• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Bunks, Loose or tight????

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe your trailer has fixed bunks, so it theory they should be symmetric and I cannot imagine that last time they were replaced they were seriously misaligned. It could be but it would take some skill. That being said, the way your boat is fine, it is not that I will worried that any damage will be cased or anything, I just think it is odd it is keep moving on one side.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the idea of the extended “flex bunks” @Betik installed. My carpet has started to wear through but the new boards I made last time are in good shape so I think I will just recover. I am curious about thoughts on chamfering the inner edge of the boards at the rear to lessen the pressure from landings since that would be easy before recovering.
image.jpg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will look at mine but I don't think they are worn at the contact point.

Btw, on July 1st we were out at lake Texoma and the wind was up. I had to aboard the first attempt and the second one was borderline. By the time I thought I should abort it was too late and yet sure enough a small jolt and the boat centered itself.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to route the inner edge and the back edge of the bunks before I put the new carpet on. The bow lands there with a much steeper angle than the bunks, so thinking it will lessen the stress on that part of the bunk if it is closer to the angle of the bow, especially when the ramp is shallow.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can see the inner wear on the carpet. A quick pass with a router seems like a good idea.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bunks on the MFI trailers are fixed. The tabs that mount the boards are welded to the frame and the boards attach directly to that bracket (no pivot). That creates a real “hot spot” on the inner edge of the bunks When the bow hits, so I did route them with a 45 degree but to see if it wears less this time. The chamfer tapers. Went ahead and did the outer bunks too.
5DD58A60-21CF-4D7C-9F02-06219ACE3B3F.jpeg
6B4E4009-0152-4857-8201-70D9075513E3.jpeg

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You were serious. What did you use ?
My trailer has 2 10ft 2x6's up front and 2 5ft 2x6's in the back. Are yours the same ?

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Seadeals my bunks are wearing just like yours. I have been considering doing the same thing you did. Please report back on your experience.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will do @buckbuck @jmargo i am luckily spending a week on the lake at my parents’. My dad is a serious woodworker so out came the router and a monster bit I am sure cost $50, followed by a belt sander to feather the three different depths we used to taper the edge. New carpet shows tomorrow.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A router makes it quick, but it can be done by hand too. Maybe a wood chisel and sandpaper will have the some effect just not as pretty finish. It will probably take the whole weekend to it by hand.

the best bank for your buck will be a cheap orbital sander.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All wrapped up.
FBD7A8E5-74BB-442E-964F-D0319770D2D1.jpeg
7098D96B-F84A-4501-8F23-54914210ADB1.jpeg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if possible can you post an update at the end of the season, so we see if there is any wear at all

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While I know I put much cheaper carpet on this time (CE Smith) I was still disappointed to see this wear so soon. The contact angles a must be quite different from what I figured and all my landings have been nice and smooth Though two ramps were very shallow. Had I been replacing the long bunks, I feel the idea to extend aft and provide bunk flex is a better solution.
7B02D5E4-F4C1-4736-AA79-40CBD73E9549.jpeg