• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer project #1 done

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tomorrow is replacing the brakes at the shop... But this afternoon and evening was for painting.
I'm on vacation at Cheat Lake in W. Va and since Liquid Therapy is chillin at the marina I decided today was a perfect day for knocking out this project.
I really know how to vacation... Sigh.

Attachments

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
galvanized? howd you paint it?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you expect the paint to stick to the galvanized trailer?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice @MrWizard . What did you do or plan to with the rims?

@Bruce , I spray painted my galvanized trailer and rims with truck bed liner from Home Depot over two years ago and it has held up very well. It also doubles and non skid all for less than $100 including rim covers.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@njmr2fan, after a decent amount of research, I went with Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating (spray paint)... And yes it is a galvanized trailer.

@Bruce, I'm hopeful after the reading I've done. And the prep work I did beforehand.

@Ronnie, thank you. I'm debating on getting new rims for the trailer. Any ideas on where to purchase?
Good to know yours has held up well.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrWizard, I will be excited to hear how it holds.

How does applying the paint effect the galvanic protection? I assume the paint makes the galvanizing no longer effective but also unneeded? Would you do this with a trailer that you would use in salt water? I ask the questions because I have not done the research.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't know about where to get new rims. I ended up covering my painted galvanized rims with covers from Walmart. No where near as nice as true alloy rims but no where as expensive either.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrWizard... How does applying the paint effect the galvanic protection? I assume the paint makes the galvanizing no longer effective but also unneeded? Would you do this with a trailer that you would use in salt water? I ask the questions because I have not done the research.

From what I have read, there's a few theories regarding this:
1. The paint acts a second barrier (really the first barrier against rust) and the galvanization process remains intact.
2. The paint will only stick to a trailer that the galvanization process has wore down to the point that the trailer is really no longer protected and and paint becomes a solution.

To answer your question on saltwater use after painting - I believe that I would. I really don't live near any body of water isn't fresh so this isn't a big concern of mine.
I would however bathe the trailer really well regardless if I had painted or not after dipping into saltwater.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
without painting.... how does one know whether their galvinization is still working????? Hmmmmmm....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good question.
I assume by the time you see rust it's too late to matter. Here is another one question, why aren't the leaf springs galvanized?

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
without painting.... how does one know whether their galvinization is still working????? Hmmmmmm....
Good question.
I assume by the time you see rust it's too late to matter. Here is another one question, why aren't the leaf springs galvanized?
I'm nearly positive that you're correct @Ronnie. By the time you see the rust, your top layer of protection is gone.
And I was wondering about the leaf springs too! I'm assuming that they're just meant to be a 'replace when needed part'.

I found this info on a different forum re: galvanized trailers

'...Keep in mind that galvanization is a sacrificial coating, with age and time it will wear down to the point where it's no longer able to protect the steel.
Galvanizing is a zinc coating on steel, it corrodes or erodes away with time leaving the underlying steel unprotected. Drilling through this coating exposes bare steel as well, and such a spot will always be a point of concern.
Also keep in mind that the hardware is not galvanized on most trailers, they are built this way for strength and safety, as most galvanized hardware tends to be soft and not rated high enough to handle most loads.

For years I've always painted my hardware each year to prevent it from rusting away, as well as painting my galvanized trailers which are used in saltwater. I've been using one trailer now for over 25 years in saltwater and other than a few sets of safety chains and some hardware, the frame is good as new. Springs, axles, and hardware will always be wear items on boat trailers, in saltwater its even worse. The same goes for steel fenders, which seem to be the first thing to rust out on a saltwater used trailer... '

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length