• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transom Plate / Pump Housing Replacement

chesbay007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use my boat in the Chesapeake Bay and occasionally the Ocean. Often the boat is left in the water for 1-2 weeks at a time. so, I pulled the pumps after 10 years of neglect this weekend. And it appears that I have 10 years of problems. Both transom plates have deteriorated and need to be replaced. (Has anyone ever had this problem or replaced them). Both pump housing have swollen and started to rub the impellers. Has any used used the stainless steel after market pump housing from Riva? I could only find the OEM & Riva Stainless housings. Lastly, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the impellers. They appear to be in great condition besides a little rubbing on the housing. Should I have them reconditioned or start looking for aftermarket props. If so, what do you recommend. The good news is that both bearings look great!

2005 Yahama AR230

Attachments

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
my SBT-reconditioned impellers are working out great.

i replaced my impeller housings with OEM because the Riva SS housings were a bit out of my budget at the time. i debated back and forth between the OEM and aftermarket ones with replaceable sleeves (like SBT) - to me, they balance out pros vs cons.

one of my plates has a small area of deterioration on the backside that didn't warrant a toss in the garbage (i'd definitely look for replacements in your case). it's quite a process lining everything back up, but you should be able to shim the plate to match the midshaft bearing housing and engine coupler: https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-aligning-the-powertrain.5606/

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would get the impellers reconditioned at Impros while you have them off the boat anyway. I think the cost will be under $100 including shipping both ways. Unless the impeller housing with inserts are considerably cheaper then stock I'd go with the stock. If you are just getting inserts with new housings and the stock housing is swelling it may be very hard if not impossible to get an insert into a stock housing.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get the impellers reconditioned at Impros while you have them off the boat anyway. I think the cost will be under $100 including shipping both ways. Unless the impeller housing with inserts are considerably cheaper then stock I'd go with the stock. If you are just getting inserts with new housings and the stock housing is swelling it may be very hard if not impossible to get an insert into a stock housing.
That may be a bit optimistic, unless @Ronnie means $100 per impeller. Even that will be pushing it at Impros, basic service when you done will be more like $250 for a pair with shipping both ways. About two week minimum turn around time right now, as I just did mine.
I looked at your impeller pictures again, I really do not think you will see much of a difference in performance after you are done.
The transom mounts are shot, and these unfortunately are expensive for your boat. Like $250 each.
The OEM wear rings are about $250 each, and extra +$100 if you want SS wear rings, not just SS liner. Since you are obviously not eating many rocks, you could benefit from the cheaper aftermarket rings with replaceable plastic inserts, like the ones quoted above for $100 (wear ring and insert). I am not sure what would I do, but going back with OEM at $500 you will have the same problem with bulging liner pretty fast in salt water. OEM wear ring liners are not replaceable.

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am talking about refurbing each impeller for around $100 through impros. That is $50 to $70 plus shipping. Just to get them back to factory spec. Here is the link to their page.
http://impros.com/store/index.php/services/impeller-service-pricing.html

As for the housing and wear ring, I didn't know there was an after market combo for $100 available. That's a smoking deal, the wear ring alone in my old sea doos was $30 to $40 and the housing without wear ring was close to $300 on my Mercury powered jet boat.

I think the problem if I can call it that with the OEM housing is not that the wear ring is not replaceable, it's that there is no wear ring to replace.