• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer suspension repair/replacement: MFI. Has anyone done it?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
its easy.. once all the weight is off the axles, (I had the frame up on 4 jack stands) everything just falls in place. you do need a jack to lift the axles up to the springs to tie them in place..

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce
It's not that bad. Have a bunch of blocks/jack stands ready, and a couple jacks. I installed the fixed end of the spring first. Then move the trailer up and down, the axle, whatever until you're able to line up the spring shackle bolts appropriately and drive the bolt through the hanger. You can get the bolts to align through jack adjustments. Hint... drive the bolts through the shackles to engage the knurls BEFORE anything else. The spring has a lot of... well, spring to it and absorbs a lot of the energy of the big hammer and you'll be beating on it without much movement if you try do do everything under the trailer. So get the bolts secured into the shackle first and then assemble it under the trailer.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what I did was tie the ends of the springs to the trailer and then tie the other ends to the 3 way block thing (cant remember what its called, equalizer maybe...) then used a jack to move the 3 way thing into place and gently slid the bolt through.. hammer not needed.. then use the jack to move the axels up to the springs.. bolt it together..

maybe thats what @MOA_Chaser was saying too..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@kthrash, is your trailer a MFI trailer and did you use 25.25" or 26" springs?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes it was an MFI trailer.. looks at my part number up there..

1 81199 SPRING,25-1/4"DE 2500#(2-BOX) 4 LEAF 2 0 $79.34 $158.68