• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow with windshield closed or open?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not sure if it really matters, but is there a safer way to tow; windshield closed and latched or open and strapped?

Additionally, is it going to be more aerodynamic to tow with the windshield open or closed?

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's better to tow closed and latched and at highway speeds with the cover on. You'll lose less stuff like cushions and cup holders and beer koozies that way. The boat will also stay cleaner.

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I tow with the cover on so I have to close the windshield.

If you tow without the cover, I guess it doesn't matter as long as the windshield stayed strapped.

We found that towing with the cover is more practical as there is no chance of anything blowing out. Some say it is impossible for the seat cushions to blow out, others say it happens. With the cover, fortunately I will never find out. Since the SX192 has a bimini top, it needs the cover on to hold it in place while towing. We can also leave wet items in the boat for the tow home.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you're towing uncovered the winshield open or closed is only about 1/3 of the glass area so should not make an appreciable difference. As others have said keeping the wind from grabbing your seat cushions would dictate keeping it closed.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If I am only towing to the lake across town (speed limit 35 all the way) I will sometimes just have the bow cover on, bimini up and windshield closed. (After posting this I realize that is exactly how I have the boat set up in my signature photo, for a tow across town)

If I go further or on roads with higher speed limits I will have the bimini stowed and cockpit cover on as well.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I tow, the towing cover is on. Not only does this keep things from flying out, it keeps people from looking in. Additionally, I always seem to come back from the lake with wet pull toys, life jackets, towels, ropes, fenders, etc. Most of those will go onto the already wet carpet as shown in the picture below at the end of a Shasta trip a couple of years ago. Once I'm home, it all gets hung to dry.

The benefit of not putting it all away back under the seats is those compartments stay dry and thus have way less of a chance to mold.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was instructed by my dealer on delivery that towing with the windshield open was a recipe for a broken windshield. I did not get details, but that is what I was told. I have never towed with it open, cover or no cover.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so I have to ask now I guess I'm doing something wrong but I tow with the cover on but the strap for the anti pooling poles goes through where the windshield is so how do you guys tow with the cover on and window closed? I guess I could pull the poles but the would leave the cover looser and be more prone to tears and rips while towing as the best way to tow with a cover is as tight as possible so it doesn't have a lot of movement during towing.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't tow with poles. Windshield closed and noodles on top of windshield frame. I also heard closing the door is a good idea too but have never really ridden back there to tell for sure!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok so I have to ask now I guess I'm doing something wrong but I tow with the cover on but the strap for the anti pooling poles goes through where the windshield is so how do you guys tow with the cover on and window closed? I guess I could pull the poles but the would leave the cover looser and be more prone to tears and rips while towing as the best way to tow with a cover is as tight as possible so it doesn't have a lot of movement during towing.
You will rapidly wear a hole in the cover at the corners of the open windshield if you tow with it open and the cover on. The strap should just go over the windshield.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always tow with my custom snap-on covers on. A couple of years ago I went to the lake with a friend. I was following him and he had his boat uncovered. While on the highway one of his seat cushions took off like a kite and bounced down the highway. It was completely destroyed and cost $350 to replace.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't tow with poles. Windshield closed and noodles on top of windshield frame. I also heard closing the door is a good idea too but have never really ridden back there to tell for sure!
I really like your idea of noodle on the windshield frame. Thanks for that one, I am definitely going to copy.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Always tow with windshield closed and cover on WITHOUT the pooling poles installed. Noodle slit and placed around the windshield frame to keep the rubber bump stop from rubbing a hole in the cover. No issues ever!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those of you towing with out poles when you store the boat and put the poles back in do you have it set up like @Big Shasta picture or do you have the window open then? I will have to try that the next time I'm down there but I'm not sure my pooling poles will set up the same with the window closed.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I've used the polls I've always closed the windshield.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You kinda have to, or else it doesn't anti-pool?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My poles set up just as Big Shasta shows in his picture, over the closed windshield.

I always tow with the poles out, but depending on the scenario, I may leave the straps in place and simply remove the pole part. It just looks like the cover would shred where the front pole is.