• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Toyota Tundra vs Ecoboost F150

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have been towing the boat (AR240) with my 2005 4runner and while it does the job it isn't been all that enjoyable.The wife is a little hesitate about buying a truck (she said she gets the next vehicle but she drives a 2012 fully loaded Camry SE) but as agreed we need something bigger. I have only owned Toyotas in the past but recently the ecoboost has caught my eye. I know there are some questions to be answered about the engine but I might give it a chance. I was wondering if any owners of both could provide some pro and cons about both.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I looked at both. The interior design and towing ability led me to the Eco. I like that the lariat is mid level but has leather and lots of upgrades. I love the Eco for towing. Ridiculous power and torque for sure. The boat is just long for the ride.

Pros, interior, towing, speed.

Cons, mpg above 65 is not amazing. The turbo kicks in and crushes it. I get 17 highway above 75 and 10 towing at 70.

I have a 2013 4x4 lariat Eco.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Any problems with the engine?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, it makes me want to test the 0-30 time at every stoplight! Nope, it runs great and the turbo is sweet when it kicks in although it sounds like an accord at idle, very weird at first.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Haven't really had any issues with my 2012 F-150 with eco. Pulled my 6000lbs camper all through the rocky mountains with no issues what so ever. Pulls the boat with ease. Only problem then what I've had is with the paint job and rock chips. But think I just got a bad paint job, no one else that I know has had issues with theirs. And I do know a lot of them!

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What is the issue with the paint?

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
just getting lots of chips on the passenger side. But I do also have a leveling kit and some wheels with a greater offset then factory. So I wouldn't say it's totally a stock problem lol

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
And like I said, that's one truck out of the 20-30 I know of that has issues. So I wouldn't be worried about that. I'd still buy another Ford.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
got any pictures of your set up?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought a 2014 but passed on the eco-boost. I believe the difference is only 1 mpg but the add to the sticker is close to $1800 approx. Plus I just like the V8, I know there won't be any bugs in that engine.

Quick tip, if you want to compare how many eco's to V-8's there are as your driving down the road just look at the front license plate. If the plate is mounted to the side it's a eco boost, if it's right in the middle it's a V-8.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have been towing the boat (AR240) with my 2005 4runner and while it does the job it isn't been all that enjoyable.The wife is a little hesitate about buying a truck (she said she gets the next vehicle but she drives a 2012 fully loaded Camry SE) but as agreed we need something bigger. I have only owned Toyotas in the past but recently the ecoboost has caught my eye. I know there are some questions to be answered about the engine but I might give it a chance. I was wondering if any owners of both could provide some pro and cons about both.

What are the bugs in the motor? Last I knew these motors were bullet proof. They did a million mile torture test on these motors before they were put into production and when they disassembled the engine every component was within factory specs. Not to mention the Baja 1000 that they entered in to see if the motor would last, not only did it last but it won it's class.

Edit: Just looked up some of the history on these motors...seems to be a condensation issue with the surging. I still want one badly and actually am going to talk to the dealer after work toady!

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The following is my opinion only. Based upon Ford automobiles (not trucks) I have driven over the years (only owned a 69 Mustang but that's different) I will never own any Ford vehicle. Not sure if the trucks are different, but if in the same family, they tend to smell the same. Poor craftsmanship; I wouldn't trust one past 30,000 miles. Remember - every vehicle usually works well the first 30,000 miles or so. I was stuck driving a few brand new Fords (Fairmont, LTD Crown Vics, P71 Interceptor, Crown Vics) over the past 30 years in police cars, (we switch 'em out every 2-3 years) and the Fords were the absolute worst cars I have ever driven - and with the "Police Package" should have been a superior vehicle. Ratty, noisy, cheap bells and whistles that failed, uncomfortable and always in the shop for one mechanical defect or another. I remember my neighbor complaining that his Ford Econoline Van was having so many mechanical issues, but it should be expected as the van had "many miles" on it. When I asked how many, he replied "about 50,000, you know, alot of miles on it." I snickered. A Chevy truck or a Honda or Toyota for that matter would barely be broken in at 50,000 miles. Get a GMC or Chevy truck. You won't go wrong. I sold my first Chevy truck (three on the tree!) after 20 years and 225,000 miles - only thing wrong with it was it started to rust out real bad after years of salt use (took it on the beach). I am now into year 13 of my Silverado - nary a problem with it at all. Ever. Yes. I am biased against Fords, based on my personal experience. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love my 2013 ecoboost. It's absolutely fun to drive. The power is just ridiculous. It has comparable or better torque/HP numbers than the 2002 Avalanche 2500 (8.1L) that I traded in on it.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I test drove a Flex Eco for 1 day, it was a beast and is still on the list to replace the wife's Lexus 330 when that time comes

