• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing a 242 with or without a cover

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I towed about an hour to the gulf this weekend with the OEM cover <not plastic shipping cover> installed and on the way back without.
Does anyone else notice a difference in towing with or without a cover?
It seems to tow smoother without...am i crazy?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've towed from VA to NY (Long Island) a few times, a few years ago (previous Yamaha) and I used to tow without the cover, with the windshield held open.
My logic then was to decrease the wind resistance and minimize gelcoat wear from the cover rubbing.

Now considering the 14 hour tow to Ft Lauderdale in a few weeks I find myself wondering if I still agree with my logic, with the new boat.

Love to get other input-

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I havent noticed any wear from the cover but yes windshield open seems the best airflow option for me.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I trailer long distances (anything but the trip across town to the lake) with the mooring cover and have not seen any wear or issues. You will want to have a noodle across the top of the windshield to prevent wear to the cover and putting a tube or beach ball or something in the bow to support the cover helps prevent it from sucking down too much.

I haven't towed long enough without the cover to notice a difference like you mentioned @john94si. I have the old cushions (unhinged) and worry about them flying out going down the road at highway speeds.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Towing with the mooring cover on I personally think reduces the life span of the cover. I also tow without to prevent gelcoat scratching. I keep the window closed and open the wind screen.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always tow with the cover on... I don't like all the bug splatter and road grim inside the boat and I have come awfully close to loosing cushions twice without the cover... so now it is always on.. with the yamaha cover that has the watched straps around the waist I have not seen any scratching or wear at all.... and the yamaha cover is specifically designed for towing... however they simply are not cheap!

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always tow with the cover on unless it is a short trip to our local lake. I have made 3 1,300mi trips to Lake Shasta and many 2-300mi trips and have never noticed any wear from or on the cover. In fact I waxed the boat this last weekend and paid extra attention to the area where the top rests below the rub rail. No wear whatsoever. I do run my top as tight as I feel it can handle. As I am tightening it down, I slap it to help settle it in and continue to tighten. I have never towed any more than a few miles with it off, so I cannot comment on the difference between the two methods.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have never noticed a difference in feel or mileage when towing with the cover off as opposed to on. Haven't seen any wear caused by the cover either. I always tow with it on now. Here is something to consider, if you lose a piece of the carpet you can't buy just that piece you have to buy the whole kit, new they are over $500, used hey are under $500. You can buy lost cushions separately but they go for around $400 each for the larger ones, $150 and up for the small ones. Covers are sacrificial by design, I replace mine about every 3 years. If I see a cheap shipping or mooring cover for sale I'm likely to pick it up as I'd rather spend a little now than spend a lot later. Other than the smaller cushions covers are cheaper.

Last edited:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I am making the 20 minute trip to the local river at city speeds, I will tow uncovered, otherwise cover on with not rain poles.

Adrian242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They are meant to be towed with the cover on but you can otherwise. make sure you don't lose anything.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cover on, unless it's a shorter distance. I'm biased after having a wakeboard end up on the highway when towing without a cover, but it not only does it keep your stuff in, it also keeps the inside clean. I just wish it was easier to put the poles in.

The Wanderer2

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow 3 to 4 thousand miles a year with the cover on. Used the shipping cover until it starting coming apart. The Delux cover has been round trip to Florida from Michigan twice, Table Rock and Lake Lanier once each. I'm leaving Florida tomorrow back to Michigan and the cover still looks good. I hope I didn't just jinx myself .

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, 3-4 thousand miles! Very true to your screen name. Haha

The Budnick's

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow with the shipping cover on. I bought the Yamaha cover but it seems very rippable at 70mph. My dealer told me a lot of people don't want the shipping covers when they purchase a new boat so he HAD 3 extras in the back... I now have 5 covers including mooring cover. I'll always tow with a cover on my boat. on a side note has anyone figured out a way to cover your wake tower so it doesn't get bug splatter all over it?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
almost lost one of my cover on my way home from getting the boat with NO cover... bought one right away.

I did have a SX190 that I towed about 2000miles round trip with the cover on...NO issues except the windshield punctured a hole where the hinge is...def have a pool noodle on the top .

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
almost lost one of my cover on my way home from getting the boat with NO cover... bought one right away.

I did have a SX190 that I towed about 2000miles round trip with the cover on...NO issues except the windshield punctured a hole where the hinge is...def have a pool noodle on the top .
Holy cow - @blacksapphirez you got a grown up boat now! $hit, man, looks beutiful. Pleeeese let us know your impressions.

--

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Towed 400 miles without the cover this past week because my shipping cover is on the outs and I wouldn't have been able to get a new real cover in time. I kept the windshield open and it towed like a dream. Only problem now while I wait for the cover is some neighborhood cat loves my bow cushions. I plan on using the cover for any trips over 50 miles when I get it.