• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer brakes troubleshooting

okula225

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Afternoon All,

I purchased a boat in the beginning of a cold February in NJ (crazy I know) Came with a very clean trailer, however later found that the brakes didnt work. What would be the correct process to see what the issue is? From what I can see the safety cable has been pulled out however the brakes are'nt engaged. Secondly don' know if the backup solenoid works. How can I trouble shoot the breaking system to rule out the the hardware that works without replacing the entire system?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how did you determine the brakes didn't work? did you try driving in reverse with the lights unplugged to see if the trailer wheels locked up?

What makes you think the safety cable was pulled?

Have you visually seen the surge brake frame area go back and forth when having someone put the vehicle in drive/reverse?

okula225

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how did you determine the brakes didn't work? did you try driving in reverse with the lights unplugged to see if the trailer wheels locked up?

What makes you think the safety cable was pulled?

Have you visually seen the surge brake frame area go back and forth when having someone put the vehicle in drive/reverse?

Yes I have tried driving with the lights unplugged and revers, also jacked up the trailer and the tires spun freely after the tongue was pushed back. Safety cable ball is pulled on the outside of the tongue when it was supposed to be inside. Lastly, yes the tongue does actuate back and forth without issue.

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
curious to see if anyone helps. I am having the same issue and have also tried and visually varified everything you mentioned

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I have tried driving with the lights unplugged and revers, also jacked up the trailer and the tires spun freely after the tongue was pushed back. Safety cable ball is pulled on the outside of the tongue when it was supposed to be inside. Lastly, yes the tongue does actuate back and forth without issue.
is your trailer an MFI ? I can't tell from your avatar, maybe post a picture of your surge unit or trailer make since it's galvanized,

Have you checked your fluid level?

Have you looked at our FAQ about resetting your emergency cable?

curious to see if anyone helps. I am having the same issue and have also tried and visually varified everything you mentioned
Bubba, you've got a 2018 boat, isn't your trailer also still under warranty ?

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes it is still under warranty. Just trying to see if it was a quick fix before I tow it to a dealership. It seems my emergency brake cable will not reset. Have not looked at the FAQ yet. Wouldn't that cable not resetting cause the brakes to stay locked? The reset lever under the tongue also seems like it's not working properly.

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found my problem. The fluid was low in the reservoir. Being new, I didn't suspect that as it is brand new but after reading this forum day in and day out I should have known better. Thanks

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Afternoon All,

I purchased a boat in the beginning of a cold February in NJ (crazy I know) Came with a very clean trailer, however later found that the brakes didnt work. What would be the correct process to see what the issue is? From what I can see the safety cable has been pulled out however the brakes are'nt engaged. Secondly don' know if the backup solenoid works. How can I trouble shoot the breaking system to rule out the the hardware that works without replacing the entire system?
Was the boat used in salt water ? calipers could be frozen My 2005 needed a complete overhaul the only original item was the frame. The brake kits are not bad to install replaced with flexible lines new actuator, rotors and calipers

okula225

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was the boat used in salt water ? calipers could be frozen My 2005 needed a complete overhaul the only original item was the frame. The brake kits are not bad to install replaced with flexible lines new actuator, rotors and calipers
Yeah it was, seems like that may be the issue. Taking a deeper look into it on Saturday will do some more tests and put out an update.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I found my problem. The fluid was low in the reservoir. Being new, I didn't suspect that as it is brand new but after reading this forum day in and day out I should have known better. Thanks
If it was low I'd bleed them, just to make sure there wasn't any air that may have gotten in the lines.

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. I planned on doing that. I ran out of time yesterday