• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Bunks, Loose or tight????

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Should the trailer bunks be able to move as the boat is loaded and un loaded? Or should they be tight with no give?
Thanks all.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Good question! I tightened mine up a bit but they still move and are supposed to move or have a little bit of movement to them from my understanding. That way the boat kind of falls into place

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bdog is correct. You want them to move a bit so the boat can settle onto them fully each time. If you tighten them down too much and they don't give, then you run the risk of the boat sitting on only a portion of the bunk and creating a larger opportunity for a wear in the gelcoat. Think of it like your foot in a well-worn pair of shoes...you want to be comfy without any hot spots that'll cause a blister. :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A bit loose is okay, but not much.
To give you an extreme example: I had my jetski bunks rather loose and sometime instead of the ski sitting on the wide side ( 4 inches) it will sit on the narrow side ( 2 inch ) or at times at the edge ( like described above).

What I ended up doing on my trailer is put guide bunk that pick up the keel and strained the boat out. Since I made this change my boat always sits in the same place regardless if come dead straight or a bit off on the side.

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A bit loose is okay, but not much.
To give you an extreme example: I had my jetski bunks rather loose and sometime instead of the ski sitting on the wide side ( 4 inches) it will sit on the narrow side ( 2 inch ) or at times at the edge ( like described above).

What I ended up doing on my trailer is put guide bunk that pick up the keel and strained the boat out. Since I made this change my boat always sits in the same place regardless if come dead straight or a bit off on the side.
Do you have a picture of this? My 242 ls always seems to sit alittle off center.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Put some guides on, never worry about being off center again.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You got a link to some quality guides?
I bought 60" Ve-Ve off of Amazon, some Hyperlite pads, a can of primer and a spray can of flat back truck bed liner to make them match the trailer. Looks factory mint.

7CFFD10B-C796-43D5-9A7C-D7892182D6E4.jpeg

Mobile upload turns it sideways, sorry

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20200623_164315.jpg20200623_164220.jpg
I installed these guides and they made a huge difference in keeping the boat on trailer while loading in a strong current on the river. But as you can see the nose of my boat never wants to hit the bow roller centered. Im at a lost even had the wife back me in futher and tried adjusting but once we pull out the boat always sits like this. That's why i was interested in the centering bunks

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I boat on a lake, so I do not know how well they will work on the river though. Judging from your bow picture it seems that you might have real strong current. Have you considering keeping the trailer a bit more shallow ? It might be a bit more of drug to winch in, but the extra weight will help you stay straight.

Here are 2 videos. First one showing how my center bunks work. the second one ( a bit long) you can see where the center bunks are located. You will see the brackets sticking underneath the trailer so you can see the position. Please let me know it is not clear, I will be glad to take a picture. Boats in in the garage.

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I boat on a lake, so I do not know how well they will work on the river though. Judging from your bow picture it seems that you might have real strong current. Have you considering keeping the trailer a bit more shallow ? It might be a bit more of drug to winch in, but the extra weight will help you stay straight.
Wow yeah you have a set of bunks right there at the keel. I need to check on my bunks because they are worn, maybe its throwing off the alignment on the trailer.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They should have some give on the bunks as that'll center the boat.

Once you have the boat cinched up on the tongue and trailer straps and before leaving the parking lot, while towing the boat about 5-10MPH, do a hard stop. Then to back and re-tighten your straps, then check your tongue strap. On both my MFI and Shorlandr trailers, there's some wiggle in the bowstop and doing this hard panic stop will slide the boat forward on the trailer and then once you lock in the rear straps, it won't move. Otherwise, that boat will slide fore and back on the trailer as you're driving.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They should have some give on the bunks as that'll center the boat.

