• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow with windshield closed or open?

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting replies. I towed once with my Yam mooring cover on and it marked up the side of my boat, and the marks were not buff-able. My friends 2015 212X had the same thing happen so neither of us tow with it covered any longer. (I suppose they do call it a 'Mooring" cover not a 'towing' cover for a reason) Also, the amount of wind hitting the windshield causes me to leave it snapped 'open' so the wind can go right through. Only first-ups are allowed in the boat, on the floor in the open area since it's a windstorm the whole trip. No cushions to lose since they are all hinged. If I could lower my tower safely with the weight of those tower speakers, I'd do that too.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I velcro some cut open sheepskin seat belt holders over where my towing cover clips together and this tends to keep it from scratching either of my two Yamaha's. I also make sure the cover is on tight and it seems to work really well.

Paul Early

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've lost two seat cushions towing without a cover and I've had to replace a cover that I believe wore out early from towing with it based on the wear. I now use my new mooring cover only for storage or short drives to the lake and use truck bed cargo nets over the boat when I tow long distance. It also has the benefit of airing out the carpets on the way home from our longer trips to the river. The window is always shut under either of these scenarios.

Two of these, one for the bow and one for the cabin.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cargosmart-60-in-bungee-cargo-net-with-24-plastic-hooks?cm_vc=-10005

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've lost two seat cushions towing without a cover and I've had to replace a cover that I believe wore out early from towing with it based on the wear. I now use my new mooring cover only for storage or short drives to the lake and use truck bed cargo nets over the boat when I tow long distance. It also has the benefit of airing out the carpets on the way home from our longer trips to the river. The window is always shut under either of these scenarios.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cargosmart-60-in-bungee-cargo-net-with-24-plastic-hooks?cm_vc=-10005
Nice solution!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Always tow with windshield closed and cover on WITHOUT the pooling poles installed. Noodle slit and placed around the windshield frame to keep the rubber bump stop from rubbing a hole in the cover. No issues ever!!
+1

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'm part of the window closed, noodle over the top of the frame and poles in crowd.

I think that black cover with my black hull is absolutely sexy... Sexy I tell ya! LOL

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm part of the window closed, noodle over the top of the frame and poles in crowd.

I think that black cover with my black hull is absolutely sexy... Sexy I tell ya! LOL
Poles out will make that sexy cover last longer. . . .

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Do you have any pictures of this set up?

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tow with the cover on so I have to close the windshield.

If you tow without the cover, I guess it doesn't matter as long as the windshield stayed strapped.

We found that towing with the cover is more practical as there is no chance of anything blowing out. Some say it is impossible for the seat cushions to blow out, others say it happens. With the cover, fortunately I will never find out. Since the SX192 has a bimini top, it needs the cover on to hold it in place while towing. We can also leave wet items in the boat for the tow home.

Trust me ,its possible for cushions to blow out

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Trust me ,its possible for cushions to blow out

I have noodle on window, but thesis first I've heard of not having poles in while pulling. What is thinking behind that helping flooring cover last longer.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The older the model, the more likely the rear seat cushions will become airborne with the cover off. I know from personal experience, and cushions are hard to find and expensive to replace. After that lesson with my 2005 AR I closed the bow door and the window if towing with the cover off. I also installed Velcro pieces to adhere the cushions to the fiberglass. Never lost a cushion since. The noodle solution is my next project for a long trip coming up.