• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Traction mat fitment issue

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so I got Blacktip Elite ttlraction mats, and I freaking love them! One problem though. The latch assembly on the starboard side rear hatch is a half inch too far forward. With the cutout for the handle lined up, the mat hangs over the front of the hatch. Yesterday, I emailed the company I purchased from, and haven’t heard from them yet. Hoping there’s a chance they can custom “one-off” a mat with the cut-out moved forward to fit. I’m not holding my breath about it though. I guess my primary question is, are there any easy ways to move the latch assembly a 1/2” forward, short of doing all the fiberglass and gelcoat work, and then repositioning the hole, etc etc... Also, to clarify, the Port side fits like a glove, and the starboard mat mirrors the port mat perfectly. The latch is simply 1/2” too far forward. Crazy that it makes this much difference, but it does...

EDF72388-2635-4DD4-BB6A-B8BFF85AF9E1.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So Yamaha put the latch in a slightly different spot? Wow. That is a new one.

Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy fix for that one. Other than to pull it, repair the hole and redrill it. And even at that you have the hatch pattern in the gelcoat there, so duplicating that will be a bear, at least.

Only other option I could think of would be a thin plate of stainless. Cut a hole the size of the latch in it. Then drill a new hole over the bad hole, 1/2" farther up (that will be the hard part). Then set the latch in the plate and the whole assembly into the new hole. Install your mat over the whole thing. The mat adhesive will hold the plate down, the plate will hold the latch and cover the gap. Won't be the prettiest thing, but probably workable. You could also do it with some other thin metal. I would be afraid Starboard or something would be too thick.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So Yamaha put the latch in a slightly different spot? Wow. That is a new one.

Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy fix for that one. Other than to pull it, repair the hole and redrill it. And even at that you have the hatch pattern in the gelcoat there, so duplicating that will be a bear, at least.

Only other option I could think of would be a thin plate of stainless. Cut a hole the size of the latch in it. Then drill a new hole over the bad hole, 1/2" farther up (that will be the hard part). Then set the latch in the plate and the whole assembly into the new hole. Install your mat over the whole thing. The mat adhesive will hold the plate down, the plate will hold the latch and cover the gap. Won't be the prettiest thing, but probably workable. You could also do it with some other thin metal. I would be afraid Starboard or something would be too thick.
I’m not at all worried about what the gelcoat looks like, as it’ll obviously be covered by the mat, but I’m afraid the stainless option would be visible due to the cutout not being a complete circle. Of the two, I’d gravitate toward the extra work of a full repair. I’m sure Starboard would be too thick, but.......maybe I could oblong the hole, scoot the latch forward, cut a half moon shaped piece of starboard to fill the void, Epoxy it in, and finish with a layer of gelcoat.... hmmm, seems risky, but it doesn’t have to be super strong...

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Per our PM conversation I’m interested in these as well and would like to hear what the seller offers as a solution.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Per our PM conversation I’m interested in these as well and would like to hear what the seller offers as a solution.
Absolutely, I’ll update this with what I end up doing.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
0658CB90-868C-44AF-AF41-1C54D03F630F.jpeg
It certainly is beautiful, though.

MrTonyTfast

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I actually had the exact same problem today. Installed premium black tip half inch off on starboard rear hatch.0C86A4DC-034C-4972-A8C0-53CBFEDC2F84.jpeg6D7D849B-BFDB-425D-B42E-5354B109F2E6.jpeg

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol, I guess we had the same guy installing that latch assembly! So the front of your mat, that stuck out over the front of the hatch... did you just fold it down over the front of the hatch? It's hard to tell how it lays from the angle in the pic...

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrTonyTfast
And I just noticed.... Welcome to the forum! Make sure to check out the FAQ section at the top, and also the "known issues" section in the model specific section.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, they both look great!!!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@WiskyDan, just an update, I did speak with Watercraft Superstore today, and the lady I spoke to said they can custom do a mat for me. I sent them the pic showing how it's off, and a copy of the receipt so they know the colors, and they are supposed to get back to me.

MrTonyTfast

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@WiskyDan, just an update, I did speak with Watercraft Superstore today, and the lady I spoke to said they can custom do a mat for me. I sent them the pic showing how it's off, and a copy of the receipt so they know the colors, and they are supposed to get back to me.
@MrTonyTfast
And I just noticed.... Welcome to the forum! Make sure to check out the FAQ section at the top, and also the "known issues" section in the model specific section.
thanks for the Welcome... first Jet Boat.. as of now its just hanging off a little long. Probably gonna cut it for now. I also need to reach out to manufacture and get a replacemen. I purchased mine off ebay from WWWatercraft.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrTonyTfast just an offer... if yours is off by a 1/2” also, just like mine, they might do two (albeit a different color for yours) for less money (per mat) than one single mat. If you’re interested, and want me to, I can see about having them do one for you also. Just let me know. Like I said, just an offer...

MrTonyTfast

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrTonyTfast just an offer... if yours is off by a 1/2” also, just like mine, they might do two (albeit a different color for yours) for less money (per mat) than one single mat. If you’re interested, and want me to, I can see about having them do one for you also. Just let me know. Like I said, just an offer...
Sounds like a great idea. I just wonder if all the sx230 were like this from the factory and their template is wrong.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrTonyTfast PM sent. I doubt there are too many boats with the issue we are having, seems more like an isolated issue from my conversation with the lady. I'm just glad they are willing to do a custom mat to fit. Hopefully it doesn't take too long...

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you going to have to pay for the new mat or are they sending it free of charge?

pcriley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had 2 mats (blacktip elites) on my swim deck that didn't fit. They were replaced under warranty although it has taken a few tries.