• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Toyota Tundra vs Ecoboost F150

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have had good luck with both Ford and Chevy pick ups since 2000. they are different animals and have different strengths and weaknesses. Its come down to body style and interior appointments now, my experience reliability is about =

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
agreed, when it comes down to it it's really all your personal preference if your buying a new vehicle....spend plenty of time in each, make sure you drive multiple option packages of each, that's what I did and when it came time to sign the paperwork I knew that I was getting the truck that fitted me and our family the best

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will say, if you decide on Ford, check out Fairway Ford in Ohio. You can't beat their prices. I tried... the other dealers all said "You need to just buy it there, then. I don't know how they sell them that cheap." Plenty of guys online who have bought one way airline tickets to go pick up their truck and drive it back across country.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
20140815_191956.jpg 20140712_080104.jpg Chevy cars and Ford trucks!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This might be a good thread to revive a Chevy public service announcement. Warning strong language.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I drive a Ram 1500 as my tow vehicle. I love the 5.7 Hemi / 8 speed transmission combo.

That said, we're looking at a Suburban as a second vehicle to fit the family, plus friends, plus dogs, etc. I've been reading up and seeing a lot of burning oil issues in their 5.3 engine. Making me want to steer clear, but there aren't many choices in vehicles that size. Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily, etc. etc. etc.

Seems like you can find horror stories not matter which brand you look at. Buy what you like, get the extended warranty and drive the hell out of it :)

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My history
1979 Ford Mustang, piece of shit but ran like a top.
1985 Ford Ranger
1991 Ford Ranger
1997 Ford Ranger,
1998 Ford F-350,
2001 Ford F-250,
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500,
2006 GMC Sierra Z-71,
2010 F-150, 4x4,
2014 F-150, 4x4,

Anyone see the pattern??

Yes. The pattern is you buy a new vehicle every few years, and thus have no idea how they will perform and hold up in the long run. That's why I go Chevy. My first one bought in 82 lasted 20 years before the rust started eating away at it...still ran superb; I just couldn't handle the rust anymore so bought a new 2002 - still running like a champ today. No issues. So for longevity? Stick with a Chevy truck. They last forever or until they rust out.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My history
1979 Ford Mustang, piece of shit but ran like a top.
1985 Ford Ranger
1991 Ford Ranger
1997 Ford Ranger,
1998 Ford F-350,
2001 Ford F-250,
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500,
2006 GMC Sierra Z-71,
2010 F-150, 4x4,
2014 F-150, 4x4,

Anyone see the pattern??

Yes. The pattern is you buy a new vehicle every few years, and thus have no idea how they will perform and hold up in the long run. That's why I go Chevy. My first one bought in 82 lasted 20 years before the rust started eating away at it...still ran superb; I just couldn't handle the rust anymore so bought a new 2002 - still running like a champ today. No issues. So for longevity? Stick with a Chevy truck. They last forever or until they rust out.
I can see how you would think that but there's more to the story.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
17k miles on my 13 ecoboost platinum max tow super crew 4x4. Love it. I wouldn't get the max tow again as it nukes the highway mileage. A few minor niggles like warped rotors (dealer torqued the shit out of the lug nuts), wind noise from drivers door. Otherwise great so far. I can't believe I have 17k miles in less than a year!

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@MOA_Chaser Wow those are some low prices....I have a trade, I will call him tomorrow to see what he could work out.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
All that is needed...lawsuits and complaints about ecoboost claims out the ying-yang.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ford+ecoboost+problems

There are actually some ford guys on the tundra forum. Here's a couple topics, Of course it's not about stoplight racing but it is a comparison of power
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/99201-ford-eco-boost-vs-5-7-tundra.html

Don't be surprised if your mileage sucks compared to the expected:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/101887-tundra-5-7-vs-ecoboost-mpg.html

Some towing debate both ways:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-towing-hauling/100052-tundra-vs-f150-tundra-wins.html

Bottom line for me was longevity of a small engine that is force fed vs a larger engine that has native power. I know, I know...I watched all the torture tests....Every vehicle off the assembly line would likely stand being beaten on (with factory engineers behind the scenes) for a couple months no matter how many miles it saw. And the Baja engine....All stock? just a normal engine like you would be able to get?....very doubtful. That's like saying a nascar Toyota has a regular camry engine.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can purchase an extended warranty for pretty cheap at flood Ford. I'm not an extended warranty guy but got it due to it being pretty inexpensive. My last one paid out on my Mercedes ml320 diesel with just one claim!

