• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Tower Speakers Vs Hull Speakers? Need Advice!

ClemsonTigers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey guys! I need some knowledgeable advice. I’m looking at upgrading the sound system in a 195S, and I am not sure what speakers will be best for my application. I’m looking at either adding 4- 8” inch kicker speakers in the hull, or adding 2 kicker, or Revo tower speakers. My questions are as follows.:

We don’t do a ton of wakeboarding or wake surfing, so should I even do tower speakers? Advantages and disadvantages of tower speakers. Do they sound good while running for people in the boat?

Does anybody have any personal experience with the kicker horn wake tower speakers and/or Revo horn speakers? I did see hoyts build but I don’t want to go that hard in the paint lol.

Thanks in advance

the biggest thing I notice with the tower speakers is that you need a lot of power and the wind direction has the most impact on the sound. If the wind is blowing at 8mph and your going into the wind while wake boarding at 19mph the wind noise is at 27mph and it’s hard to hear. If you go with the wind it’s equal to 11mph and it sounds much better. Typically the tower speakers sound over powering and out of balance if they are set for water sports. When relaxing on the beach I use the added eq to turn down the cabin speakers boost up the bass and the tower speakers sound great and use less power. The Bluetooth reaches if the boat is anchored close to the shore . American base makes a great inexpensive eq and I think it’s the biggest piece of the audio equipment that most leave out it helps to tune sound. With boat systems running in open air the system is dramatically impacted from exterior wind noise, engine noise and seated positions, from inside to out of the boat you need to tune the sound to your environment and the eq allows this quickly and easily compared to going layers deep on some of the screen settings.

No experience with Kicker marine applications. However I would say it really depends how you use the boat on which you should buy. Are you trying to listen to music just inside the boat while under way? Or is it more important to you to listen to music while anchored out and you are out of the boat? If it is solely for you to listen while cruising around the 4 speakers inside the boat is the way to go. That is the first upgrade I did, however I am anchored out a lot and like to listen from the water or beach. Therefore I am now adding tower speaker, I got a head unit that I can control different zones so that it doesn't sound out of balance either.

i just added two Kicker 6.5 tower speakers to my AR210... they make a huge difference outside the cabin... from the sundeck back to the swim platform...... i don't do ANY wake boarding... they are normally above my bimini so there dont affect the cabin very much... the bigger change was adding the first of 2 10" kicker free air subs in the cabin and using the crossover in the head unit... and I agree I have the fader controlling the 2 tower speakers and the two at the rear bench on the rear L/R channel and the lower in cabins on front L/R and Subs on the Sub L/R channel

8 channels of 100W each to the mid/high and 2 channels of 200W to the Subs all at 4 ohms I'm very happy with quality (note the other sub will be here Monday, its wired just not installed) and whilst cruising at hull speed the music easily out levels the Twin MR-1 HO's but I turn it off when i throttle up cause the engines sound so cool... In addition to my Iphone when in cell coverage I can also feed XM radio thru the AUX in from the Garmin 545SX when Im in or past the content keys beyond cell coverage...

attachment - 2022-09-25T191938.963.jpgattachment - 2022-10-08T114925.509.jpgattachment - 2022-10-16T212542.925.jpgattachment - 2022-10-16T212550.678.jpgattachment - 2022-10-16T212559.963.jpgattachment - 2022-10-16T212610.951.jpg

@MrBubbaGump those are good points. We will definitely be doing a lot of floating / hanging in the water behind the boat so I think I’ve settled on adding 1 set of tower speakers.

@84rzv500r that is a nice setup! I’m sure you have no troubles hearing music while running! That is something I need to fix. When we are cruising, the audio is barely audible. Having said that, the wet sound speakers that are stock sound really good when stopped.

@Hoyt I was told by many people you’d be the guy to ask on this. I think I’ve decided to add a set of REV 8,s and stick with the stock wetsounds 5.5’s. (I want the REV 10’s but the wife thinks they look too big lol) Is there one amp that can run the needed wattage to the stock 5.5’s and also power the REV 8’s? I want to keep it as simple as possible. Also I know you have the rev 10’s but with this set up would I have a decent amount of bass? I don’t particularly want to add a sub right now but it needs to be respectable.

@Cambo thank you for the input. Well right now when moving, you can barely hear the music. Anything would be an upgrade

@MrBubbaGump those are good points. We will definitely be doing a lot of floating / hanging in the water behind the boat so I think I’ve settled on adding 1 set of tower speakers.

