-8831-4041-B7B9-9C24EBF29B55.jpeg6CE91BE0-6A5C-4281-B7A0-2DCA9835C283.jpeg

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length

I'm not paying for CR either. We know what the historical reliability is. You even admitted that in the past there was a difference. It would seem to fall to you to prove your theory with data.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I did Voice/Data cabling installation for a few years. We ran DeWalt everything.

Just like iPhone vs Android, once bought into an ecosystem it was hard to stray away from it.

I have some Ryobi stuff at home. Most notably a 4stroke weed eater/blower thing. On season 8 of using with zero issues. Lives under the deck all year and always starts first pull. Have done quite literally ZERO maintenance on it. Aside from sounding like I'm carrying around a go cart, it's been great for me.
Sure they are fine for home owners. Contractors require something better. Again, I guess if Milwalkee isn't better, and they cost more, contractors must be morons. Seems unlikely.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ryobi tools are probably good enough for most people. I went Milwaukee based on their best in class impact gun for working on cars. Unfortunately, with battery operated tools, you're pretty much locked to one brand unless you are gonna spend a LOT of money on multiple battery platforms.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sure they are fine for home owners. Contractors require something better. Again, I guess if Milwaulkee isn't better, and they cost more, contractors must be morons. Seems unlikely.
The definition of Quality usually includes a product meeting the specifications and requirements of the customer. It should take into account aspects such as pricing and costs in comparison to the products of competitors.

I would offer that both the Ryobi AND Milwaukee tools meet this quality standard. The Ryobi tools meet the need for most home owners and the Milwaukee tools (more durable and expensive) meet the need of contractors. The Milwaukee tools are not necessarily better, but meet a different set of requirements than those of the DYI'er.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The definition of Quality usually includes a product meeting the specifications and requirements of the customer. It should take into account aspects such as pricing and costs in comparison to the products of competitors.

I would offer that both the Ryobi AND Milwaukee tools meet this quality standard. The Ryobi tools meet the need for most home owners and the Milwaukee tools (more durable and expensive) meet the need of contractors. The Milwaukee tools are not necessarily better, but meet a different set of requirements than those of the DYI'er.

Jim
Agree.

I design industrial machines across a wide range of industries. We have medium, heavy, and extra heavy duty. Our pharmaceutical customers don't get the same build as our foundry customers. Different design criteria, and workload in general. Likewise, the customers that need really light duty, they get sent across the street because we can't (and don't want to) compete in that market.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jim
Technically, the pricing and costs are immaterial to quality. You might set a high dpmo or similar target for a lower cost product, or reduce the screening and testing done, but cost is not a factor in quality usually. No manufacturer has said "let's not make this one as well because it's a low priced product".

Where cost comes into play is design. You design it to use cheaper materials and components, you design your process to be sloping but faster, things like that.

Semantics, I get it, but working in manufacturing I had to point it out.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree.

Pricing and costs are a reflection of the customer's needs, requirements, and expectation of the product. Going back to the Ryobi/Milwaukee example, the higher price of the Milwaukee tool is justified by the contractor having different needs, requirements, and expectations, and the design and build of the tool to meet those expectations. The average DIYer may have a different set of needs, requirements, and expectations. If both sets of customers expectations are met, then both manufacturers have built a high quality product for their customers, albeit at two different price points.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Great Toyota Ruse must be up.....behind domestic trucks by ~6:1 according to this article. Guess people are buying the higher quality domestics instead.

Or, you know, sales price and volume could, just maybe, not be the best indicator of quality. I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I have, you didn't like my data. Balls in your court.
Yeah, JD Power isn't valid. As I said, the conventional wisdom is that Toyotas are more reliable. You claimed they were, but are no longer. Would be up to you to provide data other than that which is purchased by said manufactures.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length

Jim
I guess if being more durable doesn't make them better then you would be correct.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
The Great Toyota Ruse must be up.....behind domestic trucks by ~6:1 according to this article. Guess people are buying the higher quality domestics instead.

Or, you know, sales price and volume could, just maybe, not be the best indicator of quality. I dunno, just thinking out loud here.
Toyota has never come close to the volume of domestics.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Toyota has never come close to the volume of domestics.
The big 3 have had 100 years of truck production to gain brand loyalty and fleet contracts. Not to mention the customers that buy a certain brand because "my parents and grandparents had a certain brand" mentality. I would be curious on what brands survive the next 75 years when the mass produced automobile hits 200 years.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I guess if being more durable doesn't make them better then you would be correct.
More durable could be better - at the same price point.

Joseph Juran defined quality as "fitness for use"- "An essential requirement of these products is that they meet the needs of those members of society who will actually use them. This concept of fitness for use is universal. It applies to all goods and services, without exception. The popular term for fitness for use is Quality, and our basic definition becomes: quality means fitness for use."

Thus, if a $100 Ryobi tool meets ones requirements it is a quality product. If one is a contractor and a $200 Milwaukee tool meets their requirements it is a quality product. If one is a contractor who buys a tool that does not meet their requirements (to save a few bucks - maybe with a cheaper $100 Ryobi tool) that's on the contractor.

Jim