• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Tongue weight

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Any idea how much tongue weight is needed to make sure we still tow straight? I used to be able to lift the front of my trailer on my '85 Wellcraft 21' cuddy cab. With my current setup '16 212x with galv tandem axle) , I wonder if its too heavy up front.
My bow stop is about an inch from the hinge on the swing-away trailer tongue.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If its a Shorlandr, their specs on their website state 5 to 7% for duel axle. I would shoot for 7%

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any idea how much tongue weight is needed to make sure we still tow straight? I used to be able to lift the front of my trailer on my '85 Wellcraft 21' cuddy cab. With my current setup '16 212x with galv tandem axle) , I wonder if its too heavy up front.
My bow stop is about an inch from the hinge on the swing-away trailer tongue.
My bow stop is about the same on my 21’.

Im not sure how yours is but mine hangs off the back quite a bit already so I didn’t want to move back any more despite everyone saying these are tongue heavy.

Mine tows great with my vehicle so if it’s a little front heavy so be it.

6DA1A4E5-CF7E-4EBF-A407-BBB3E67814AB.jpeg52E23DCC-C5A2-44E8-B816-B95A311B53EA.jpeg

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
My bow stop is about the same on my 21’.

Im not sure how yours is but mine hangs off the back quite a bit already so I didn’t want to move back any more despite everyone saying these are tongue heavy.

Mine tows great with my vehicle so if it’s a little front heavy so be it.

View attachment 174438View attachment 174439
Yea, this is exactly how mine is set up. I was always told that the bunks should always meet the back of the transom. But my front is already really heavy. I was wondering, mostly because of how much it squats my truck...even with upgraded leaf springs

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yea, this is exactly how mine is set up. I was always told that the bunks should always meet the back of the transom. But my front is already really heavy. I was wondering, mostly because of how much it squats my truck...even with upgraded leaf springs
Mine squatted fairly bad too but I have a land cruiser and not a pickup. It might be rated for 8,500 lbs but it wasn’t set up to do that regularly from the factory.
I added cheap Firestone airbags and it’s great now at a fairly low PSI of 20ish in the bags. The bags can go up to 100.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I may have to do the bag route.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have my boat about 2 inches off the bunks. This was the only way to get the tongue weight below 500 lbs. I’m currently around 450 which is 8-9%

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your only other option would be to move the axle assembly forward. Make marks and move forward a few inches to start. Its very easy to do you just need to suspend the wheels off the ground with jack stands

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Not all Shorelandr trailers allow for axle adjustment. Model dependent.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have my boat about 2 inches off the bunks. This was the only way to get the tongue weight below 500 lbs. I’m currently around 450 which is 8-9%
How does it tow?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
How does it tow?
Excellent. No herky jerky, no sway. When the tongue weight was heavier, it was jerky. But has always handled great.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hang about 1.5 inches off the bunks and it tows so much better once I got the tongue weight down. No issues. Could slide the bunks back a bit to compensate as well.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I hang about 1.5 inches off the bunks and it tows so much better once I got the tongue weight down. No issues. Could slide the bunks back a bit to compensate as well.
I was thinking of adjusting the axle to get the balance correct, then extending the bunks so the boat is still supported. One thing on the Shorlander site was an adjustable rear crossmember. if I move it to the back set of holes, it may be perfect. I have to look, but its 25 degrees in PA today, so I don't care that much!!! Thursday should be back to about 70. That sounds like a better day to get stuff done!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I was thinking of adjusting the axle to get the balance correct, then extending the bunks so the boat is still supported. One thing on the Shorlander site was an adjustable rear crossmember. if I move it to the back set of holes, it may be perfect. I have to look, but its 25 degrees in PA today, so I don't care that much!!! Thursday should be back to about 70. That sounds like a better day to get stuff done!
I have an SUV with soft suspension and my 21ft was too heavy at around 450lbs causing too much sag. I found the winch was too forward about 2.5 inches or so, and I adjusted that back so the transom was flush with the rear bunks. I then slide the axles forward about 6 inches to get tongue weight down to about 250 lbs. It rides much better and level, plus lighter cranking of the jack to raise/lower for hitching. To do the slide, we took the boat out for the day, and when we returned near dusk, the ramps were quiet and I broke out my socket and ratchet - just mark your spot, loosen the U-bolts, chalk the wheel assembly, and back up the truck a few inches. Took me a couple tries to measure and line it up equal on both sides while my wife packed up the boat. Took maybe 20 minutes by myself. All done.

I hear some trailers are not adjustable, but I don't see why not unless aluminum welded.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear some trailers are not adjustable, but I don't see why not unless aluminum welded.
My '17 AR190 is sitting on a steel trailer, and the leaf spring mounts are welded to the frame of the trailer. No adjustment possible.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My '17 AR190 is sitting on a steel trailer, and the leaf spring mounts are welded to the frame of the trailer. No adjustment possible.
Maybe it's something they started later as I'm pretty sure I looked at a 2020 single axle and it was adjustable.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will go take a peek and mine when I get home and see what they look like. @212s Maybe the budget boats like mine get the economy non adjustable trailer :(

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The old school documentation on the Shoreland'r website talks about moving the axle, but not possible on my painted single '18 SX195. Leafs are welded.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2018 tandem axle is adjustable. The springs are connected to one big assembly that connects to the frame with two U bolts and can be placed wherever it’s needed.