• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Vehicle

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I would cross GLS450 off of your list... terrible gas mileage, sluggish engine(unless you jump to a GLS550), Afterall its a GLE with extra room in the back and drives like one. couldn't recommend for towing.

But then again, I only drove 1 time(towing, several non towing), and I normally drive a Ram1500 CrewCab 4x4
I haven't driven the 450 and the 550 is way out of my price range. I really like the Durango SRT, but they haven't updated it other than the drivetrain. The interior looks just like our current SUV. In spite of that, the SRT is still my current favorite.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the Durango SRT. The SRT is rated for 8500 lbs, and comes with launch control as a bonus.
We will need to look at it up close... That is a beast! CLose to 500lb-ft of torque.

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think he meant Expedition. Those are NICE. I was very surprised to be honest - with a test drive. Even the 3.5 sounds great with those turbos. I would also not need the long base and still be awesome hauler, which would help using it as an everyday driver.

That is actually a very serious contender. My only hesitation comes from it being the first year afterva major remodel and I am not sure what to think about the longevity of those ecoboost engines. I try to keep my vehicles forever, so that's a concern. If I knew I would be trading it in in the next 5 years or so - I think an 18 Expedition with that trailer assist would be a no-brainer!

--
Keep in mind even though it is a new model most of the parts came directly from the F150 parts bin, so even though it's new the current F150 has been out since 2015. In regards to the power train that came out in 2017, Ford completely redesigned the 3.5 Ecobooost (I'm not an expert in regards to the improvements over the 1st generation but to me it sounded like they have it figured out) and started putting the 10 speed in the F150. I currently have a 2017 F150 with he 3.5 Ecoboost and the 10 speed. While I miss the V8 sound of the 5.0 there is no comparisment when towing (I enjoy having all the low end torque and rarely go over 2,500 rpms when towing).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind even though it is a new model most of the parts came directly from the F150 parts bin, so even though it's new the current F150 has been out since 2015. In regards to the power train that came out in 2017, Ford completely redesigned the 3.5 Ecobooost (I'm not an expert in regards to the improvements over the 1st generation but to me it sounded like they have it figured out) and started putting the 10 speed in the F150. I currently have a 2017 F150 with he 3.5 Ecoboost and the 10 speed. While I miss the V8 sound of the 5.0 there is no comparisment when towing (I enjoy having all the low end torque and rarely go over 2,500 rpms when towing).
That is exactly what was a bit shocking on a test drive - the low end torque of that ecoboost 3.5 - impressive.
But it does make sense once you look at the horsepower/torque curves - it gets some 420lb-ft of torque at under 2,500RPM - that's been diesel territory!

Not to mention, the sound is kind of nice (without, and especially with, the boost on).
The one thing I did not care for was the steering ratio which feels like a bus more than a sports car, but really - so what. I prefer it much tighter - but that would not be a deal breaker by any means, while the turning radius is very good (for the size).

@CDENsomnia posted on the trailer assist which made me look into this. And I must say, it was eye opening. So much better a ride, way way nicer than what I expected based on my previous experience driving a rental expedition/excursion (~10 years ago?) - the 2018 is a very different beast!

Maybe @LeeFlan7 can give us special jetboaters.net member pricing and/or a group buy discount? LOL

--

Last edited:

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That is exactly what was a bit shocking on a test drive - the low end torque of that ecoboost 3.5 - impressive.
But it does make sense once you look at the horsepower/torque curves - it gets some 420lb-ft of torque at under 2,500RPM - that's been diesel territory!

Not to mention, the sound is kind of nice (without, and especially with, the boost on).
The one thing I did not care for was the steering ratio which feels like a bus more than a sports car, but really - so what. I prefer it much tighter - but that would not be a deal breaker by any means, while the turning radius is very good (for the size).

@CDENsomnia posted on the trailer assist which made me look into this. And I must say, it was eye opening. So much better a ride, way way nicer than what I expected based on my previous experience driving a rental expedition/excursion (~10 years ago?) - the 2018 is a very different beast!

Maybe @LeeFlan7 can give us special jetboaters.net member pricing and/or a group buy discount? LOL

--
Keep me posted on the group buy, lol.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

--
Just get ready to spend $$$. That's probably my one complaint but so far totally worth it!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I want a look at that Expedition group buy too!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

--
http://www.morepowertuning.com/mpttunes

Five star has a great tow tune as well

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I have a 2015 Lincoln Navigator L which is the long wheel base version with the 3.5 tow rated at 9000# if I remember correctly it does have the upgraded towing package. I have almost 80,000 miles now no issues I know that's still early (my 2012 Prius currently has 190,000 miles work car) but I think it will do just fine on the reliability end we can to keep it for some time to come as well. I would how ever encourage anyone looking at these to really consider the long wheel base it tows so much better and the room with the third row up is awesome still. We have had both and will no never go back to the short wheel base again biggest advantage to me is the rear tires now stay dry while launching in the regular version I would have to get them wet by a few inches. Also it seems like the @morgro269 likes the X5 why not check out the X5 35D diesel it will tow a 240 no issues.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ha!! I'm sure there is something we can work out, mates rates!