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have heard about the condensation issue also and that they aren't able to clean the inside of the engine. The high heat while cleaning kills the turbos.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
seems like car companies have not figured out Direct Injection. I know a guy from KIA that said they have carbon issues on the GDI motors.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The following is my opinion only. Based upon Ford automobiles (not trucks) I have driven over the years (only owned a 69 Mustang but that's different) I will never own any Ford vehicle. Not sure if the trucks are different, but if in the same family, they tend to smell the same. Poor craftsmanship; I wouldn't trust one past 30,000 miles. Remember - every vehicle usually works well the first 30,000 miles or so. I was stuck driving a few brand new Fords (Fairmont, LTD Crown Vics, P71 Interceptor, Crown Vics) over the past 30 years in police cars, (we switch 'em out every 2-3 years) and the Fords were the absolute worst cars I have ever driven - and with the "Police Package" should have been a superior vehicle. Ratty, noisy, cheap bells and whistles that failed, uncomfortable and always in the shop for one mechanical defect or another. I remember my neighbor complaining that his Ford Econoline Van was having so many mechanical issues, but it should be expected as the van had "many miles" on it. When I asked how many, he replied "about 50,000, you know, alot of miles on it." I snickered. A Chevy truck or a Honda or Toyota for that matter would barely be broken in at 50,000 miles. Get a GMC or Chevy truck. You won't go wrong. I sold my first Chevy truck (three on the tree!) after 20 years and 225,000 miles - only thing wrong with it was it started to rust out real bad after years of salt use (took it on the beach). I am now into year 13 of my Silverado - nary a problem with it at all. Ever. Yes. I am biased against Fords, based on my personal experience. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
My history
1979 Ford Mustang, piece of shit but ran like a top.
1985 Ford Ranger
1991 Ford Ranger
1997 Ford Ranger,
1998 Ford F-350,
2001 Ford F-250,
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500,
2006 GMC Sierra Z-71,
2010 F-150, 4x4,
2014 F-150, 4x4,

Anyone see the pattern?? Tried GM trucks and hated them. Will never go back!!!!

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no experience w/ford ecoboost, except for a couple test drives.....I was very disappointed w/the motor/transmission in my sequoia and it was the main reason I traded it....

got a new Ram w/hemi and 8 spd...I get 22mpg doing 75 on the interstate and average 19-20 mixed driving....got 11.5 pulling the boat down the interstate for 8 hours to go to Table Rock

I looked at the fords and dodges and the interior of the Ford just didn't do anything for me, IMO the interior on the dodge is a hands down winner over both Toyota and Ford
@OCMD....Dude!!! its 2014[flag] seriously its time to get out from under that rock.

My uncle is a Ford fanatic (diesel)...he's a farmer and pulls heavy loads every day....has owned a ford ever since I can remember, he also trades his in every 2 years to make sure that he doesn't go past the warranty and when I was looking at trucks told me that if I was planning on keeping it, not to go Ford because I would not be able to trust it past the warranty period....also, I owned a 2010 Expedition that had 80k miles on it and the truck was falling apart...little things were breaking all over the vehicle....

That recommendation is from guy that will not buy anything but a Ford, who is also a mechanic and has worked on such a large range of vehicles it makes a lot of auto mechanics look like novices...ranging anywhere from old beaters, hot rods, custom cars, trucks, nascar pit crew, all the way up to million dollar tractors and other machinery...to each their own, but I went against his advice once and got burned, won't ever do it again