Once you have the boat cinched up on the tongue and trailer straps and before leaving the parking lot, while towing the boat about 5-10MPH, do a hard stop. Then to back and re-tighten your straps, then check your tongue strap. On both my MFI and Shorlandr trailers, there's some wiggle in the bowstop and doing this hard panic stop will slide the boat forward on the trailer and then once you lock in the rear straps, it won't move. Otherwise, that boat will slide fore and back on the trailer as you're driving.
+1 on this, I do this ever time now after we pull the boat out, 5-10mph in the parking lot, slam on the brakes and get the boat to slide all the way up to the roller and then synch everything down. The ramp we use is steep and I can’t get the bow up to the stop, so this is the technique we use to get it fully up, I usually get it within 6-8 inches while loading it on the trailer and then go brake to get it to slide the rest of the way.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 123795View attachment 123796
I installed these guides and they made a huge difference in keeping the boat on trailer while loading in a strong current on the river. But as you can see the nose of my boat never wants to hit the bow roller centered. Im at a lost even had the wife back me in futher and tried adjusting but once we pull out the boat always sits like this. That's why i was interested in the centering bunks
Maybe it’s the angle of the pic but those guide bunks look like they are hitting the step in your hull a little funky. If they aren’t hitting evenly they could be pushing the boat to that side while it’s still floating and then once it’s got it’s weight on the bunks it’s stuck.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 on this, I do this ever time now after we pull the boat out, 5-10mph in the parking lot, slam on the brakes and get the boat to slide all the way up to the roller and then synch everything down. The ramp we use is steep and I can’t get the bow up to the stop, so this is the technique we use to get it fully up, I usually get it within 6-8 inches while loading it on the trailer and then go brake to get it to slide the rest of the way.
10 mph and 8 inches is bit on high side ( at least I think so ). I try to bring the boat 3 to 4 inches and hard stop from 5mph. If necessary I do it 2 or 3 times. 10mph with 8inches have the comtential to build too much momentum...

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Should the trailer bunks be able to move as the boat is loaded and un loaded? Or should they be tight with no give?
Thanks all.
[/QUOTE
Always slightly loose, as in easy to move gently with one hand. I don't like floppy but the bunks should conform to the hull not vice versa. This applies to any boat or pwc. BTW I prefer bunks to rollers as the rollers put point loads on the hull whereas bunks do not. Of course everyone knows when you park your trailer you loosen the bow and stern straps to avoid deforming your hull and BTW ll your hull - transom specifically - should not overhang your stern bunk ends as that can place a sheer load point on tour transom......and while I'm giving my 2 cents worth - I always keep a bristle brush to clean my bunks before loading my boat/pwc onto the trailer to avoid stone scratches from material kicked-up on the way to the launch ramp that then sits in the carpet of the bunks.....waiting for your hull :-( Cheers! MT

Last edited:

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
10 mph and 8 inches is bit on high side ( at least I think so ). I try to bring the boat 3 to 4 inches and hard stop from 5mph. If necessary I do it 2 or 3 times. 10mph with 8inches have the comtential to build too much momentum...
Ya I could be letting my imagination take over a little. 3-4 inches is likely more plausible and more like 5 mph.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m trying to figure out my bunk situation. Have new carpet in order and will pick up new wood when it’s time. I can’t get the rear to center and stay. When we come out of the water I pull it straight but by the ride home it’s back to this.

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jmargo are you listing to port while towing ?? that is odd. My 2012 sx240 ( same hull with you, but different trailer) has been to Florida and Arizona without moving during transport. It is very odd that you are always see it moving on one side., I wonder if the stars are still doing their job.
Is your boast probably secured, like touching the bow roller and the rear straps are not loose when you are arrive at your destination?
Anything odd about the route you re taking ?

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jmargo are you listing to port while towing ?? that is odd. My 2012 sx240 ( same hull with you, but different trailer) has been to Florida and Arizona without moving during transport. It is very odd that you are always see it moving on one side., I wonder if the stars are still doing their job.
Is your boast probably secured, like touching the bow roller and the rear straps are not loose when you are arrive at your destination?
Anything odd about the route you re taking ?
Just replaced the roller with a Stoltz and the rear straps do loosen after a few miles once it settles back to the one side. It doesn't look to be hurting anything and the current carpet is worn but not through and no hot spots. The bunks have been replaced at some time. They may have been installed off a bit. When I put the new ones on I plan to start from scratch and measure the holes. The lower bunks may be in worst shape than I can see.