• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing without boat cover - keeping seats from flying out

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you had any tips on towing without the boat cover on to keep the seats from flying out of the boat. I haven't tried yet, but I've read the horror stories about seats lifting out, and would love to avoid it if I can.

JDFester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before reading some of the horror stories on here, I never even gave it a thought. Since then, I pay extra attention to making sure the seats are all fully seated down tight in their places with no gear pushing up from below. I can't really figure where the air currents would come from to lift them out if they're in tight to each other and fully seated. I'm sure speed and road type play a role, but I do tow on the highway and pass/get passed by trucks every trip. Honestly, possibility of a rock strike to the windshield scares me more than the seats.

That said, I have pondered, and possibly read somewhere, about making snap on tether straps for the seats.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR195. the rear center seat i usually leave off since its a step. it has its own snaps. But the starboard rear seat i added nylon webbing and snaps. Screwed the opposite snaps to the hull so i can snap it down. Ive towed about 10x now with that setup and the seat traveled just fine.

Jim Crane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first year with the boat I trailered about 50 miles on I-95 and when I got to the ramp my rear starboard seat had shifted sideways and looked like it was bouncing around. Glad I didn't lose it, so now I always cover the boat when I go over 55mph. I do 45 on the water and the seats stay just fine, so I don't know what speed is too fast for the seats to stay secure. I was probably trailering at 70 mph when I almost lost it.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR195. the rear center seat i usually leave off since its a step. it has its own snaps. But the starboard rear seat i added nylon webbing and snaps. Screwed the opposite snaps to the hull so i can snap it down. Ive towed about 10x now with that setup and the seat traveled just fine.
I'm curious about this one. Do you have any photos of what you added, and links to what they are?

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Webbing (way more than i need but ill find a use for it somewhere)
Amazon.com : Strapworks Heavyweight Polypropylene Webbing - Heavy Duty Poly Strapping for Outdoor DIY Gear Repair, 1 Inch x 10 Yards - White : Sports & Outdoors

Snaps. again, way more than needed.
Amazon.com: 63Pcs Stainless Steel Fastener Screw Snap Kit, Marine Grade, 3/8" Socket #8-5/8" with 3 Pcs Setting Tool: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Thats the one mod i didnt take pics of. when i uncover the boat this weekend, ill get you some pics.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for linking these!

Did you just do one snap per cushion? I might actually look at doing this same project.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I did 2 on one cushion. Wrapped them back into each other so they are like little handles.

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will let you know My center one snaps and if i forget to take it out.... lets just say I found it 3 times floating in the floor of the boat

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my 07 I had a cushion disappeared. I bought industrial strength Velcro and that did the job for the next 2 years I owned theboat
Oh, I didn't even think about that idea...that might actually work, too.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You could use shower curtain rods and run them across the boat. I still prefer towing with the cover on just to keep rock chips, road debris damage and bug guts to a minimum.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On my 07 I had a cushion disappeared. I bought industrial strength Velcro and that did the job for the next 2 years I owned theboat
That's a great idea. I'll be doing this for sure. Our 2020 195s the rear starboard cushion is the only one not on a hinge. So I remove it, and put in truck for now.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I left the strap unhooked on my battery cover compartment and it was standing straight up I saw it in my rear mirror I was happy it held on and did not break the hinge I was doing 75 or so. I just normally make sure the cushions are snapped on for short trips. For the trip to Florida I take all the snap cushions off I do not cover because I think it just abuses the cover and 80 mile an hour winds for 15 hours.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That's a great idea. I'll be doing this for sure. Our 2020 195s the rear starboard cushion is the only one not on a hinge. So I remove it, and put in truck for now.
Sorry for delay. Was a good long weekend on the water. I made the straps a little long as it seemed shorter would be too much tension and i wanted to make sure no wind buffeting would be able to pop them off. Ive towed the boat uncovered about 15x now some times up to 75 but usually around 65-70 with no issues.

Rabbitboy1964

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you leave the tower up when towing the boat on 242 limited. Also, I don’t have any cover and just picking up the boat for the first time. Is there anything that I need to do?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Can the mooring cover not be used while towing the boat?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the mooring cover without issues. Also towing with tower up is not a problem either, never put it down, except for winter. Although it prevents us from going through some drive thru's to get a bite and the girls complain it won't fit through the starbuck's drive thru, thank god!