@84rzv500r that is a nice setup! I’m sure you have no troubles hearing music while running! That is something I need to fix. When we are cruising, the audio is barely audible. Having said that, the wet sound speakers that are stock sound really good when stopped.

@Hoyt I was told by many people you’d be the guy to ask on this. I think I’ve decided to add a set of REV 8,s and stick with the stock wetsounds 5.5’s. (I want the REV 10’s but the wife thinks they look too big lol) Is there one amp that can run the needed wattage to the stock 5.5’s and also power the REV 8’s? I want to keep it as simple as possible. Also I know you have the rev 10’s but with this set up would I have a decent amount of bass? I don’t particularly want to add a sub right now but it needs to be respectable.

Some food for thought here. The power requirements between the stock Wetsounds 5.5 and the Rev8/10 are very different. While you could get one amp to do them all, you'd be overpowering the 5.5 to feed the Rev8/10. Example: the 5.5 take 50W RMS, while the REV8 take 200W and REV10 take 300W RMS. At a minimum to feed those towers using (1) 6-channel amp, you would need something like the Wetsounds Syn-DX6 that can send 125W/channel to the 5.5's and 150W/channel to the towers (this would be suggested for Rev8 only, if you did Rev10 the towers would still be underpowered).

Second thought - neither the Rev8 or Rev10 are going to produce bass or improve that situation inside the boat. They're made for long distance projection and you will be disappointed if you are looking for in-cabin low end. Frankly, the 5.5's even if powered well aren't going to get much below 100hz so if you want that you will need to add a sub of some kind. The easiest option will be a powered sub, although keep in mind you will need to cut a hole to vent whatever compartment you keep it in (otherwise, it's a pretty muffled sound).

Third thought - Due to the forward swept tower on these boats, the positioning of the tower speakers puts a lot of sound on the rear passengers. Like, it can be uncomfortable for them. You absolutely must have a zone control of some kind on the towers. If you don't do much tow sports, then adding big towers may not get you to where you want to be. If you simply want music for when anchored, some people here have had success with powered soundbars, like the Wetsounds Stealth 10. If you really want towers, and don't do tow sports, then consider a coaxial-type tower speaker like the Wetsouds Icon-8 that will sound better near field than the horn-type Rev8's.

Final thought - If you really don't know what you want, start with some sort of amp on the cabin speakers and see what you think. Off the head unit only, I agree they're poor. If you amp them, I think you will be very surprised how they come alive. Something like a Wetsounds HTX-4 would do nicely on those. After that, you can figure out some sort of tower setup.

Context: My previous setup in a AR195 was 4x Revo6 cabins & 2x Icon-8's on a Syn-DX6 , and 1x powered 8" sub. I was very happy near field, but tow distance was marginal since those towers just can't project 60' back with the engine screaming. I used a WS-MC-20 head unit that gave me zone control for the towers.

Hey guys! I need some knowledgeable advice. I’m looking at upgrading the sound system in a 195S, and I am not sure what speakers will be best for my application. I’m looking at either adding 4- 8” inch kicker speakers in the hull, or adding 2 kicker, or Revo tower speakers. My questions are as follows.:

We don’t do a ton of wakeboarding or wake surfing, so should I even do tower speakers? Advantages and disadvantages of tower speakers. Do they sound good while running for people in the boat?

Does anybody have any personal experience with the kicker horn wake tower speakers and/or Revo horn speakers? I did see hoyts build but I don’t want to go that hard in the paint lol.

Thanks in advance
21 195s here. All our equipment is WS. The 4 stock speakers are hard to hear when cruising over 20mph +/-. I added 2 additional stock 6.5's mid-cabin next to each captain's chair as part of the upgrade. As stated above if in the water on the beach or wake surfing/boarding you want tower speakers and an amp or 2 (I have two) May also want to consider a sub, I installed a 10" free air sub. In total we have 9 speakers. really happy with the results.

21 195s here. All our equipment is WS. The 4 stock speakers are hard to hear when cruising over 20mph +/-. I added 2 additional stock 6.5's mid-cabin next to each captain's chair as part of the upgrade. As stated above if in the water on the beach or wake surfing/boarding you want tower speakers and an amp or 2 (I have two) May also want to consider a sub, I installed a 10" free air sub. In total we have 9 speakers. really happy with the results.
I guess I should have added that I have the 6 cabin speakers and sub on zone 1 and the towers on zone 2.

Back