• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transom Drain Plug Upgrade

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I've seen several pictures on here that show stainless steel plugs. I'm not very confident with the plastic plug that came with my 2021 212SE. It doesn't really thread easily, and only has like 2 threads on it. How durable is that? You would think Yamaha would make a point of installing a very safe and durable plug. As a matter of fact, all the plugs on my boat are like this. Any suggestions and feedback on an upgrade appreciated! Thanks

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Believe it or not those same plastic plugs are on every waverunner ever made and from every manufacturer. Never really an issue with them. I do like that stainless one posted but looks like that only has a thread or two also

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've seen several pictures on here that show stainless steel plugs. I'm not very confident with the plastic plug that came with my 2021 212SE. It doesn't really thread easily, and only has like 2 threads on it. How durable is that? You would think Yamaha would make a point of installing a very safe and durable plug. As a matter of fact, all the plugs on my boat are like this. Any suggestions and feedback on an upgrade appreciated! Thanks
As mentioned, these plastic plugs have been in service for many years and work perfectly fine. I have the same ones on my boat and I have no issue with them at all.

To help make it easier to use, grab a spray can of silicone lube from your auto parts store. Spray the plug O-ring once a week and it will keep it supple for a good seal and also will make it go in/out much easier. Also don't over-tighten the plugs, they just need to be snug - the O-ring does the work, not the threads or how many there are on the plug. And if you tighten too much you can damage the threads making a sloppy fit.

You can use the same spray lube on the clean-out plugs to keep them from sticking too. Cheap easy maintenance.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
As mentioned, these plastic plugs have been in service for many years and work perfectly fine. I have the same ones on my boat and I have no issue with them at all.

To help make it easier to use, grab a spray can of silicone lube from your auto parts store. Spray the plug O-ring once a week and it will keep it supple for a good seal and also will make it go in/out much easier. Also don't over-tighten the plugs, they just need to be snug - the O-ring does the work, not the threads or how many there are on the plug. And if you tighten too much you can damage the threads making a sloppy fit.

You can use the same spray lube on the clean-out plugs to keep them from sticking too. Cheap easy maintenance.
Thanks...I have a few cans of the Yamalube silicone spray

Dfred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As a matter of fact, all the plugs on my boat are like this.
Personal preference and situation depending...
I agree with you, first inclination was to upgrade to a “real boat” drain plug. But we found it a great help to have backup plugs onboard that could be swapped to work in the critical transom drain plug. (When it happens to get lost during trailering to the launch). OEM is cheap replacement also.
Lube and maintain them and they should work fine.
(If still a problem in 2021 model: Recommend upgrading the scupper so the plastic one doesn’t break and sink your boat.)

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Personal preference and situation depending...
I agree with you, first inclination was to upgrade to a “real boat” drain plug. But we found it a great help to have backup plugs onboard that could be swapped to work in the critical transom drain plug. (When it happens to get lost during trailering to the launch). OEM is cheap replacement also.
Lube and maintain them and they should work fine.
(If still a problem in 2021 model: Recommend upgrading the scupper so the plastic one doesn’t break and sink your boat.)
Yeah, I already purchased extra drain plugs. Cost $8. You just discard the flange. After looking at the new ones, I agree, they should not be a problem. I had a hard time putting mine back in because of all the debris. Now all is clean and lubed. Works great.