In all seriousness though, if anyone looks down that road I'd be more than happy to check out the deal you are getting, or, give anyone on here the same deals id give my own friends and family.

Group buy...sure, why the hell not!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait! They brought the Excursion back!?
My Mistake, Duh! Expedition. I have only good things to say about our 2011 Ford Edge. Its running the 3.7l out of the Mustang not ecoboost, but fit and finish is good and its been a good SUV to us. Id buy a Ford all over again.

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow my 24 with a 2010 qx56, horrible mpg around 12mpg towing at 75mph but tows really good, air ride in the back; 3rd row pretty big, only complain is that mine does not have 4x4. I want to upgrade to a f150 again next year

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you guys are interested in a Nissan or Infiniti product, I highly recommend buying before the end of March, which is the end of Nissan's fiscal year. In order to end the FY on a high note, they're discounting vehicles. Also, inventories are a bit bloated and need to move. With that, there's incentives advertised on their website as high as $8,500.
  • 5.6L DIG V8 with 390hp/400Lbft of torque
  • 7 speed transmission
  • 8,500Lb towing capacity
  • Auto-leveling rear suspension
  • spacious 3rd row
You may also consider the Armada's cousin, the Infiniti QX80, which is mechanically the same, but dressed up a bit more. I had a '14 Armada Platinum Reserve and loved it. With the smoked chrome wheels and accents, it was a head turner!

The BMW X5 is roughly the same size as my wife's Pathfinder, which I've pulled my 212X with quite a bit. Honestly, I would not want anything larger than the 21' boat behind the Pathfinder, so I can not imagine towing a 24' behind that size of a vehicle. You really need to go to a full-size SUV with a 24' boat!

I work for Nissan Corporate. If you're interested, PM me and I can get you my 'VPP Friends Discount' for your purchase.

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don' need a new work truck this year but next March I am in market for one. My 2006 titan is about to hit 200k. Will add another 40k or so to it this year.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You couldn't give me a Nissan product. We bought our first (and last) Nissan product in 2013. Several recalls and it is not very refined. Not a fan of them at all. Had plenty of friends who had Infiniti G's and Maxima's and they all had some strange issues. None of them bought another Nissan or Infiniti product.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
My (now my son’s) G has been bulletproof for 125k miles. I had a Maxima before it I put 120k miles with nothing but a couple o2 sensors I fixed myself. That said, all my friends who have had Nissans with CVT transmissions have had nothing but problems.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You couldn't give me a Nissan product. We bought our first (and last) Nissan product in 2013. Several recalls and it is not very refined. Not a fan of them at all. Had plenty of friends who had Infiniti G's and Maxima's and they all had some strange issues. None of them bought another Nissan or Infiniti product.
Torn here. My fiance had a G37S and was a great car. She was in a serious car accident and walked away fine. She bought a Q50 that was an ok car. Nothing wrong with it just boring, and nothing like the G37S. Her mom had a Q50S first model year that they lemon-ed. Her parents have a new Maxima Platinum and Murano Platinum for a few years now and no issues at all. I think Nissan has upped their game quite a bit, while Infiniti has been a let down since 2015ish.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup we have the CVT and I absolutely hate it. Wife hit something in the road in Memphis two weeks ago so her car is up there getting repaired. About 7k worth of damage from hitting something in the road. Engine cradle replaced, engine mount, axle, exhaust and a ton of other crap. Hoping insurance will total it out. She wants to go back to Honda. I will say I did have a friend that had a Frontier and he never changed the oil in over 100k miles. Not even kidding lol so I guess there is that. Most of our recalls were safety related IIRC.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yup we have the CVT and I absolutely hate it. Wife hit something in the road in Memphis two weeks ago so her car is up there getting repaired. About 7k worth of damage from hitting something in the road. Engine cradle replaced, engine mount, axle, exhaust and a ton of other crap. Hoping insurance will total it out. She wants to go back to Honda. I will say I did have a friend that had a Frontier and he never changed the oil in over 100k miles. Not even kidding lol so I guess there is that.
I would stay away from FWD at all costs. While I like my in-laws cars, I would never purchase a FWD car.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
She doesn't need RWD. AWD would be nice tho