• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing <with a Chevy Tahoe?>

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tow mine with a 2015 Tahoe 4x4 with the Trailering package .... All I can say is that it pulls better and has no issues on slick ramps that I see my friends have with F150s. In fact, one of the traded in theirs for a Tahoe like mine because of how solid and consistent it is. Also the Trailering package has the Air Lift ... that is huge when towing and have a full load for vacations. Perfect Vehicle for it ... will post a pic of it fully loaded soon.

Hey Phil,

What drop do you have on your hitch? I towed mine for the first time the other day and my Tahoe was higher than the trailer jack would raise. Nonetheless I had to rig it up to get it on there. I need to buy a new hitch and ball but want to make sure I don't go too low.

Haddens2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I towed my 242 behind my '11 Tahoe from Annapolis, MD to Northern Michigan without any issue. That thing is a beast.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just recently retired my '02 Tahoe and replaced with '17 Sierra 1500. I loved that truck and the Tahoe was capable of getting the job done, but it was time for a change. The difference in towing with this PU is almost criminal. I expected an upgrade, especially when moving up 15 years in creature features and other technologies, but wow. The difference between "engineered for" and "capable of" is a much wider gap than what I expected. Not looking to disparage SUV's, but I doubt I'll ever go back. My family is not growing in number and the PU design lends itself much more useful for my needs. Also, the difference in price is tough to for me to justify as well.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Wait a few months and get a new Expedition! I have a 17 F150 with the the revised 3.5 and the 10 speed and am highly impressed. I came for a 14 F150 with the 5.0 and I'll admit I miss the sound of the V8 but I would never go back. I have towed my boat as well as a landscape trailer with rock which I'm assuming was over 5,000 pounds and the low end torque is great.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 17 F150 with the the revised 3.5 and the 10 speed and am highly impressed.
I test drove the '17 F150. Very nice trucks!

Haddens2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have a '14 Explorer Sport with the 3.5 and twin turbos. Prior to that I had an '11 Tahoe z71. The Tahoe towed the boat with ease but the explorer just feels a bit too light for the job. The engine has no issue with it but you can certainly feel that you have something behind you. Just as @Bryan L mentioned, I imagine a purpose-built towing machine like a Sierra or F-150 would be a much better choice.

I too will be looking into the remodeled Expedition this fall when they release it. So far the preliminary photos of the exterior are less than inspiring but the interior looks like a major upgrade. I get A-plan pricing on Ford/Lincoln so its going to be between the Expedition and the Tahoe.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I towed my 242 behind my '11 Tahoe from Annapolis, MD to Northern Michigan without any issue. That thing is a beast.
What was your destination in northern MI, if you don't mind my asking. Those are my old stomping grounds.

Haddens2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@GTBRMC My family has a small house with a few cottages on 8-Point Lake just outside of Farwell. Definitely not too far north but good enough.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GTBRMC My family has a small house with a few cottages on 8-Point Lake just outside of Farwell. Definitely not too far north but good enough.
Ah, I've been there... about 40 years ago (srsly). :D

I grew up one county over, so I consider that area Mid Michigan. Everyone always thinks "up North" is further north than they are, LOL.

Cheers!

mpbassett44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The 5.3 has plenty of power! The transmission is what will make a difference. My 2008 Avalanche (same as the tahoe) had the 4 speed with 3.20 gears and it had problems towing. The transmission could never find the right power band going up hills. Our 2015 1500 5.7 Ram has the 8 speed and pulls with no problem. Same with my buddy's 1500 Chevy Silverado 8 speed. No problems!