• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Vehicle Dilemma...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, JD Power isn't valid. As I said, the conventional wisdom is that Toyotas are more reliable. You claimed they were, but are no longer. Would be up to you to provide data other than that which is purchased by said manufactures.
Then what data is valid?

JD Powers is acceptable, you just think it's not based on, from what I can tell, a single opinion piece.

Here's a pretty decent review of how JD Powers works. Interesting that they use Toyota dependability as an example, then go on to say you should use the result with a grain of salt. They also confirm that automakers have to pay to use the awards in marketing. To be clear the results are still independent of the payments.

Found the above with the search "Is JD Power Trustworthy". It was the top result.

Here is the top result for "Is JD Power Garbage"

Here's the top result from "most trustworthy car reliability data"

I had a lot typed out here. A novel worth. Fuck it, I'm out. It's just not worth it.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Great Toyota Ruse must be up.....behind domestic trucks by ~6:1 according to this article. Guess people are buying the higher quality domestics instead.

Or, you know, sales price and volume could, just maybe, not be the best indicator of quality. I dunno, just thinking out loud here.
I wonder how many light pickups the US and state governments buy a year. Equal to Tundra sales? Less? More?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Worth mentioning, a friend of mine once said "Tundras ain't real trucks, thats why they're called TOY OTAS, they're Toys not trucks!".

I hope this adds to your discussion :)

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
More durable could be better - at the same price point.

Joseph Juran defined quality as "fitness for use"- "An essential requirement of these products is that they meet the needs of those members of society who will actually use them. This concept of fitness for use is universal. It applies to all goods and services, without exception. The popular term for fitness for use is Quality, and our basic definition becomes: quality means fitness for use."

Thus, if a $100 Ryobi tool meets ones requirements it is a quality product. If one is a contractor and a $200 Milwaukee tool meets their requirements it is a quality product. If one is a contractor who buys a tool that does not meet their requirements (to save a few bucks - maybe with a cheaper $100 Ryobi tool) that's on the contractor.

Jim
I certainly agree that the average homeowner doesn't "need" to buy contractor grade tools. When I was a contractor I did buy them. But now that I'm not, I have no issue buy something like Ryobi. Of course as has been mentioned, with cordless, you become married to a brand based on the batteries.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I wonder how many light pickups the US and state governments buy a year. Equal to Tundra sales? Less? More?
Agree. "Fleet" vehicles, would rarely be anything other than domestic brands.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Then what data is valid?

JD Powers is acceptable, you just think it's not based on, from what I can tell, a single opinion piece.

Here's a pretty decent review of how JD Powers works. Interesting that they use Toyota dependability as an example, then go on to say you should use the result with a grain of salt. They also confirm that automakers have to pay to use the awards in marketing. To be clear the results are still independent of the payments.

Found the above with the search "Is JD Power Trustworthy". It was the top result.

Here is the top result for "Is JD Power Garbage"

Here's the top result from "most trustworthy car reliability data"

I had a lot typed out here. A novel worth. Fuck it, I'm out. It's just not worth it.
The 2 issues with JD Power are that people pay for the results and probably more importantly they only judge the initial purchase. There is no long term data like what Consumer Reports uses. I only provided that one particular link, to what is common knowledge about JD Power.