• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hybrid tow vehicle

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As I'm still awaiting my Tesla Cybertruck (will they ever make them? I'm about 1.5 million down on the order list), I find I no longer need a 3/4 ton pickup. Most of my towing is with a 12ft v nose cargo trailer, weighing no more than 4000lbs.

I do get firewood a few times a year, so need something capable offroad. The only SUV that comes to mind rated to tow 6000lbs or more and factory equipped with a 7 pin harness is a Grand Cherokee.

The 4xe is out of my price range so I'm looking at a 2019 or 2020. Any other good options out there with similar off road capabilities and tow capacity? I'd really like a PHEV but trying to keep this one under 50 000 cad (37 000usd).

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I'm still awaiting my Tesla Cybertruck (will they ever make them? I'm about 1.5 million down on the order list), I find I no longer need a 3/4 ton pickup. Most of my towing is with a 12ft v nose cargo trailer, weighing no more than 4000lbs.

I do get firewood a few times a year, so need something capable offroad. The only SUV that comes to mind rated to tow 6000lbs or more and factory equipped with a 7 pin harness is a Grand Cherokee.

The 4xe is out of my price range so I'm looking at a 2019 or 2020. Any other good options out there with similar off road capabilities and tow capacity? I'd really like a PHEV but trying to keep this one under 50 000 cad (37 000usd).

Ford F150 with PowerBoost will get you a hybrid driveline. As will the new Tundra. Doubt those are gonna get into your budget though.

If it's just mild off roading (gravel roads, grass fields, things like that), then you could get away with several EV's with a decent set of tires and marginal ground clearance. Volvo, Audi, Tesla, Hyundai all make pure EV's with a tow rating in the 4k range. Not many with that 6k rating you're looking for. Not sure any can be found in your budget though.

Not sure a PHEV exists beyond the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler 4XE that has any level of tow rating and serious off road chops in the same package.

I'll be curious to see if anyone comes up with something in this price range with the capabilities you're looking for.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Have you tried looking for a used 4XE? Not sure if the market is any better than new. I think Biden signed into law that you can get rebates on used PHEVs now. 37k is a tough budget for your need, even the Cybertruck would have far surpassed that.

What is the reason for upgrading?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Does the 3/4 ton truck need to be replaced or do you want to replace it?

With a 40K (US) I'd be looking at a used late model gas 1/2 ton pickup.

Jim

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I looked into the 4xe. my commute is 44 km, so I don't think I fit into the ideal use case. That and it's a relatively new system with a lot of complexity... If it could do 100 km on electric, I'd reconsider.

As for price, well, yes, I could spend more. But ultimately I feel some good options will be available in 3-5 years and during this time my F250 is going to depreciate really rapidly (13 US MPG)! It's still in great shape, no rust, 2015 with only 84000km. So really, I'm just looking for something to last me until more electric / hybrid options become available.

I've had pickups for over 10 years.... just ready for a change as there's really nothing revolutionary on the market right now (R1T/R1S and CyberTruck being unobtanium...). My offroad adventures often take me 400-450 km, which an EV, even in 5 years won't be able to do...

I guess I've just talked myself into gas or diesel.... dang.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would hold on to your 250 for another year or two.

We have a 4xe Wrangler and love it but dnt Have a daily commute. We live in a densely populated area and in the city we can squeeze close to 35 miles out of it.

I think prices of gas/diesel trucks are going to hold study for a long time. The range restrictions of EV vs the range capability of a truck will help hold their value. Any rapid loss of value is due to used car prices as a whole, and I think a diesel 250 will weather that quite well. 20 years old diesels still go for more than brand new base 1/2 gassers.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

If you don't exclusively want a hy rid, the new pathfinder does 6k pounds, explorers can do 5600 pounds, they have a PHEV Lincoln version too. Outside of that, there's the old gm hybrid and old Durango hybrid.

Outside of that, pretty much any body on frame suv will tow that.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would hold on to your 250 for another year or two.
This is what we are doing with my wife's 2007 Jeep Commander. I'm ordering new tires and wheels (original ones look like crap) and we are keeping it for two more years. By then, I expect to have a nice selection of new EV/PHEV's to choose from.

Jim