Id just say this. If you are getting the ecoboost for fuel economy savings, I think you'd be better off with a v8 from Chevy or ram with the cylinder deactivation. I don't see good fuel economy numbers with the ecoboost. But I have max tow like I said before. My uncle claims 22 mpg on the highway with his 3.15 rear truck. I think the ram and Silverado would be better mpg in real life.

Why didn't I go that route? Tfltruck towing test was one factor, room in rear was another, and I've never owned a Ford and liked that they weren't bailed out so I wanted to try one. In addition the payload in the Laramie longhorn limited I was looking at was 900ish pounds. Which is a joke. I'd be over limit a lot with that!. My platinum 6.5ft bed with nearly everything has a payload of 1480 lbs. If Chevy had the 6.2 out when I bought my Ford, I still think I would have ended up with the Ford because of the backseat.

Just some of my thoughts having recently gone through all this. Good luck!

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The mileage for me is low for now... if I wasn't towing my boat I'd get 16-17mpg. Everyone I've heard from has said that once the engine is broken in (about 20k) you can expect at least 20mpg out of it.

The engine with the factory tune is actually pretty underworked compared to its capabilities as well. Lots of potential left in it beyond the factory tune.

I got the extended warranty, we'll see how it shakes out over the long haul. But no complaints so far.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm a Ford truck guy and I put 150 to 200 thousand miles on them and never do anything to them except oil changes. I do trade my trucks every 2 or 3 years.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Even GM knows the advantage of a small cubic inch motor that was force fed. One of their best engines to date was a 3.8 liter with a turbo, Buick Grand National....now that's a power house of a car!! I am not really debating just looking at things from both directions. There may be a few minor issues with the ecoboost but with a warranty like 5 year/100k it tells me ford is willing to stand behind their trucks. I get a HUGE discount ( Z plan ) thru ford so that is what I buy when I buy new. My horsepower fever is still with Chevy cars!!

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can purchase an extended warranty for pretty cheap at flood Ford. I'm not an extended warranty guy but got it due to it being pretty inexpensive. My last one paid out on my Mercedes ml320 diesel with just one claim!

Id just say this. If you are getting the ecoboost for fuel economy savings, I think you'd be better off with a v8 from Chevy or ram with the cylinder deactivation. I don't see good fuel economy numbers with the ecoboost. But I have max tow like I said before. My uncle claims 22 mpg on the highway with his 3.15 rear truck. I think the ram and Silverado would be better mpg in real life.

Why didn't I go that route? Tfltruck towing test was one factor, room in rear was another, and I've never owned a Ford and liked that they weren't bailed out so I wanted to try one. In addition the payload in the Laramie longhorn limited I was looking at was 900ish pounds. Which is a joke. I'd be over limit a lot with that!. My platinum 6.5ft bed with nearly everything has a payload of 1480 lbs. If Chevy had the 6.2 out when I bought my Ford, I still think I would have ended up with the Ford because of the backseat.

Just some of my thoughts having recently gone through all this. Good luck!

not sure what year Ram you were looking at, but payload on my 1500 Laramie Crew Cab is 1469lbs, doesn't really matter to me, but wanted others to know what current year ratings are at

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used to own a 99 Chevy Z71 so I figured I would buy another Chevy or GMC. Once you get in a Ford, Toyota, or Dodge back seat, the GMC and Chevy do not compare size-wise. I crossed Dodge off my list for historical reliability. I was between the Ford and Toyota - I think the Toyota has an awkward cab setup for the driver/passenger and gets worse mpg. The one feature I wish the FOrd has is the full slide down rear glass of the Toyota.

If you want horror stories on any truck or car made, just look to the internet. That being said, I intend to keep this truck a long time and got an extended warranty through Flood Ford for a very low price. Go drive both and get the one you "like" more based on the features that are important to you. Most vehicles are made quite well these days.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Really a pissing match is all it is, ask one guy says had nothing but problems with "insert brand" ask another says "insert brand" is the best ever no problems. Really I think it's all luck of the draw and buy what you like!

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
For me it was between the Avalanche and the Toyota. When I saw the Toyota mpg That moved me to the Avalanche. I thought for some reason the Toy would be much better than the chevy, Nope so this and so far Im happy.