• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing <with a Chevy Tahoe?>

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have experience towing an AR240 with a Chevy Tahoe? I currently have an F150 but am considering purchasing a Tahoe. I'm not sure how well they do on log hauls etc... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dsitton

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I currently tow my 2015 242 Limited S with a 2001 Suburban and have not had any issues. If the Tahoe is fairly new then it will tow just fine.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2011 suburban and while it does tow fine in the city, on the highway it can struggle between the last two gears.

Won't be towing too much with the burban as I just got an ecoDiesel a few months ago.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ddip1125 - We tow ours occasionally with my wife's 2015 GMC Yukon (same basic model). The vehicle tows the boat well but I would recommend checking your tires. Though there is plenty of engine power the tires are only "P" (passenger) rated tires, which means a much weaker side wall that a trucks "LT" (light truck) rating which if made for towing usually has an "E" rated sidewall. The worst I can feel is a "tail wagging" with the Yukon's tires.

I recommend a small haul around town during light traffic hours to check it out first.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow my 2015 242 LS with a 2015 Chevy Tahoe and have no issues. I actually purchased my boat in SC and drove it back home to Ohio which was about 13 hours (give or take ) . Over, around and thru the mountains, we even had some rain too.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We have a 2011 suburban and while it does tow fine in the city, on the highway it can struggle between the last two gears.

Won't be towing too much with the burban as I just got an ecoDiesel a few months ago.
ecodiesel FTW! :)

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am sure a Tahoe would tow it OK, but not nearly as well as your F150 does. Tahoe probably isn't rated to tow as much, and I would put my $ on the 5.0. I am a little biased though...;)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tow vehicle is a Lincoln Navigator I know it from the other side but it tows just fine I'm sure a Tahoe would tow about the same.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2010 Suburban and it tows my AR192 fine. I know the 242 is heavier but I still think a Tahoe will do fine. My only concern is the trans temp. On warmer days it gets around 210.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow my 242 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Tahoe should be able to tow it fine.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2010 Suburban and it tows my AR192 fine. I know the 242 is heavier but I still think a Tahoe will do fine. My only concern is the trans temp. On warmer days it gets around 210.
I used to think my suburban transmission temperature was too hot and did some research on modern GM transmissions. You can't compare these modern transmissions with old temp charts. “General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have experience towing an AR240 with a Chevy Tahoe? I currently have an F150 but am considering purchasing a Tahoe. I'm not sure how well they do on log hauls etc... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
My 2002 Tahoe towed as well as my 2008 Suburban. I think the Tahoe was rated to tow 6,.700 and my current Suburban is 7,300 lbs. The F150 depending on how they are equipped would definitely do better on long haul.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to think my suburban transmission temperature was too hot and did some research on modern GM transmissions. You can't compare these modern transmissions with old temp charts. “General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "
Thanks for the info! Looks like I can save some $$ and not buy a transmission cooler.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! Looks like I can save some $$ and not buy a transmission cooler.
I believe our Suburban came with tow package that included transmission cooler. With what I posted being said, I would want a transmission cooler.

jaldmd

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I towed mine to the marina and out of the lake with a porsche macan, a small suv with all wheel drive and it did great. You should be just fine, but give it a test drive.

Look in the owners manual to see what the limits are.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My primary short distance tow vehicle is a 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 with a 5.7 Vortec motor - pulls no problem.
Wife has a 2012 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and AWD with the load leveling suspension. You don't even know the 242 is behind it.
My truck is a 2010 F150 4x4, 4 door with the 5.4 Triton. It will pull it no problem.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tow my 242 with a 2011 Tahoe that has the tow package; tranny cooler, higher gear ratio, cold air intake, tuned and have never had an issue. Tahoe's are great trucks. I think tow capacity is around 8,500 though.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2002 Tahoe towed as well as my 2008 Suburban. I think the Tahoe was rated to tow 6,.700 and my current Suburban is 7,300 lbs. The F150 depending on how they are equipped would definitely do better on long haul.
I also have a 2002 Tahoe and it has been able to tow our 242 up and down the mountains here in Utah, 4400ft and up. You'll be fine if you stick with a good heavy truck with a good torquey V8. The engines in the newer trucks, as compared to my 275 hp, 300 ft/lb engine, have vastly improved. If I can get it done with mine, you'll have no problem with something newer. A good heavy truck will be able to not only pull it up and down the ramp, but be able to handle the trailer on the highway. Whenever the semi blasts past you, you will appreciate that stability that a good heavy truck provides. Smaller SUV's can pull the trailer, but will struggle more on the highway. Will a smaller SUV work, surely, but a full size truck, especially a pick up, this is what they were built for. From the drivetrain, suspension, frame and wheelbase. I have over 200k and have pulled just about everything I can find to hook up to it and it still gets the job done. With this size boat, I wouldn't go smaller than a Tahoe.

Good luck!

Phil Goshen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tow mine with a 2015 Tahoe 4x4 with the Trailering package .... All I can say is that it pulls better and has no issues on slick ramps that I see my friends have with F150s. In fact, one of the traded in theirs for a Tahoe like mine because of how solid and consistent it is. Also the Trailering package has the Air Lift ... that is huge when towing and have a full load for vacations. Perfect Vehicle for it ... will post a pic of it fully loaded soon.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tow mine with a 2015 Tahoe 4x4 with the Trailering package .... All I can say is that it pulls better and has no issues on slick ramps that I see my friends have with F150s. In fact, one of the traded in theirs for a Tahoe like mine because of how solid and consistent it is. Also the Trailering package has the Air Lift ... that is huge when towing and have a full load for vacations. Perfect Vehicle for it ... will post a pic of it fully loaded soon.
My wife's Denali has the air lift as well, it is a great feature. Sure beats the squatting.