• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer tire replacement

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Use 303 on your trailer tires year round. It will protect them from UV and dry rot.
@Scott ....great idea. The Admiral (aka my wife) in the past made covers out of scrap Sunbrella that a local shop had. At the moment we have our tires covered by some cheap pieces of UV cloth with a plastic surface. It's protecting the tires for about $2.50 each until the Admiral decides if she's going to get the sewing machine out again! LOL :cool: BTW I used the same plastic UV material to cover the winch/roller post and electrical connections at the tongue.....again a sheet of it from a dollar store was cheap. We just hold it all in place with some cheap bungee cords.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced all 5 of mine with Carlisle Radial tires. Been very happy so far, and saves a ton of money over the Goodyears.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I replaced all 5 of mine with Carlisle Radial tires. Been very happy so far, and saves a ton of money over the Goodyears.
@Daren and Heather.... Copy that - I have used Carlisle Tires on three different trailers and for some long hauls - no worries at all.....agree with you 100%! :cool:

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm in the same situation with my stock tires on my 2017 trailer. I have 3 more 230 mile trips coming up before the end of this season and am paranoid now about my stock bias tires. They've run really well for me, but I'm looking at radials now.

Costco has Greenball Towmaster tires for only $70 each and Costco is awesome about standing behind their product. What's more, they have 4.5/5 star ratings on Costco's site.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When I bought my boat 6 years ago it had "brand new" Greenballs on the trailer. One of them developed a massive side budge after I had towed it twice. I can't get the Greenballs here in Canada so went with the Marathon's

YMMV

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ncnmra , I just upgraded my boat trailer tires and rims this year and ended up buying a lot of new tires for my pwc trailer as well. I recommend that you use your spare marathon in place of the one that went bad and buy a new endurance for use as a spare. If you want matching tread get two new endurance tire and use the marathon as a spare. As you need tires, replace them with endurance models.
Two things about the tires, first you can get endurance with a c or d load rating, I went for the d rating because they are spec’d to carry more weight and up to 65 mph, they cost a little more than the c rated version but I like the peace of mind the d rating gives me. Second, the guys at America’s tire and big o tire all tell me to replace my tires before they reach 10 years old, regardless of how or where they are stored or how much mileage they have on them. This is a general guideline for all tires not just trailer tires.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed new Carlise Radials on my trailer in spring 2018 and had them balanced.

I live near Dayton, Ohio, and since the install, I have been to Norris Lake, TN. 3 times, Cumberland Lake, KY 2 times, Kentucky Lake, 1 time, Cave Run Lake in Kentucky 2 times, Lake Ozark, MO. this summer, and numerous trips (every weekend to our local lake which is an 80 mile round trip. Total is Close to 5500 - 6000 miles.

Not a single issue. Key is keeping 50 PSI in tires, having the trailer mostly level when pulling to distribute the load on as evenly as possible on both axles while maintaining a good tongue weight.

Very satisfied and a ton of tread left. I normally run at 70-73 MPH. Very Smooth.

But, I will probably replace in 2 more years to be on the safe side. See so many trailers along the road with blow out tires, wheel bearing failures, etc. knowing it just ruined ther day or part of their vacation, especilly of they do not have a spare or the equpment to change the tire or bearing.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Ronnie : I agree. I just found an online place in Canada that had stock of the Endurance, so I ordered one. I will replace the spare for the moment. The fact that they are "backordered" is bizarre to me. I guess everyone is towing during COVID 🤷‍♂️

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This may be covered earlier in this thread, definitely in another thread but I just called on a possible warranty claim for a tire that went bad in my pwc trailer. I noticed it developed a bulge a few weeks ago. The 3813 in the oval in the pic reflects the week and year the tire was manufactured, that is 38th week of 2013. So no warranty on this tire but I got about 7 years use out of it so no bitching on my part either.
FBF45042-CCB0-4B64-8845-739593512752.jpeg

Attachments

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I managed to hunt down an Endurance which I swapped for the bulged one. I will swap the remaining 3 in the spring. I will keep my Marathon spare as it has NO miles on it other than the one use recently, and it has always been hung on the trailer with a cover. I figure the spare is to limp home only anyway.